Stereo Speakers Upgrade

• Diagnostics

I bought my 1993 BMW 850 Ci back in March 2000 and one of the things that I immediately noticed was the extremely low quality of the sound reproduced by the stock sound system. From what I have read, these cars were delivered with either a fairly standard 10 speaker system or with a HIFI 14 speaker system(2 speakers reserved for the phone). As my car came with the 10 speaker system, this text only describes one of many examples of how that system can be upgraded.

I am a person who enjoys music a lot and as I am a Latino to start with, samba and other very rhythmical flavors of music is what I enjoy pumping in my car. I am not a volume freak, but I do care a lot about the different details of the music being reproduced as accurately as possible. The problem I had with the original sound of the car was simply that the overall sound picture contained too much bass. Even when I brought the bass to its lowest levels, the high frequencies were simply muffled inside a humming and abstract low frequency sound soup which made me wonder if my ears were clean or not.

My second problem was that the bass also tended to get distorted at fairly low volume. Instead of having well defined bass thumps in my music, the kick panel speakers could simply not reproduce the bass power that was being sent to them. Instead the bass power disappeared and was replaced by a vibrating, muffled bass sound which tended to drown the details of the music even further. I hated it!

The third problem was the very bad quality of the tweeters in the door panels. When listening to music that did not contain too much bass, I would notice very rapidly that the high frequencies were extremely squeaky and intermixed. The result was more or less what you get when you speak with somebody over the phone and that person almost shouts at you. Instinctively, you pull the phone from your ear and close your eyes as the sound simply cuts within you.

Doing something about it

Imagine my frustration. I had the most wonderful car I could ever wish for, but inside it resided the worst sound system that I had ever allowed to violate my ears! I took the car to a very well known auto audio shop and had one of their guys listen to what I thought I heard and he agreed very much with what I was telling him. My original thought was to have the whole sound system replaced, but he told me very honestly that such a problem should be addressed step by step starting with the speakers. His idea was simply to change a pair of speakers at a time, to make sure that the solution we were bringing forward was moving towards the wishes I had for the final result. It would result in some extra labor costs, but it would at the end make me have a system that I really wanted to have. His proposal was to start with the kick panel speakers, followed by the door speakers, followed by the rear speakers. Three different areas to work with took us three days to have it all done as I was working very hard at that time and just couldn't get off work a whole day to spend it with this guy and the car. But the good thing was that every night when something was replaced, I had the chance to take the car out and listen for improvements and simply return the car back next morning with my comments.

Replacing the kick panel speakers

During the first day we concentrated on replacing the kick panel speakers. The stock speakers are 4" speakers held into place by a black plastic frame screwed into place by three metal screws. Section 65 12 000 in the repair manual describes how the kick panels are removed to access the kick panel speakers. This description is confusing and not well depicted and described. What you FIRST have to do is to remove the plastic panel above the pedals. This panel is held into place by four, black plastic screws (two in the front and two in the back just between the pedals). You need to remove this panel to be able to get out the kick panel easier, but finally to be able to unscrew the third screw that holds the speaker frame in place. The kick panels are held into place by two smaller, black plastic screws (you need good illumination!) and on the driver's side by an additional metal screw holding the hood release lever in place.

Once you have removed these two panels, you will see the rather small speaker held into position by a black plastic frame. We saw directly that the frame was going to be able to hold a larger speaker in place and we decided to upgrade the stock 4" garbage speakers to something better. Knowing that one of the major problems in the car was that I felt I had too much "dirty" bass, we decided to install a 5.25" Infinity Referens 552i speaker, which is a coaxial speaker that contains a centered tweeter that can be directed in a range of 350 degrees. The cost for a pair of these speakers including frequency division filter is about $100.

Step one is to make a copy of the plastic frame and copy its shape and the holes for the three metal screws. Step two is to make a hole in the frame to fit the larger speaker. Step three is to install the new speaker and make sure to direct the tweeter upwards towards the driver/passenger, as the high frequencies are very direction dependent.

Comment on the result

When driving the car that night with this simple upgrade, the change was enormous! The previous bass which was distorted at low volume, was now well defined and clear all the way almost to top volume! A big part of the "dirty" bass was gone, and the tweeter added a much better clarity for high frequencies that were now clearly audible from the front of the car and not only from the door tweeters. Purists will probably argue that it is useless to add tweeters so low and far away from the ear, but in my case this actually did help!

Replacing the door tweeters

My problem with the door tweeters was simply that the sound was way too squeaky. Also, a clear problem is that these tweeters are placed very low and aimed at your stomach, unless you are VERY short and have your head where I have my stomach. My 1998 BMW 535i has a much more modern sound system and both on the driver and passenger sides you have two tweeters directed directly towards the listeners. One is on the door just under the window and the other at the base of the A-pillar where the side mirrors are located.

To be able to access the door tweeters you need to remove the door trim panels. The description for how to do this is in section 51 41 000 in the repair manual. I was not present when the changes were made to the tweeters, but I learned they had no problems removing the panels and putting them back on. The original tweeters were here replaced with 1" Visaton CT 25 tweeters. A pair of these will cost you about $85.

