EDC Shock Replacement

• As I am sure most of you recall, my 1991 850iA was fitted with Electronic Damping Control (EDC) shocks at the factory. And as I'm sure you recall, after about 80,000 miles the EDC shocks were getting quite soft and it was time to replace them. Your Faithful Moderator worships at the altar of stock, so my first choice was to replace the worn EDC shocks with new BMW parts. The problem with that idea was that new front struts equipped with EDC shocks were a whopping $1,040 each and new EDC shocks for the rear listed for an equally expensive $820 each. Even by E31 standards, that's outrageously expensive.

As I have more fully described in previous posts, my mechanic talked me into relaxing my rule against aftermarket parts so that we could investigate using Bilstein Sport shocks. As many of you know, it is possible to rebuild the front struts using Bilsteins, and the rear shocks bolt in easily as well. But the Bilstein Sports are about one inch shorter than the BMW shocks they replace. But I was not interested in lowering the car or installing aftermarket springs. So it was back to the BMW parts bin.

In a perfect world, BMW would sell separately a non-EDC shock that you could use to rebuild the front struts on a car that was originally equipped with EDC. It would be the same shock (also known as an "insert") that is installed into the front struts on E31s that were not fitted with EDC. But BMW refuses to sell that shock separately. So instead of purchasing a front shock/insert for, roughly, $150 you have to pay a $486 for the entire strut assembly. Granted, the $672 difference for the pair isn't going to bankrupt anybody. But it's annoying to be forced to spend money unnecessarily. I can't imagine that there is anything too exotic about the front shocks/inserts on an E31. So I would think that if we could figure out the dimensions and specifications, it would be a simple matter to obtain a replacement from Boge/Sachs. As the E31 fleet ages and BMW parts become more scarce, I predict this approach will become standard for those owners who don't want to install the shorter Bilstein Sports.

As Mr. Castle noted in an earlier post, the BMW parts CD shows three different replacement struts are available for an 850i with a June of 1991 build date. (Note dual part numbers for left and right struts.)

Sporty / Tropical 31 31 1138 551/552

Comfort 31 31 1138 553/554

M Sports 31 31 1139 653/654

I don't know for sure how these three struts differ. Based *solely* on an examination of the parts numbers, I theorize that both the "sporty/tropical" and the "comfort" struts result in the same ride height, as indicated by the "1138" portion of the number. I further theorize that the shocks are valved differently, with the "sporty/tropical" valving being somewhat stiffer than the "comfort" valving. (Duh!) Finally, I theorize that the "M sports" struts are fitted with a physically shorter and stiffer shock (similar to the effect obtained by installing Bilstein Sports) and thus a lower ride height is obtained. The "M sports" struts probably require use of shorter and stiffer springs as well. But note well: This is pure conjecture on my part. If anybody has any hard technical data on how these three struts differ, please send it along.

I drive the bombed-out streets of Washington, D.C. on a daily basis so I opted for the "Comfort" struts. As noted above, they were $486 each. Yes, I know that's list price. And yes, I know that I can purchase BMW prices for less than list. But I want my mechanic to make a living. So I cheerfully pay list price for parts, knowing he pays less than list and it's part of his profit margin. I'm sure he could juggle the figures such that I received a "discount" on parts, offset by a corresponding increase in his labor costs, resulting in the same total charge. My point is that my car is fastidiously maintained by a excellent independent shop where I deal exclusively with the owner - a mechanic who patiently tackles weird E31 projects like this one. So I pay what he charges.

The following additional parts were also necessary to complete the job:

Rear shock 33 52 1137 479 Two at 132.00

Wheel hub, front 31 32 1468 926 Two at 121.60

Absorber 31 33 1124 449 Two at 14.90

Absorber 33 53 1134 043 Two at 26.25

Guide support 33 52 1091 605 Two at 23.00

Washer 33 52 1134 028 Two at 0.77

Tube 33 52 1134 044 Two at 3.25

D nut 31 21 1128 336 Two at 6.20

Cap 31 21 1130 124 Two at 3.25

Dust collar 31 21 1136 466 Two at 1.79

According to my mechanic, the BMW parts gurus absolutely insisted that new ABS sensors were necessary. But when he tried to install the new sensors, the connectors were wrong. So he retained the original ABS sensors.

