• Did the standard US 1991 850i model come with the alarm receiver installed yet no remote sender unit? I'd like to add the factory remote lock/unlock feature. What's interesting is that the owner's manual shows a procedure for re-orienting a new infra-red key sending unit by aligning it with what appears to be the standard apparatus in the center console (the red light that blinks when alarm is armed) present in all 1991 850s. The dealer's here in SF are clueless and suggest aftermarket alarm systems are the only option. Has anyone been down this path before? Can I just buy the remote sender unit and orient as described in the manual?

[Sounds like a job for Mr. Fling's massive technical library. I too own a 1991 850i and by the time I read the part of the owner's manual describing the remote control device I had lost touch with the original owner of my car. So I don't know if he had the remote control and failed to give it to me or if he never had it in the first place. I also seem to recall some discussion (can't recall the source) about how some E31s have an infrared remote control system, while some have a remote control system utilizing radio (like most modern aftermarket systems). IIRC, the early E31s had the infrared remote control system and at some point the system was modified to radio control. On my car, there is what appears to be a infrared receiver on the interior mirror that "looks" out through the windshield. It sure would be handy to have the remote locking function enabled. If it's just a question of purchasing the remote and aligning it per the owner's manual it doesn't seem that hard to do. Can anybody provide a BMW part number for the remote control? PMB]

Gregory Kovecses

• When we bought our 850 we were wondering the same thing (since both of our 75s have this remote and the manual for the 850 shows it). We went out and bought the remote (which is the same as the 750). Guess what...it doesn't work. I posted a note on the BMW-digest list over a year ago trying to find out information on this. I got this reply:

"The E31 in the US never had the IR remote. Something about the windshield angles would cause it not to work well. They did have the optional Alpine keyless entry, but it is no longer available from BMW."

This is probably why they switched to the standard radio frequency remote that most cars have. Even the infrared ones on our 750s are finicky depending on where you are standing. Hope this helps; if you find anything to the contrary, please let me know.

[Hmm. Yet another E31 mystery. Might it be possible to purchase the remote from a European source? Or maybe it would be possible to use one of those "learning remotes" that you can buy for your home entertainment system? I don't have any idea how they work, but I do know they operate in the infrared band. Perhaps one of our technically-learned members could weigh in here. PMB]

John Rather

• "The E31 in the US never had the IR remote. Something about the windshield angles would cause it not to work well.

I have an infrared remote for my CSi. It works perfectly, including closing and opening all windows and sunroof. What is the difference between my windshield and the U.S. windshield? Probably what you see through it. :)

[Yeah, we see giant signs advertising gasoline for $1.50 USD per gallon! ;) Seriously though, if it works on Mr. Holm's car, why can't I get it to work on my car?]

There are three things to consider; firstly: - Does your car have an IR receiver at all? (it's supposed to be in the center console), secondly:
    - Each IR transmitter (built into the keygrip) is unique for each car. If you take another one, it is not supposed to work, for obvious reasons. Third point is that newer cars (-95+) have an advanced immobilizer system where the keygrip also contains the transponder for the security system. This is also an individually coded device.

[On my 1991 850i, I have a rectangular reddish plastic "window" on the center console. I presume this is used as per the owner's manual to initialize the remote control so that it only works on my particular car. I also have a circular reddish plastic "window" on the front side of the mirror, facing out with a "view" through the windshield. I assume this is the device that would receive the IR signal transmitted by the remote control.]

BTW, the European 7-series IR remote also controls the trunk lid.

Your dealer (or BMWNA) should be able to determine whether you could buy an IR remote control for your alarm and central locking system for your specific car. Price for an Ersatz-transmitter (keygrip type) is around USD 75 at BMW AG in Germany, including programming.

[By "Erstaz," I assume Mr. Holm means what we would call a "replacement" in American English.]

I remember a discussion on a list where the topic was that BMW had to drop the remote closing of windows etc on all American cars, since they were afraid of getting sued. It was allegedly so that the (IR?) remote worked from a longer distance than what could be allowed in the U.S. This explanation sounds plausible to me.

[I read the same thing. The problem was that you could roll up the windows from so far away that you might not notice somebody was in the way. BMW trusts me with a car that will go 150 miles an hour, but they're worried I'm going to hurt somebody with my power windows?!? Yet another example of the plaintiff's bar running the country. Perhaps this fear of liability is the reason it is apparently difficult to obtain the IR remote here in the USA. PMB]

Magnus Holm

• I have a 92 E31 which came with a radio controlled remote. The signal strength is weak and I have long since abandoned its use. Supposedly, the 91 had a stronger signal or was IR. Accordingly to the dealer I originally purchased from, it was modified because of an accident involving a child. I don't know if this was BS. One cool thing about the original remote however, was supposedly that it activated the circuit that closes all windows and the sunroof, just like holding the key in lock position for 10 seconds.

