Battery Life

• In the years I have owned my 93 850Ci I have gone through batteries every 3 years in spite of keeping it on a battery minder when in the garage. Has anyone trued deep cycle or marine batteries to get longer life?

• In the past, I have replaced the batteries of my 8 series every 5 to 6 years and I never had any problems. The battery in my F11 series BMW is going to be 8 years old and is still working perfectly, modern batteries seem to last longer ...

• Hello David,

we have some 8 series drivers in the forum who have big problems with the starter batteries available today. These batteries have very low internal resistance and if you connect two of them in parallel, they often get drained or even break down very quickly.

For this reason I have equipped my 850 with only one battery, which has a larger capacity of 100 Amp/hour.

This prevents mutual breakage and also works for several years with no problems.

Many greetings

• I use a charger and the barries are still fine after 9 years.

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• You are lucky! maybe it will not be the same after replacement of your old batteries, as Christoph explained above.

My batteries were both dead after 2 years. Probably one defective and the other one drained because they are connected in parallel.

Based on input from this Forum, I changed to one single battery operation (100 Ah), but I kept a second one (70 Ah) as spare, and intalled a switch. This is just in case I forget to switch off the lights.

I never operate both in parallel. Most of the time running on the large one, only occasionally on the small one to keep it loaded.

IMG_5033.JPG
    Just be sure to never switch batteries while the engine is running!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!