Rear Fog Light Conversion

• Offizieller Beitrag

Posted by Steve Cohen on June 03, 2001 at 16:00:06:

Note: Edited by Tom Carter (Wuffer) after two installs using this procedure.

Editor’s comments are in brackets (…) for clarification.

Part numbers added by editor.

It is fairly simple:

Assumption: BMW is not going to have two different wiring harnesses for the same car.

You actually have:

1) the fog light units in the inner tail light units

2) the indicator light is in the dash including the bulb (in one car yes, in other car, no in my case).

All you need to do is:

1) purchase a fog/parking light switch with the rear fog as well as the front fogs on it. (Part# 61 31 8 351 238)

2) remove your (inner trunk mounted) taillight units.

3) notice that the fog light back is completely sealed in plastic

4) Make a template of a hole for a bulb holder from one of the other bulb holder sockets.

5) transfer that to the plastic of the fog light units

6) use a drill press and drill out the round section. (I used a 1” spade bit in a hand drill and a Dremel tool with sanding drum)

7) use a square file to make the two tab openings. (I used a razor knife - very carefully)

'8) purchase 2 bulb holders and bulbs (63 21 1 383 099/07 11 9 978 370)

9) connect the wiring that is already in place. (not in place on either of my cars. Had to make short harnesses one with the male pin at tached and splice in to ground and soldered to the bulb holders)

10) you will need to obtain 2 male pins (one per side) for the empty hole in the wiring harness connector (61 13 1 376 193 7)

11) insert bulbs and holders in fog lamp

12) remove old switch from dash, install new switch.
    12) flip on the rear fog light switch

13) be happy to note that the fog lights light up and the indicator on the instrument panel also lights. (if not, remove cluster and install bulb 32 13 1 383 311)

14) Great to get rid of tailgaters and also helps in dense fog as they were designed to do.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!