One DME unit in my 850 burned. What to do?

• I was driving in the highway when suddenly half of the engine stopped working. After investigations if found out the reason. The passenger side ignition coil was totally burned. It was cracked and the insides of the coil were melt out.

I replaced the coil but still there was no spark in the passenger side of the engine. Next I checked the Bosch Motronic DME units and there was burned smell in one of the boxes. I opened it and it was also burned. I could see that there had been fire inside the box.

I am currently searching for replacement but I havent had any luck this far. I am living in Finland and this type of car is really rare in here. I hope that I dont have to buy new unit from BMW dealer. :shock: It is probably really expensive.

There is one thing that has crossed my mind when I have been searching used DME unit. Is it even possible to use DME unit taken from some other 850 in my car? Is there some kind of unique code in the DME that prevents this? I asked this from local BMW dealer but unfortunately they did not know for sure.

Is there somebody in this forum who has replaced one of the DME units in his car? I would really appreciate if you could help me with my problem. I would also be interested to know if you have any clue what could be causing the coil to burn that way.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!