Old Petrol/Flooded engine

• I'm going to get one, only €70 on Amazon.es. Been doing some research, like with everything, you have some people saying they don't work, but saw a couple of articles from Scania and Mercedes extolling the virtues of these. Thanks for the tip, hadn't even heard of these before today. Knew about sulphation, but assumed the Ctek handled that. Lots of articles out there about Ctek owners assuming the same as me, but finding that the regenerators work well. I'll update once tried...

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• AGMs are in deed not that sensitive to deep discharge but they have a small drawback. They require a slightly higher charging voltage than normal batteries.
    I have an AGM in my 5 series and it never gets fully charged except when I top it up manually with the CTEK.
    The alternator and the charging electronic doesn't know about the AGM and can't supply the higher voltage.
    It works in everyday use but needs occasionally a little help from the CTEK to maintain the "health" of the battery.

Ivan, the CTEK uses a "brute force" method in Recondition mode. It applies a higher voltage and literally boils the battery. This way it tries to dissolve the sulfate crystals.
    The high frequency pulses the MegaPulse incorporates are far more effective and less stressful for the battery.

There is another option which is used by some of us here in Germany. Instead of using two batteries (which is not a good idea without a separate charging electronic for each), some owners removed the left side battery and replaced by a larger (100 Ah) battery on the passenger side. It fits only if the securing plate is re positioned but it seems to work better regarding charging.

Cheers

• Hello Steve/Danilo,

Thanks for the advice. I do not have a root problem with the charging of the car though. The new batteries are dead because of my inattention! I thought that the car was flooded, so tried Timm's method of starting a flooded M60, which puts a bit of a strain on the batteries. I then went away on holiday so put the batteries on charge. Unfortunately, I had the ignition switched to position 2, so I assume the car was using more power than the Ctek was pumping into the batteries. Two weeks! The old batteries are in fairly decent condition considering the car has been garaged for nearly 3 years, but decided to get new batteries as they were 8+ years old. If the regenerator doesn't work on the new ones that I 'destroyed', I'll just have to get new batteries. Turns out the fuel pump had seized! At the moment, still awaiting some advice on my burnt-out fuel pump wire; I posted a query on Bimmerforums, but haven't had any response so far, will check again today. Didn't post it on here as I assumed who's looking here, will be looking there also???

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• Replacement Fuel Pump

Hello All,

So, I bought new batteries over the weekend. My new fuel pump, BOSCH 0 580 314 069, arrived Monday. Last night I thought I'd have the car up and running, but no! The strainer from the old Pierburg pump (19mm dia.) does not fit on the new Bosch pump inlet (12mm dia.)! Was tempted just to leave it off as the tank is very clean, and the original strainer has no debris stuck to it, but thought no. Might anyone know of a replacement strainer that would fit onto the new pump. I've had a look online for a strainer, and there are many of them out there, but none that I've seen actually give the diameter of the nozzle that fits onto the pump inlet? Also, a bit concerned that the smaller diameter inlet of the Bosch pump is going to impede the volume of petrol that will flow through it? Any ideas?

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/37078/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!