MMROTHKOPF

• I actually tried to buy the remote key. In fact the dealer listed the part number for it. When it came in, I could not get it to work. The initialized on the console seemed to work as described in the manual. Unfortunately, the infrared signal did not work. This is something I would love to see working on my 91. I wonder if the Euro parts could still be sourced?

Stephen Spears

• I can only offer limited information, but when I bought my E31, I thought it was ludicrous that the car did not have remote entry. Upon digging in the euro parts fiche, it appears that the infrared receivers are in the door handles-they (the handles) are specifically listed as different for the remote system. There is also some additional electronics involved. The handles alone are about $700 each as I recall, so I gave it up as not being cost effective. An aftermarket radio frequency unit would probably work, since the lock/unlock mode can be triggered by grounding one side or the other of the circuit through a resistor.

Phil Saitta

• When I purchased my '92 850I, I asked the original owner about the red light in the center next to the stick shift.

He mentioned that the manual walks through a procedure to program a remote control etc.

When he asked his salesman about the option to get this remote-open feature, he was told that they recommend an Alpine radio-type alarm system that protects the car as well. The owner decided to get a Clifford alarm ($1500!!) installed instead.

I would also be curious to know why BMW opted not to provide the remotes with the 850i when purchased new. It seems odd to have the LED light and the receiver, but to not recommend using this feature (which appears to be standard on just about every BMW these days.) I know that to pay $86,000 USD for the 850I in 1992, you should at very least have this option as a standard feature.

By the way: I really love my alarm system. It has more features than I'll ever use. The one I really enjoy is when you hit the button to lock the vehicle, it automatically closes any open window and the sunroof. There is another button that you can hold down to open all the windows and the sunroof while unlocking the vehicle. It's nice to park the car with any combination of windows/sunroof open and just hit the "arm" button and walk away.

My recommendation would be to investigate the alarm system options with radio-type transmitters/receivers. Be sure you get a roving-code type of alarm system as well.

Sean Drury

• I had no problem buying the switchblade remote from a dealer through the net. I can dig up the part numbers and the contact if you need them. The remote costs about 130 USD with a 25% discount included. I bought one and subsequently returned it when I couldn't get it to work. Go figure. Interesting thread.

JR Hope

• In the never ending search for the Holly Grail, i.e., remote locking for early E31s, I refer you to the posting by Derek on the BMW 8 Series Forum referring to a Eurospec control unit that allows him to use the two-button key you can buy from BMW to lock, unlock, and operate the windows and sunroof. Might this be what we have been looking for?

Gentlemen: Here is what Derek had to say: I got my new key today - it's 2 button and it didn't work so they replaced the alarm control unit. I was lucky, the new control unit is a Eurospec so the remote key now does everything the manual one does. Opens/closes windows and sunroof remotely. If you have to replace the control unit you might try to get PN 65-75-8-368-680 DWA AL. Cost up here in Canada was $411. For those of you who have recently joined us, you should know that BMW has purposely disabled the remote control functions on early E31s (the ones with the infrared remote controls) sold in the United States. So even though you might purchase the two-button remote control, and even though you might initialize it as directed in your owner's manual, it won't work. Evidence is anecdotal, but it appears that the remote control as designed had a beyond visual range. In other words, it was possible to send commands to the car from a distance great enough that you would be unable to see the car. Evidently, the wimpy-ass lawyers at BMW became worried that somebody might use the remote control to close an open window when it was obstructed by a person. So they did something to the car's electronics such that it either won't receive (or won't act upon) signals from the remote control. Derek's experience certainly seems to suggest that the difference between an E31 with remote control capability and one without lies in the alarm control unit. But I caution that it's at least possible that the difference lies elsewhere in the E31's incredibly complicated electrical system and Derek just had a bad alarm control unit in his car. Moreover, even if we assume for argument's sake that the alarm control unit *does* control the remote control capability, we have the problem of acquiring a Eurospec part here in North America. As somebody who worships at the altar of stock, I have no idea how difficult that would be. Finally, I have no idea how expensive it would be to install the alarm control unit. All in all, this tidbit is certainly intriguing. I think it cries out for one of our intrepid DYI types to go where no E31 owner has gone before and to swap out his alarm control unit for a Eurospec unit and report back whether it enables the remote control functions. PMB

Bert Smith

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!