Installation of these parts is straightforward. The EDC circuitry was disabled by removing the relay in the trunk. The only unforeseen thing encountered during the job were tiny cracks in the front backing plates. In the case of my car, the cracks were so minor that we elected to weld them. If you do this job, be sure to inspect this part.

My mechanic charged $336 in labor to replace the front struts, replace the wheel bearings and to replace the absorbers. He also charged $280 in labor to replace the rear shocks, to replace the upper shocks mounts and to replace the dust cover and absorber unit.

The invoice does not reflect how many hours this took, nor does it reflect how much my mechanic charges for an hour of labor. But given all the research that went into this project over the past few months, given the fact that my mechanic had never replaced the shocks on an E31 (far less substituted regular shocks for EDC shocks) and given the care with which the job was accomplished, I think that $616 in labor was more than fair.

Finally, there was a $115 sublet charge for a full alignment. Adding $18 for "shop supplies" plus tax the grand total was $2,461.54. To be sure, this was not an inexpensive repair. But I have the satisfaction of knowing it was done carefully and with all BMW parts. Moreover, the original shocks lasted nine years so I'm confident these shocks will be similarly durable.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS: When I opted for the "comfort" struts with matching shocks, I was concerned that the ride would be too soft. I need not have worried. The ride is firm without being harsh. More importantly, my suspension has all of the original travel remaining. (And I'm still running the original 50 series tires.) So when I do hit a pothole the suspension soaks up the insult with ease and there is absolutely no steering feedback. Speaking of steering, it feels somewhat quicker and more precise at slower speeds. (Also due, in part, to a recent flush of the hydraulic system and the installation of new CHF and a new filter.) As you all know, the E31 will never be confused with the file://M3 when it comes of darting around town. But my car feels far more nimble than it did when the shocks were soft and the hydraulic system was dirty and somewhat clogged. There is still a slight deadband when the wheel is centered, but it's not objectionable.

Out on the freeway at speed, the new shocks make a BIG difference. My car no longer floats over expansion joints and there is zero body roll when I take those decreasing radius off ramps at double the posted speed. And the suspension easily handles washboard pavement. In fact, when it comes to lateral acceleration I run out of guts long before my car runs out of grip. At speeds greater than, say, 75 mph the steering lightens up noticeably and my car has the superbly composed feel that it did when I bought it. Even lane changes that are initiated with purposely ham-fisted steering are utterly lacking in drama. The ABS works fine and there are no faults on the MID caused by the absence of EDC.

All in all, I'm happy with the results. As always, you may prefer a different suspension feel. But if you want to maintain an all-BMW setup that's comfortably firm without being harsh I can highly recommend the "comfort" struts with the matching shocks.

PMB

• ARCHIVE OF PREVIOUS POSTS FOLLOWS:

[COLOR="Red"]Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:11:06 -0400 From: "Brown, Paul"
    Subject: E31: Moderator needs help with front strut replacement[/COLOR]

The EDC shocks on my 1991 850i have finally worn out. And with 80,000 miles on the car that's not surprising. As many of you know, I worship at the altar of stock. And I drive the bombed-out streets of Washington, D.C. on a daily basis. So I'm not interested in aftermarket suspension setups that lower the car. (H&R, Eibach, Dinan, etc.) I am, however, interested in replacing the ridiculously expensive EDC shocks with conventional shocks. So I instructed the folks at Alexandria Bavarian Service (the best!) to install non-EDC shocks all around.

Of course, the front struts are NOT rebuildable. So it is NOT possible to replace the current EDC shock (also known as an "insert") with a non-EDC replacement shock in the original strut casing. So my shop went looking for a new strut casing. Turns out there are four different kinds of strut casings available with four different part numbers. (Actually, there are 8 different kinds, if you count Left & Right.)

1. Build date THROUGH 9/91 WITH EDC. 2. Build date THROUGH 9/91 WITHOUT EDC. 3. Build date AFTER 9/91 WITH EDC. 4. Build date AFTER 9/91 WITHOUT EDC.

My 1991 850i has a 6/91 build date, so if I'm going to abandon EDC I obviously want strut casing #2 (Left & Right). Unfortunately, I learned today, these parts cannot be found anywhere in the BMW part system. Not even in Germany. Apparently, they're back-ordered from the supplier and nobody can say when they'll be available.

QUESTION - 1: What are the BMW part numbers for the non-EDC strut casings (left and right) for a 850i with a 6/91 build date?

QUESTION - 2: Can anybody suggest a source for this apparently hard-to-find part?

