Uk owners-changes to mot test2012

• Everything about MOTs is here to download for free:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/pub…stingmanualsandguides.htm

This below, however, this is the link to the definitive VOSA MOT Amendmendments for 2012 in presentation form:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/rep…20Presentation%20v3.1.pdf

on page 4 you will find:

HID / LED lights (Standard or After-Market)

Cleaning and Self levelling

on page 13 you will find:

Catalytic converter missing

though no mention of dates.

• The date for reference is 1st Aug 1992.

For all petrol engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1992, all gas engined vehicles and vehicles other than passenger cars first used before 1 August 1994 the test procedure consists of a metered check at the normal idle speed, the so-called`non-catalyst’ test.

I just confirmed with my MOT friend that this is correct. But strictly speaking if the Cat's are there on a pre Aug 92 then they should test they work..

Result!! At least for us early car owners....

• Zitat von schnitz850;95597

the test procedure consists of a metered check at the normal idle speed, the so-called`non-catalyst’ test.

I just confirmed with my MOT friend that this is correct. But strictly speaking if the Cat's are there on a pre Aug 92 then they should test they work..

Result!! At least for us early car owners....

I have had my MOT done by my local BMW dealer for the last couple of years as they have their own testing facility. Having just checked the print out I note that they have actually stated that it is a "Non-catalyst equipped vehicle (metered check). I doubt whether they even realised the cats were missing.

Cheers
    Graham

• :harhar:
    You wouldn´t want to de-cat an 8er here.

Apart from the fact that there is no legal loophole allowing for the removal of once installed catalysts in theory you´d face taxes for an 850 as so:

368 EUR (<300GBP) p.a. for Euro2 emissions and
    1368 EUR (>1k GBP) for a car without cat.

So actually you´d want to install a catalyst in any car just to make sure your tax load is reduced. 8ers up until late 1994 actually had emissions conforming to Euro1 only (costing almost double what is charged for Euro2) but with a tiny and affordable trick (e.g. additional mini-cats) you´d legally reach Euro2 emissions.

If opting for a de-cat one would not wish to get caught and have this detected - you´d expect it to be really, really bad for environmental reasons. It is not - will set you back a few cheap trees only. What is going to kill you is the court case for tax evasion :laugh:

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I booked an MOT for my 540i for 2nd April this year at a place in Bury, Lancs.
    I was told on arrival that new parameters were to be used from that day.
    I mentioned that if the driver's seat is moved the airbag light may illuminate (it's always done this). He said he would need to fail it if that happened. He also said that the seat had to be moved as it needed to be fully functional, and tested as such.
    Needless to say, he failed the car due to poor handbrake performance and a leaking petrol pipe union - which he damaged with a screwdriver!
    Won't go back there again!

• Zitat von Quackers;100474

I booked an MOT for my 540i for 2nd April this year at a place in Bury, Lancs.
    I was told on arrival that new parameters were to be used from that day.
    I mentioned that if the driver's seat is moved the airbag light may illuminate (it's always done this). He said he would need to fail it if that happened. He also said that the seat had to be moved as it needed to be fully functional, and tested as such.
    Needless to say, he failed the car due to poor handbrake performance and a leaking petrol pipe union - which he damaged with a screwdriver!
    Won't go back there again!

I read on another forum this morning that the newly introduced tests for SRS and ABS lights have been suspended - they will only be a fail if the system indicates a fault, check VOSA here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...otice 3-12.pdf

• Quite right. As the igniton timing is advanced on "tuned" cars, the noxious emissions goes up with it. I was told by an MOT inspector friend of mine that the car has to be listed on the computer for a comparison, he said you can get around it very easily with cars of around 1991 to 1996 age range.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!