FTP Protection

• Having just shelled out £200 for the third time in as many years, I really wanted to find some protection for the FTP lights. I contacted many companies that make headlight protection products but they are all made for specific vehicles and absolutely no one I called would make them to measure.

I came across www.lamin-x.co.uk and ordered a 300mm x 200mm sheet of 1.00mm thick clear light protection film which I installed recently on the clear lens only as I have never had damage to the indicator lens. In practice, the 1mm is quite thick and I wasn't sure it would look OK when it first arrived, but it is not noticeable at all, even with close up inspection.

Only time will tell if it does the trick but for less than £20 it is worth a try.

Cheers
    Graham

• If I remember correctly, Bavarian Autosport, or BMP has (or had) as set here in the US for the e31.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• I'm using paint protection film for years on my light strips.
    It is illegal here in Germany to put any sort of film on the lamps but I don't care about that.
    I'm fed up of all those SUVs with high rear ramp angle and sport tires shooting stones on my FTPs.
    (They mostly drive on the left lane here and let you pass only if there is a bend on the Autobahn...)

Anyway, applying the film on the clear part is easy as it is flat and has no elevated writings on it.
    The turn indicator is more tricky because of it's shape and the writings and logos.
    I made a couple of tiny holes with a sharp needle to let the fluid escape around the letters but due to the thickness of the film it does not fit perfectly.
    It gives a very good protection against most of the stones and I would never mount a new FTP without it anymore. (I guess if a big rock bullet comes along that will still crack the glass tough.)

Cheers,
    Steve

• Zitat von steve;112745

I'm using paint protection film for years on my light strips.

I agree with you about the 'rock bullet'.

Have you had experience of the film yellowing with age?

I am told that a regular application of wax keeps the product in good shape as it protects against UV although I suppose it is inexpensive enough to just replace it if it becomes discoloured.

Cheers
    Graham

• I'm using a film from Foliatec. Both the film as well as the adhesive is UV resistant so I have not noticed any yellowing yet.
    I bought the 17x160 cm package for 25 Euros. That amount will last for many years even if I had to replace it every now and then.

I only have it installed on my summer 8 and unfortunately I have not driven it much in the last years (around 15 tkm).
    So I can't say how well it handels the day to day shootouts (if there will be visible marks after a while).
    Currently it still looks like new. I guess the film is flexible and therefore the marks won't appear as fast as on the "rigid" glass.

My other 8 has old FTPs with lot's of tiny hholes and therefore I could not install a film on it. (It just looked ugly).
    When one of those old one needs to be replaced then I will see how long the film will last in everyday use.

I'm not using any wax or other products on the film.

Cheers,
    Steve

• It is just pressed, The rubber hose is to hold it against the upper and lower part of the front without damaging the paint.

The rubber hose is split so that it is pushed to the protections.

• ooo...this is good! Now to source that Macrolon stuff here in the US (or a good equivalent).

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• Zitat von BruceM6850750;113149

Bavarian Auto sells really good protection custom cut for the FTPs. Clear and Al's a smoked color. Easy to apply and solid protection. Have them on all of the fleet.

Bruce: If you are referring to Bavarian Auto (www.bavauto.com) they do not list the E31 under their vehicle list and Lense Protector does not come up in their search. Have you get a specific link?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• I'm with Anguswolfendale...a bit of clarification would be appreciated. I see three related items on bavauto's website, I'm looking to get the smoked set but I'm confused by the options.

Part# H2108A S, Bavarian Autosport Smoked Urethane Headlight and Fog light Shields for $44.95

Part# H2108W, Bavarian Autosport Clear Urethane Headlight, Parking Light and Fog light Shields for $44.95

Part# H2108A, Bavarian Autosport Clear Urethane Headlight and Fog light Shields for $40.45

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!