Beiträge von MK

I would guess your shock absorbers are on the way out (front struts and rear shocks).
    At higher speeds where downforce becomes more of an issue, the front can lift up more, and if the damping effect of the shocks is not adequate the car's weight would bounce more on the springs.
    Regards
    Mat

Hi Steve
    I’m not sure... but I thought your supercharged 840 was leaving the V12 guys for dust… you might have said on a couple of threads!? :grin2:
    I did like yours. In fact I made enquiries with the same people you had mentioned, about converting mine but they emailed back that they couldn’t, so I never chased it up.

I changed one front hub a few months ago…easy…new dust cover - absolutely Terry…and as you tighten the hub the leading edge of the bearing houses the dust cover perfectly ;-).
    However as I didn’t have torque settings and was in a rush, tightened the hub nut the old fashion way. I’ve got another two new front hubs and planning to change them symmetrically when I get a chance, because it does make a big difference.

What is the torque setting for both the front and rear hubs? anyone please?
    In fact for the rest of the suspension/drive train etc?

Terry - I have new hubs and a set of new bearings for the back as well (my hub problem is same as Steve – but unknowingly foiled attempt by an alloy wheel thief – I drove off in the car whilst the wheel nuts where already loosened off for a quick jack-up and steal :motz:). How bad is the job :banghead: ?

Regards
    Mat

Same here all weekend, Orange answerphone only!
    However, I've just managed to get hold of him this evening.
    I wanted the front end (nose cone and spoiler etc).
    He said he has sold the nose cone, but had the spoiler - but it has a crack which needs repairing - he wanted £100 for it !!
    He said lots of other things left.
    Cheers
    Mat

trapped liquid in dashboard????

I have managed to get air blocks out of some difficult to bleed V8s, like the triumphs, by the following way:

starting with a cold engine, obviously;
    all heater settings and fans on hot and full blast (ie fans and vents on maximum hot alike;
    with open reservoir cap/top radiator bleed valve/cap OPEN;
    have warm/hot anti-freeze mixture ready to top-up;
    wait for bubbles to appear/sometimes overflow - topping-up as you go along if needed- until it appears as bubble-free.

Now...I think... the way this works is that as the water system cools the oil system of a running engine and acquires higher temperatures, the thermostat valves will open up allowing water from the engine to drain into the radiator for effective cooling and re-entry into the engine waterways. whilst the heater valves are open, the hot water will also flush the cabin heater radiator and as fans keeping the radiators cooled the hot water will tend to flush through the system and carrying trapped bubles with its turbulence.

Now...since the reservoir/radiator bleed valve/cap is left open the water system is effectively disallowed from pressurising, hence allowing the trapped air bubbles to be dislodged, carried away and discharged out of the open bleed valve/reservoir.

This is all done at idle engine speeds or slightly above, if you were to accelerate during this time you would get an outburst of water gushing into the reservoir or bleed valve.

This has cured many air blocks in the notorious for over-heating triumph Stag engines for me.

I have not had this sort of problem with my 8 and have not tried this on it. So please wait for some comfirmation from other members who may have tried this on the 8series

Of course the alternative would be pressurised bleeding of the cooling system.
    cheers
    mat

need some reassurance

For me, the 8series is one of the most understated, yet exceptionally charismatic cars around.

With all due respects, I couldn’t care less about the so-called worldwide collectibility list; and I mean that sincerely.

Put it this way, if two mechanically and cosmetically good and relatively similar looking 8s were put next together, one were a B12 and other the least collectable, if the colour of the latter was my favourite I’d go for it.

The aesthetics of the 8 series is unexplainably attractive. In fact driving behind a nice 8 and observing it in motion is almost as enjoyable to me as driving one. Hand on heart, I don’t think I can say that for any other car.

Just enjoy owning one and do whatever you want with it. You never question yourself about spending thousands on your annual holidays or worry that you didn’t invest the money instead, do you?

Something that cheers you up, like your 8, is surely good for you and worth it.

