Insurance renewal. Recommendations?

• Hi all

Need to renew 8 series insurance on 1st April. Have had a ridiculous renewal quote of £550.00 from existing insurers. Used to insure with Hagerty on a 'future classic' policy but they seem to have binned that little avenue.
    Just tried Aviva and have been quoted £347.00 but excess of £850.00! Anyone got any other ideas?

Mileage between 3-5000 pa

TIA

• Zitat von Lloyd;87549

I with performance direct approx £200 ish I seem to remember

Weird. Just tried them and it came back at £575.00! Massive variations this year

• Hi

I am considering retiring my 840Ci to high days and holiday duty having now aquired a 4.6is X5, and with that in mind got a quote this week from Footman James for £301.00 with only £100.00 excess, 56 days European cover including breakdown, hire car, this is a "classic policy" for 3000 miles pa so no claims does not come into it! I thought that was reasonable, but you need to do some phoning around, the prices varied massively. The classic people who insure my mega rare Racing dynamics K38 for a very reasonable £234.00 wanted over £700.00 for the 840:shock2: which I really don't understand.

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Zitat von sandwich;87554

Weird. Just tried them and it came back at £575.00! Massive variations this year

Yes, a friend of mine had the same quote from them for an 840 in December, last year. My renewal was also similar, but without mileage limit, although no agreed value.

• Zitat von Herminator;87667

Try Peter Best, I've just renewed with them after failing to find anything close, although next time I'll keep in mind some of those names mentioned previously here.

Really dont know what I've done wrong! Live in a low crime postcode area, 52 years old, max 5000 miles pa, put wifey on as he said it would be cheaper. Value £7000.00. Licence since 1976. One SP30 four years ago...

All the above and was quoted £535.00!
    Can I ask Herminator. What did you pay?

• Hagerty tell me they no longer accept the 8 Series, but that as an existing customer they will continue to insure my car.
    Premium has gone up by another £40 this year to £250.
    Sounds good, but only allows 3000 miles and I am 54.

The real bonus of this kind of classic policy is that based on the pictures of my car and other details I have sent them they have set an agreed value of £10K and first refusal for salvage.
    Unless you only have one car (and need to keep your NCB on it) or have to do the miles, it looks as though these classic policies are hard to beat.

• Zitat von sandwich;87713

Really dont know what I've done wrong! Live in a low crime postcode area, 52 years old, max 5000 miles pa, put wifey on as he said it would be cheaper. Value £7000.00. Licence since 1976. One SP30 four years ago...

All the above and was quoted £535.00!
    Can I ask Herminator. What did you pay?

I pay about £650, but I'm 28 and have two SP30's from last year which add about £70-80, it was going to be another £60-70 but I increased the excess since I'd not bother claiming for a few hundred quid anyway, it would only sting me come the next insurance renewal.
    Agreed value of £7500, 5000 miles pa, only car, geordie land.

My younger flatmate who's insured with the same company has a couple of Saab 99's that he's insured for less than £180 each :roll: Neither of them could pull the skin off a rice pudding though.

• Zitat von sandwich;87940

Used to be with Hagerty but they ditched me a couple of years ago!

Sorry to hear that Hagerty ditched you - they let me renew in January, but can't say I'm confident they'll continue to offer cover next year.......

• I had been with them for a couple of years but they then said they weren't offering a 'future classics' type policy.
    I see on Pistonheads that a lot of TVR guys have had the same issue

• mmmh, I've got this upcoming in July. without wishing to insult anyone, Saga has been good in the past, but also Performance Direct. Given our age and experience, surely they must appreciate that we cherish these cars and are not going to thrash them around country lanes at break neck speed or park them overnight in some dodgy inner-city neighbourhood. But I guess the cost of repairs is what scares them.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!