Road Trip -- Romania & Back (cross post)

• So I was considering this years (northern hemisphere) summer road trip, and realised I'd not gotten around to posting my last couple of Euro-sojourns.
    The 2012 trip was inspired by some of the BBC's 'Top Gear' lunacy -- the run across the Transfagarasan highway in Romania. Had a quiet word to a colleague of mine, who just happened to be "on his way home, via Heathrow", and thought he'd take a few weeks off. Much respect to his wife, who released him from family duties to blast across Europe with a college mate. After a quick look at Google Maps, decided we'd make it in a day and a half -- so off we go with a satnav, 2 cell phones, and a "booking.com" account (no affiliation!).
    Well, we only made about 1,500 kms (950 miles) on the first day -- but thankfully, some of was on the German A3, so unrestricted. Whilst travelling in the second fastest lane, you do expect to get passed by some of the better known marques, but at one stage we were doing about 240km/hr, and a guy in an Audi A4 strolled straight passed us in the outside lane, chatting to his wife and kids. I'm sure its matter of practice, but you realise that at those speeds, you are covering a kilometre every 15 seconds, so your "event horizon" happens pretty quickly.

Pressed on to Sibiu the next day, and quickly realised that European Union road funding stop as soon as you exit Hungary. There is evidence of a motoway being built in Romania, but the local road surface quality certainly keep speed down. We did a day exploring in the Carpathians, and it is a truly beautiful part of the world. Onto the Highway, we had taken some local advice to go fairly early in the morning, and not on a weekend -- which would help save random holiday-makers and picknicker from us, and vice versa. The 'Top Gear' chaps drove this route in a 911, a Gallardo and a Merc (from memory) -- so we have bought a 2 tonne battle cruiser, to see if we can replicate the experience !

Couple of test runs, at about 80%, and then 2 flat out runs up the mountain -- traction control off, and conspicuous lack of Armco railings. Did this until the clutch smelt funny, then went for lunch !. Top fun indeed.

This is what the satnav says you' ve been doing -- and the reflection of the two grinning idiots involved.

Left Romania, heading for the Adriatic. Had a few issues due to the combination of a Romanian visitors permit, an EU registered car, and two guys with Australian passports -- so we pressed on through Serbia, but decided not to try our luck getting through Bosnia Herzegovina.
    Great drive down the coast to Split -- many thanks to fellow 8er Duje, for local advice and offers of assistance. Pity we didnt get a chance to meet.
    Like my other holidaty reports, they start off really well -- and full of details. This one is the same, but now we spend 2 weeks getting back to London, via such cultural activites as Ferrari museum ar Maranello, the opera in Verona, few days in Florence, then home via Monte Carlo, the Cotes du Rhone and Burgundy -- see map. Much more influenced by driving for a few hours in the late morning -- then doing long lunches, with as much local wine as we can.

For the technically minded, approx 6,000 km (4,000 mls)and this trip tested out
    stainless steel brake lines - brilliant
    front bushes on rear trailing arms -- more next post on this
    PIAA lights -- again, more in next post

More soon
    Cheers Keith

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!