The new tweeters were installed so that they were tilted slightly upwards, so that they were directed towards my head from behind the protective grill in the trim panel. This by itself made a tremendous difference, which amplified the stereophonic effect in the car several times over.

Comment on the result

Driving the car that night produced a grin that I had problems getting rid of. The squeaky nature of the stock tweeters was gone. The direction was perfectly calibrated and in combination with the front tweeters from the kick panels the result was a pure joy. The only problem I now had was that the perfection that was now taking place in the front of the car was more than ever clearly divided from the still "dirty" bass coming from the rear speakers. This was the subject for the third and final day.

Replacing rear speakers

The plastic grills cover a small cluster of three different speakers. One of the speakers is a 4" speaker, the second is a 3" speaker and the third is a 1" tweeter that (believe it or not) is correctly aimed forward towards the driver/passenger. The only remaining problem we had in the whole sound picture was that I felt the bass coming from the back of the car was still rather distorted or muffled. The proposal from the audio guy was to just replace the 4" speakers and leave the rest alone. The 4" speakers were therefore replaced by 4" Pioneer TS-G1045, which cost me about $50 a couple.

Section 65 12 020 describes too shortly how to access the speakers in the back and the actual pain getting into the back of the car to access them. [As every E31 owner knows, the rear seat was never meant for human habitation -- far less providing adequate room for a burly stereo installer. PMB] You need to move the front seats all the way forward and tilt them forward. Be VERY careful with the plastic protective grills when removing them from the hat rack (rear shelf). Use a putty knife to first release the tabs from the front, short side. Then gently move the whole grill outwards (from the center of the hat rack) to avoid breaking the side plastic tabs. This is a pain and you have VERY little maneuvering space, so take your time and be patient.

Comment on the result

The audio guy seemed to know what he was talking about and once we examined the 4" speakers they were cracked. Replacing them caused the whole sound system to come into a perfect balance and I really tell you it was worth every effort we put down into making these changes.

Final word

The Swedes have a nice saying that says "Taste is like an ass...divided!". This is so very true! What one person can come to love, the next can hate.

I want to you remind you all that I in no way claim to be an expert on audio brands or sound system. I have with this text only described upgrades I made to my car to achieve a sound picture that I was looking for. Don't select my speakers just because I did so and don't make my changes just because I did them. You need to analyze your problem in several steps and here at the end I am simply trying to give some good advice to how you can reach YOUR goal on improving YOUR system.

1. Make sure to first try to identify exactly what it is you don't like about how your car audio system sounds. Put in several types of music into your CD-changer and listen to your music in different volumes and write down the defects you think you notice. Use a wide variety of music to understand better the range of the problem you want to remove.

2. If you know what is "wrong" with you system it is also because you probably know what you want. Visit several auto audio shops, but make sure to only visit reputable ones with those small isolated rooms where they allow you to bring your own CDs and select different speakers from a matrix on the wall. Don't get fixed up with a brand to start with. Identify the set of speakers you think reproduce your music in the way you want and THEN look at the brand to make sure those are speakers that at least will last. Taste here is VERY individual, so my selection is what I liked best. Your selection might be something totally different.

3. Try to get the shop to make the replacements for you, unless you find some joy in doing it yourself. These guys know what they are doing and you will avoid messing up things.

4. Try to make the upgrade in different steps if possible. This costs you more in labor, but it will guarantee you a better final result. If you have the time, make a deeper analysis of the sound for each pair of speakers your have replaced. Write down the improvements, write down your new ideas and take your time.

Final cost

The speakers I bought ended up costing me $235, which for me is an acceptable number. For labor I had to add an additional $250, but this price was lowered as the guy that helped me out claimed that it had been a pure joy for him to be allowed to have such a nice car in his shop for three days. If the shop is a good one, and the guy who does the work is committed, he will take your comments as a challenge and the working process will be enjoyable.

Good luck!

Fedde Engler

• I recently upgraded my factory speakers by default on my '91 850i.

My power amp went out on me recently, so I had the power amp replaced. The aftermarket stereo tech who was working on my car informed me that one of my rear deck speakers was also going out on me - that it was sending fluctuating "ohms" to the power amp. So, I thought this would be a good time for me for replace my existing factory speakers since I thought they were crappy.

Front speakers - I only replaced the speakers in the kickpanel as the tweeters/mid by the door seemed good to me after listening to the other aftermarket tweeters. The original factory speaker in the kickpanel is a 5.25" component mid/bass (40 watts). I researched and went to various aftermarket auto stereo shops and listened to a multitude of various brands and models, components and co-axials including Infinity, MB Quart, Alpine, JBL Audio, JL, Boston Acoustics,Polk, Pioneer and Sony. After various visits to the shops, I narrowed it down to two brands: MB Quart and Infinity. MB Quart was excellent with its highs but its bass was less than impressive. So, in the end, I went with Infinity Kappa Series (their top-line series) since the bass was excellent and the highs/mids were very good to excellent. I got their 52.1i model which is a co-axial (you can rotate the tweeters to point in the listener's directions). I also tried their component but the sound produced by the 52.1i seemed better and more suitable to my taste. I also tried the very similar 52.3i model but the 52.1i seemed to producer a more fuller sound. I'm a do-it-yourselfer type of a guy so I installed the speakers myself. I didn't expect the co-axial to pick up any highs since I was told by the aftermarket technicians as well as the BMW dealers that the 850 is speaker wired for components with cross-overs/bypass (or whatever the correct term is for separating bass, mids and highs :). I was surprised because it turned out that the co-axial was producing highs as well! So, that additional highs from the 52.1i tweeter added just the right amount of highs to the already existing tweeters by the door panel.