QUESTION - 3: Would it be possible to install as a substitute the non-EDC strut casing intended for an E31 built AFTER 9/91 (#4, above)? Put another way, how does the "new" non-EDC strut casing differ from the "old" non-EDC strut casing?

I realize that my inquiry is not a simple one. But Your Faithful Moderator would be VERY appreciative for any and all assistance. PMB

• [COLOR="Red"]Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:44:20 -0400[/COLOR] From: smcastle@att.net

According to my information, the part numbers for your EDC struts are:

31 31 1 138 495 31 31 1 138 496

Obviously, these are the frighteningly expensive parts I'm trying to avoid purchasing. PMB

You have three non-EDC choices available for a 6/91 build date 850i:

"Sporty / Tropical" 31 31 1 138 551 & 31 31 1 138 552
    "M Sports" 31 31 1 139 653 & 31 31 1 139 654
    "Comfort" 31 31 1 138 553 & 31 31 1 138 554

There are also different part nos. for front struts for cars with AHK, but we didn't get that here in the States.

Surely a pair of the above are available. If you don't have any luck, I can always check with my parts source for you. Hope this helps.

From the description, I assume that those struts feature different levels of firmness, depending on the properties of the shock and the spring. So I assume those struts come already "built up" and ready to install.

In the interest of being brief, I didn't reveal in my first e-mail that we're installing Bilstein shocks in the rear, leaving the stock springs untouched. (Yeah, I know I huff and puff about staying stock. But given that BMW shocks are built by either Bilstein or Boge, I figure it's close enough to satisfy even me.)

QUESTION: Of those three struts, which would match best with what we're installing in the rear?

QUESTION: Do your references show the part numbers for an *empty* strut into which we could install a Bilstein shock?

• [COLOR="Red"]Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:25:49 -0400[/COLOR] From: smcastle@att.net

From the description, I assume that those struts feature different levels of firmness, depending on the properties of the shock and the spring. So I assume those struts come already "built up" and ready to install.

Yes, they supposedly are complete assemblies.

In the interest of being brief, I didn't reveal in my first e-mail that we're installing Bilstein shocks in the rear, leaving the stock springs untouched. (Yeah, I know I huff and puff about staying stock. But given that BMW shocks are built by either Bilstein or Boge, I figure it's close enough to satisfy even me.)

Now this gets interesting. To my knowledge, the only "correct" Bilstein shocks for the E31, front or rear, are both considered "Motorsport" parts. The following is copied from their website:

Note: Multiple results indicate different settings, different shocks for right and left, or both. 1 Match Make: BMW Model: 840/850 Year: 92-96 Setting: Sport Front: MSP-05491 Rear: MSP-05490 Footnote2: Protective boot & bumpstop (when applicable) from original shock must be re-installed. Failure to install proper parts will result in damage to shocks and to vehicle. Except self leveling system.

Don't let your mechanic put any other shocks on the car - they won't be the correct part. Fit - maybe; correct - no!

[As I understand my mechanic, he does not plan to install the "Motorsport" version of Bilstein shocks in my 1991 850i. That's because the "Motorsport" (sometimes known simple as "Sport") shocks are designed to work with shorter and stiffer springs -- which I don't want to use because I don't want to lower the car. Rather, my mechanic plans to install a type of Bilstein shock that is physically longer and that has a softer valving setup so that the shock will match the OEM springs. I think (but I'm not certain) he called it a "Bilstein Heavy Duty" or "Bilstein Super Duty" shock. Is he off on a wacky tangent here? PMB]

QUESTION: Of those three struts, which would match best with what we're installing in the rear?

If in fact you are installing the Bilstein "motorsport" shocks in the rear, then I'd go with either of the "sporty" ones.

[I don't think that I am. See my previous comment. PMB]

What I don't know and can't help you with is what the factory does with the spring rates when EDC shocks are installed. My WAG is that since the EDC shocks provide in effect a hydraulic boost or lift to the car, that the springs may be softer than with non EDC shocks since stiffer springs wouldn't be needed. I don't have time now, but it might be interesting to compare spring part nos. The problem with that, though, is that BMW in Germany uses tables which factor in the weight of the options installed on the car.