Mystery (engine?) problem - car doesn't feel right

Hi Steve
    About six years ago I took my 840ci with around 80K miles to a secondhand topend/enthusiasts car dealer somewhere in Birmingham city centre, to part exchange it for a very low mileage R reg 840ci sports(4.4) with a full pack of extras etc. The dealer was recommended to me as truly knowing his stuff and trustworthy etc. no need to say that my car as always was absolutely tiptop, and I never thought that it missed the beat. the salesman checked my car over turned it on, fiddled with it a bit, then looking concerned, went and got the organ grinder to look at the rev counter.... basically they revealed to me that by 90K my engine could potentially totally die because of the cylinder lining properties of some of the 840 engines, and that the chap would make some enquiries as to whether my car had had cylinder block modifications or engine changeover. This was not at all a sales scam to pull one over me. Somehow, I never went back. But later I tried to make some enquiries of my own through main BMW dealers regarding warranty issues regarding these engines etc. NO one officially denied this fact and I was thoroughly hindered at every turn to find out more. I presumed not to let others know??? some exBMW mechanics since have confirmed similar accounts. That is honestly all I can tell you. Apart from assuming the larger bore of the later engine may have something to do with sleeving/different hardening processes etc. I thought that some of you out there would know more.
    regards
    Mat

Mystery (engine?) problem - car doesn't feel right

Hi Seb
    I had a similar problem, not on the 8 but another and it was simply air leakage problem, which was narrowed down to the hose for the servo unit.

Don't read the following bit Seb,,,,,,its for everybody else!!

Long time ago, I was told by a very good mechanic with inside knowledge of the early BMW 840i engine failure and warranty issues, that there was a design fault in the cylinder lining material/property/hardening process that ultimately lead to "wash out" in particular where the fuel mixture had been consistently rich etc.... this would lead at first to unexplainable and erratic idle below 7-800 rpm. and sudden death.
    Perhaps this is why the second 840i was in actual fact 84.4i ????? I don't know much about this.....just feel bad for Seb. please don't tell him.
    Mat

got my car back / strange emission issue

Afew years back, a main dealer had kept my car in for over a week to sort afew things out. Eventually I got a call and near closing time (last customer) I picked my car up and left the garage. After afew mile or so I realised there was far too much steam coming out of the exhust. I continued for another mile or so and instead of getting better it got worse.....So I decided to dart back to the dealers before they shut for the week end, more importantly so that they could not blame me for whatever was causing it!!
    You can't imagine what was going through my mind!
    At this stage I wasn't bothered if I was doing anymore damage to the car, I just wanted to get back to the garage. So waisting no time, I had the auto shift in third and in sports mode (which incidentally is my favourite for getting controlled massive-powered short blasts) as I went to overtake a string of 4-5 cars a gigantic cloud of pure white smoke totally covered the entire road so much as it took a second or so before I saw the cars I had over taken in the rear view mirror.
    I thought the head gaskets were surely blown.
    When I got to the garage they had already gone.......so had the steam.... the car was running absolutely beautifully. To this day I susspect the valet boys had jetwashed water into the exhusts.

Other signes of a blown gasket is water in the oil (oil filler cap showning emulsion) or oil in the water (oil/scum on water in the radiator reservoir tank checked when cold).

I'm sure and hope its just simply excess water in your exhust needing heat blasting out.

I hope this is not any of you guys

I'm sorry to say, I've never understood what the hell "burn out" is all about; what is it exactly supposed to prove? fair enough going through a set of tyres on a track day if you must, but jack the car up swap wheels burn them and jack up and change again!
    I wonder what is going through the spectators minds.......d***-h***? or wow... what a guy, What a car!!

Serve him right for abusing the 8 - I don't think he could have cared much anyway.

Rattle

Excellent Hemi
    Nice to hear the Stealers didn't get their hands on your car to change the gearbox or something first.
    cheers.

Camber Plates

Hi Noggie
    I hear you.
    I'm not so keen on excessive tyre wear either. I'm only enthused by everyone's positive comments about these fixed camber plates.
    In fact no one's advice so far has explained by how much the camber is changed or if they've had excessive/uneven tyre wear because of it.
    I would appreciate comments from you guys.

Camber plates

Schnitz
    Thanks for your input. I suppose if overal geometry wasn't an issue, two thick kideny shaped washers may do and perhaps easier to fit given the limited acces! Nevertheless, I still like the look of these ones (posted by ///M Turbo). I have emailed Gerry Speechley at Phoenix Motorsport about them I 'll let you know as soon as he communicates back.

Noggie
    I really have no idea by what degree do these fixed camber plates alter the standard camber angles. I have followed the advice from other members on the subject and their experiences. However, judging by some of the pictures that came with instructions, it would be more than 1-2 degrees.