635 vs 850 maintenance costs

• Question :
    What are the typical maintenance and repair costs on an 850. Would you expect a '91 850 or 88 635 to cost more in repairs.
    I've heard that 91 850's are difficult to maintain...is this true?
    Apu

Answers :
    I suppose the answer is in what condition is the car you are thinking of buying / bought ?
    Allways get an inspection done on any prospective purchase.

There is no doubt that is more expensice to repair /maint this type of vehicle that a 6 series but it is also dependant on how many miles you will be doing , the conditions in which the care will be driven and how the car is driven.

I have owned my 850i 92 for just over a yesr and the parts have been failry cheep but I have had no major problems mainly due to the great build quality.
    John Sheppard

I can't imagine the 8 maintenance costs could be ever be cheaper than my 635. My 6 has 182K and has only needed an alternator, starter, muffler, cat, and a radiator over the past 7 years. On the 8 I've already taken care of a new clutch, upper & lower oil pan gasket replacement, and intake manifold gaskets which equate to about the total value of the 635
    Andy

Before I had the '91 850i, I had an '83 633csi. I would say that between an 850 and a 635 of similar condition, the 850 would be about twice the cost to maintain. The 850 is closer to an M6 in maintenance costs. One thing to consider is that the engine has twice as many of everything, but that's not the main cost. For example, the cost of replacing intake manifold gaskets is staggering as compared to the 6er. The waterpump, radiator, and thermostat cost twice as much as in the 6er even if you do the work yourself. There are two iginition coils instead of one. Two catylitic converters. Two oxygen sensors. Around 7.5 quarts of oil for the change. Pentosin vs Dexron for the steering. Brake pads cost more. It's not for people on a budget, but it can be done relatively economically if you can do much of the work yourself, and if you can wait the extra time for discount mail order parts. One thing the 8er and 6er do have in common is that trim and accessory parts are often difficult to locate.
    Phil M

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!