[Hmm. Another complication. I'll bring that to the attention of my mechanic. PMB]

I know this might sound ludicrous to you, but have you given any thought to a Dinan Stage 1 suspension (springs and shocks) for your car? The Stage I ride is actually quite acceptable for daily use. You might consider calling them and seeing what they say. At least you'd be getting an integrated set-up (at more cost, unfortunately) instead of a cobbled-together set-up. A thought, anyway.

[I have been seriously considering this. But it REALLY irritates me that it is SO difficult to assemble a non-EDC replacement suspension using components from BMW's E31 parts bin. I know it has to be possible. But my mechanic, who is a former factory tech and who maintains superb contacts in the BMWNA community, is tied up in knots over this. PMB]

QUESTION: Do your references show the part numbers for an *empty* strut into which we could install a Bilstein shock?

I don't see any empty struts. Bummer. Steve

• [COLOR="Red"]Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:32:03 -0400[/COLOR]

First let me say how much I appreciate everybody's assistance with my "Get Rid of the Damn EDC" project. I realize that I exercised my Moderator's prerogative to hijack the list for a couple of days, and I'm thankful for your forebearance. Rather than reproduce all of the responses you sent along (and my follow-ups) I thought I'd provide an update on where we stand currently.

As everyone knows, I worship at the altar of stock and I drive the bombed-out streets of Washington, D.C. So when the EDC shocks on my 1991 850i finally got soft at 80,000 miles my first choice was to replace the EDC BMW shocks with non-EDC BMW shocks. In addition to using stock parts, my goal was to retain the original ride height with it's relatively forgiving suspension feel. In the rear, replacing the shocks is pretty straightforward because the they are separate from the springs. But in the front it's more complicated because the shocks are part of the McPherson struts. So at the outset, I identified four options:

(1) Install new BMW struts that use non-EDC BMW shocks. (2) Rebuild original struts using BMW replacement shocks. (3) Rebuild original struts using Bilstein replacement shocks. (4) Obtain an "empty" BMW strut and rebuild it using Bilstein shocks.

Obviously, option 1 appealed to me from the start. But the complete struts list for $486 each and two new wheel hubs are required to bring my 1991 850i up to the 1992 forward configuration. (I can't recall exactly what they list for, but $122 each sticks in my mind.) Another problem was that the complete front struts were nowhere to be found in the BMWNA supply system.

My mechanic convinced me to at least consider a less expensive solution. (Believe it or not. What a great guy.) So I agreed to let him make some calls. In short order, we learned that option 2 was not feasible because BMW doesn't sell the front shocks as a separate part, and we learned that option 4 wouldn't work because BMW doesn't sell empty front struts for the E31.

That left option 3, rebuilding the original strut using Bilstein replacement shocks. My mechanic argued that this would create in a strut every bit as good as the non-EDC replacement struts from BMW, but using parts that we already have (or which are easily obtained) at a savings of about $280 per strut. I respect my mechanic's judgment, so I authorized him to investigate that option.

The first challenge with option 3 is rebuilding a strut that not really designed to be rebuilt. There is anecdotal evidence that a few people have managed to do this, and my mechanic thinks it *might* be possible. So I ask the group: Has anybody rebuilt the OEM front struts (whether EDC or not) replacing the OEM shocks with Bilstein shocks?

The second challenge with option 3 is getting the correct Bilstein shocks. Surfing over to: <http://www.eshocks> and examining the Bilstein application chart, I see that there is nothing listed for my 1991 850i. For the "92-96 840/850," however, the chart says that the MSP-05491 will work in the front and the MSP-05490 will fit in the rear. These shocks are listed as featuring the "sport" valving. So I ask the group: Why does Bilstein not offer a shock for the 1991 850i? Is it because the 1991 850i has the "old" wheel hubs? If so, will installing the "new" wheel hubs allow the Bilstein MSP-05491 shocks to be installed in the OEM strut? Does anyone have experience installing these particular shocks on a 1991 850i? Does anybody have a contact inside the Bilstein organization who can answer these rather technical questions?

The third challenge with option 3 is the compatibility of the Bilstein shocks with the OEM springs. The always-alert Mr. Castle asks a good question: Is it possible the springs on an EDC-equipped E31 are *different* from the springs on a car *without* EDC? In other words, is there any difference in spring rates? So I ask the group (OK, I ask Mr. Fling) does anybody have any BMW reference documents containing the spring rate information we need to answer this question?

