Bottom Bolt Torque - Rear Shocks

• I am getting a squeaky noise from the rear suspension. I've replaced the shock-absorber top mounts, fitted top reinforcement plates, replaced all bushes & bearings on the rear suspension, new bushes in the drag links (front and rear), so a bit frustrated. I am suspecting the torque setting on the bottom bolt securing the shock-absorber to the spring pan (wishbone). As the diagram below shows (I'm no CAD user), the relationship between the wishbone and the shock-absorber goes through different angles as the suspension moves. Therefore the shock-absorber must have to pivot around the bottom bolt. However, the shock-absorber bottom mounting is fitted with a solid tube, embedded in rubber (not a bearing). When fitting it into the wishbone arm the tube gets clamped between the two sides of the arm pan, especially if the securing bolt is tightened to the recommended torque. This prevents it from rotating. This seems counter-intuitive to me, surely this must create stress in the bottom shock-absorber mounting as the suspension moves up and down?
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/41284/

Any thoughts, views?

• A lot of joints are supposed to work exacly like this. No pivoting at all but just flexing rubber.
    It is also the case for the lower shock-absorber mount... just be sure to tighten the bolt in the 90° position, i.e. when the car is on ist own wheels.

By the way :mrgreen:
    I also had a painful rattling noise in that area... It turned out to be the shock absorber itself, making noise inside.

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• Fortunately it was nothing more than a loose exhaust silencer bracket! Phew!! Well I thought it was but it came back - finally tracked it down to the inner bolt of the spring pan (lower wishbone), the one with the eccentric bolt through it. A liberal dose of GT35 and it was cured.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!