For the rear deck, there are 3 separate component speakers on each side: 5" bass, 3.5" mid and a tweeter. Again, I used the Infinity 52.1i to compliment the front speakers. For the 3.5" mid component, there were only 2 manufacturers that I can find that made that size: Kicker Resolution Series and Polk. There were no aftermarket shops in town that had demos for 3.5" components, however, they had 3.5" co-axials which all sounded horrible. I opted for the Kicker Resolution R3C series. I did some minor drilling on the Infinity speakers itself to align with the existing factory holes in the factory speaker box. No need to drill on the Kicker - it's a direct mount. I didn't change the tweeters because personally, I think they were good if not better than the aftermarket tweeters that I've listened to. By the way, the factory tweeters (40 watts) were angled & aimed towards the listeners!

End result: an excellent and amazing sound system! The bass/mids have been much improved and I can hear all the nuances of the highs that I've didn't hear before!

By the way, I have an aftermarket stereo system in there: Blaupunkt Sydney Series with a thummer remote control which is banded around the steering wheel. It's a DIN size so it fits perfectly. In fact, everybody including aftermarket shops think it's original factory equipment. Even the push button controls match the interior. I also installed a matching Blaunpunkt 10-CD changer mounted in the trunk.

To compliment my new sound system, I always wanted to reduce the ambient road noise produced by tire travel on asphalt/concrete, especially older/very old road surfaces. I bought my car used with many previous owners so I don't know if other 850's have undercoating on the "plastic" portions of the wheel well as mine didn't. I purchased and sprayed multiple coatins of a fast curing rubberized undercoating product. (drying time 1 hour)on all four wheels. The result is a much quieter interior cabin that I can even hear whisper conversations inside while driving over older asphalt/concrete.

I'm enjoying my 850 even more now with the above upgrades. My 850 drives and sounds like a dream!

P.S. If anyone needs me to e-mail them steps/procedures on front kickpanel and rear-deck speakers for those do-it-yourselvers, just let me know.
    Also, fyi I bought my Infinity 52.1i for $82/pair from an on-line merchant and for the Kicker Resolution R3C, I bought it for $47/pair from also an on-line merchant. Great improvement for mininal investment, don't you think? You would need suitable power amps to power these babies. Also, I have a 10" subwoofer in the trunk but I can't make much comments/recommendations on brand names because the aftermarkets in town have very limited subwoofer demos to listen to but I ended up getting MTX Audio Thunder6000 which seems fine and I don't know an other brands such as Infinity (no demos available) were better.

Phil

• I'm a stereo nut. Been building car stereos for about 14 years now. My 92 must have had a system in it before because there were MB Quart speakers laying loose in the stock locations.
    *I replaced the rears with 5 1/4" Boston Acoustics co-axles and replaced the capacitor with one of the same value made out of metalized polypropolene. (old trick that makes $5 tweeters sound as good as $180 dollar ones). I mounted these on pieces of 1/4" hardboard cut bigger than the opening and screwed them in from the bottom, then sealed the irregular shape with Butyl Tape. End result, the back sounder better than the front of all but a few competition cars I have ever heard, and keep in mind I'm a tube amp, vinyl guy who has to build my own speakers because I can't afford a decent set (20,000-90,000 dollars)).
    For the front I remover the ported chamber in the kick pannels and made 1/4" hardboard pannels that fit the area and backmounted 6.5" Boston mid-woofers to the back. Once you remove the chamber you have a nice sized steel enclosure to work with, an installers dream. I then used a Makits sawzall to open up the rest of the slots impressed on the kick pannel to accomodate the bigger speaker. My favorite car tweeters are 1"polly Neo 2T (I think) that are no longer in production). You can buy them through the parts dept of Boston. I ran the mid full range and put 4.5 ohms of resistance using ceramic Axiom resistors in line on the pos wire, and then, between that and the tweeter I placed a 6.4 mfd metalized polypropolene capacitor. After many hours of listening tests I determined the best placement for the tweeter was on the dash pointing straight up just inside the A pillars. This reflects off the glass and gives a nice high soundstage as well as reflecting towards the other side of the car a bit so each passanger can hear both sides. I believe this combo sounded as good or better than any competition winning IASCA vehicle I have heard and for about $400. dollars total, not $3,000 or so. I was using McIntosh amps though, and had made a bandpass woofer box for a $30 10" Rockfor Fosgate woofer I found which I fired through the ski pass-through up into the grill above the rear storrage bin. The '91 I just bought is all stock and low miles, so I am going to try to leave it stock.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!