So as I write this on Friday afternoon, our plan is to start bright and early Monday morning with removing the front struts because no matter what we do they have to come out of the car. Once the struts come out, we'll see if they can be rebuilt with the Bilstein replacement shocks. In a perfect world, it will prove possible to rebuild the original struts using the Bilstein replacement shocks and our research will indicate the original springs can be re-used. If that's the case, we'll install the rear shocks, align the car and take it for a test drive.

If it turns out the original struts *cannot* be rebuilt, we'll fall back to option 1, installing new BMW struts already built up with BMW shocks. Fortunately, my mechanic had the foresight to order the BMW struts from Germany when we began this project over a week ago and they have recently arrived. So we have them if we need them. If we install the new BMW struts, we'll again have to ensure spring rate compatibility - this time between the front and rear. And we'll have to install matching BMW shocks in the rear vice the Bilsteins so that the shock valving will be identical all around.

I should have an update late Monday or early Tuesday, Washington D.C. time. PMB

• [COLOR="Red"]Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:31:31 -0400[/COLOR] From: "Brown, Paul" <E31@his.com>

Gentlemen:

As promised, here is an update on my efforts to replace the EDC shocks on my 1991 850i, which has about 80K miles on it right now. Talked earlier today with my mechanic, who briefed me on his progress.

First, he advises me that it *is* definitely possible to rebuild the front struts. Apparently, once you remove the struts from the car, it's possible to replace the shock insert with another shock.

As you recall, our plan was to rebuild the front struts using Bilstein MSP-05491 Sports shocks. While it now appears that this would be technically feasible, we have decided against doing so. Here's why:

My mechanic summarized his conversation with an engineer at Bilstein's headquarters in San Diego, California. The Bilstein engineer advised that the Bilstein MSP-05491 Sport shock is not only stiffer than the EDC shock (at its stiffest setting) but the Bilstein Sport shock is *SHORTER* as well. (Ditto for the Bilstein MSP-05490 Sport shock specified for the rear.) The engineer didn't say precisely how much shorter the Bilstein Sport shocks are compared to the BMW shocks. But my mechanic estimated "about an inch." (If anyone has better data on that, please advise.)

Given that they are shorter than the OEM shocks, the Bilstein Sport shocks work best with shorter springs sold by aftermarket vendors such as H&R and Eibach. But we already knew that because several of our number have lowered their cars by installing Bilstein Sport shocks along with shorter aftermarket springs.

In my case, my mechanic opined that he could compress the stock springs enough to use them with the shorter Bilstein Sport shocks. But the stock springs are "progressive," which means that the more they are compressed, the stiffer they get. So in my mechanic's opinion, combining the shorter and stiffer Bilstein Sport shocks with the compressed progressive stock springs would result in a setup that "looked boy racerish" with a ride that was "overly harsh."

Now I realize that suspension tuning is a matter of personal preference and that different drivers have different opinions. So I acknowledge that a suspension setup that my mechanic derides as "boy racerish" and "overly harsh" might look "aggressive" and ride "firmly" for somebody else.

But answering a question of first impression, it appears that OEM EDC struts CAN be rebuilt using the specified Bilstein Sport shocks, albeit with a drop of about one inch and a rather significant change in feel. And although we did not reach the issue, it would appear that E31 struts featuring non-EDC shocks could be rebuilt using Bilstein Sports as well. Perhaps Mr. Hermans (who is in the middle of a similar project) will go that route and report to us.

As for me, after a brief flirtation with the Bilsteins I'm right back where I always thought I'd be -- worshipping at the altar of stock. In the front, we're going to install new strut assemblies, part numbers 31 31 1 138 551 and 31 31 1 138 552, which list for $486 each. In the back, we're going install matching shocks. (I don't have the part numbers yet, but I'll send them along ASAP.)
    Finally, we're going to install the "new" wheel hubs to replace the "old" wheel hubs.

Paul Michael Brown

• Bilsteins simply drop in stock non EDC struts, I did them, (after removing struts from car which is easy and after compressing spring which is pretty easy as well). No allignment required as the adjusters arn't loosened. I hear however that the EDC struts can be rebuilt (refurbished) for about $200 each. Can't remember where I saw that.

By the way, the 91 850 I just bought has EDC (unfortunately) they work fine as the car had 49,800 on it when I bought it recently. However I'm dying to lower the front a 1/2 inch, or lower the front 3/4 of an inch and the rear 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.
    I know Dinan used to resell springs for this but no longer does, is there and other manufacturer making them or some low miles used ones out there?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!