Serpentine Belts

• Are there any recommendations for the best quality aftermarket ribbed belts?

There seem to be quite a few good branded makes in the price range of £10-£20. Typically, the dealer wants £40

Hope someone can chip in with some advice.

Cheers
    Graham

• I usually seem to end up using Continental

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks Terry, response much appreciated.

Funnily enough I was warming towards the Continental until someone told me yesterday that they have had experience of them squeeking; strange old world this!

On the basis that each owner would only likely change these belts once I have decided to stay with the OEM ones from the dealer.

Take care

• I have used Continental's in multiple 8's, and never had a problem. Any belt can squeal if not adjusted properly.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• It was recently brought to my attention that none of the aftermarket belts are a perfect fit for any of the vehicles they suit because they are all made with tolerances that permit usage across a range of vehicles. We are only talking millimetres but they are not vehicle specific.

I contacted a company called Gates who are apparently the largest manufacturer of belts in the world and are of high quality. I provided them with our OEM numbers and this was their reply.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/46281/

I guess this explains why the genuine BMW belts are so much more expensive because they are a perfect fit as opposed to be being a generic belt.

I thought this was very useful information.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!