Beiträge von Algernon

No difference to my understanding.

There will be two codes (atleast with a new unit) which will adjust the frequency to either EU or US bands when at first "boot".
    I bought a new one some years ago from Ebay and it has been working well and looks good too.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but it's related.

My fan has started to become noisy, anyone opened and fixed the bearings?
    Or is a replacement the only way with these?

Looks like an E36 (not Z3) would fit so they should not be too difficult to find in any case.

Hi,

The engine on my 850i seems to be shot, had a chance to use a camera today to see inside of the engine. Cylinder #1 has very bad marks on the cylinder wall and breathing oil like the oil spill in US...Smoke from the tailpipe blocks the view.

This means that this engine will be changed or the car will be scrapped, sold as pieces etc.
    750 engines are easier to find here but are naturally all automatics.

What is needed to make the E32 (-91) M70B50 fit to a E31 (-91) with Manual?
    I would assume to be dealing with Flywheel, clutch, oil filter assy.
    Anything else and has someone been this route already?

Engine I'm considering from E32
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/cata…owse/engine/short_engine/

Current E31
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/cata…owse/engine/short_engine/

Zitat von Pelle;74137

Hi
    no I´m not close but they seem to have a number "cats", they seem expensive. You could hear if he sends to Finland http://cgi.ebay.de/Katalysator…3%B6r?hash=item53dfeebb03 300 Euro is better than 450 Euro

Guys, million thanks, I was in Ebay just a day ago and this was not there then...
    and now it's coming to me...

I even managed to contact the seller within minutes.
    Maybe I'll get the thing running before the snow melts.

Hi there,

I have been trying to find catalysator for my 850 and found this place that has those.
    http://www.laga.se/en/delinfo.…2&bilkod=1570&delkod=7860

Problem is that they are not very helpful in sending that to Finland and would like to make a business to business deal. While calling today I was able to confirm that they indeed have the part but their english was not that good. As bad as my Swedish...

Anyone close to these guys? They are based on Norrköping

If this does not get sorted I'm considering on making a boat trip to Sweden during this week...

850 has been out of business for a month now.

I have been seeking a 1-6 catalytic converter for my 850i and found these guys online. Having seen that they should indeed have the correct parts I contacted the shop.
    http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ca…Series&sub=850&eng=5.0000

They are now insisting that an UK plate is needed to proceed, seems they want to ensure that correct parts are provided.
    Would anyone with around -90 850i be willing to "loan" their plates for this purpose?

Btw: On an unrelated front, I do have an brand new BMW converter now for the 7-12 side...

Only one side effected.

This was also the side of the engine that had the faulty distributor cap I changed last year...I guess it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. Damage to that cat must have started then.

There was also odd sounds from the intake, which would now seem to be back pressure or something like that because of the blocked exhaust.

so, actually made it to change the sensor...no effect.

Local garage had a look at it and current suspicion is that the right catalytic converter is blocked. He actually drilled couple of holes to the thing to be sure. Pressure was found before the cat and almost none after...

What have you guys used to cure this. I do not consider the BMW 2000€ and option (at least yet) also in Finland I can't de-cat this year of a car because of the legislation.

Anyone have any experience on these guys?
    http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ca…Series&sub=850&eng=5.0000

and sorry about the typos, I was so pissed by the unprofessional manner the local wrecking yard behaved when I drove to see the parts they were supposed to have in their stock. Couldn't be bothered to look because of the snow.
    That's a 300€ they are losing right now and I'm never going to that place again...

On these lines I have today ordered one crankshaft speed sensor and DME temperature sensor and a garage time to get a better understanding on this.

It's now -18C outside so I'm not going to go poking around today...let's see what happens tomorrow.

Changed my signature to show the answer to those questions.

Last year I changed the distributor covers and rotator which seemed to make the problem go away.Measured and changed one of the ignition signal leads, #12.
    However the problem was always worse on the winter so might have just been hiding...
    Changed the coils to a known better ones,without noticeable difference.

One strange thing, until now the normal failure mode is that car starts ok (not anymore) but after about 10km (when stopping and accelerating) it starts and get's worse.
    Almost like it heat would have some effect...

ok, seems I have the same than what was described here.

Was able to get to home but only barely, severely low on power.
    Also not starting without excessive cranking and not always at all. 1-6 side is down. Randomly igniting.

No error codes in memory as read by Carsoft 5 (can only read DME 1)

Should a crank angle sensor show on the diagnostics?
    I don't have an oscilloscope to check the sensor signals so that will mean an visit to the shop...

Also engine is breathing heavily from oil cap if it is open, don't know if it is related or not.

This used to happen sometimes while cold and usually a restart cured it but now it seems I'm stuck.

Open to all ideas at this point.

Zitat von rcrad6653;72219

The '92 850i I purchased last summer had 41k and has EDC. Now with 46,xxx the system is working as it should, but I just don't care for it and will be changing it out to conventional damping and firmer spring rates...

It might be a good idea to stick to those originals if you of someone else wants those of needs the mentioned upgrade. This would provide a nice spare set to keep the car running while the repair is done.

I might be having the same issue here.

Today I could not get the alarm off, when unlocking (from the door) and opening the door the alarm went on. I could hear that the remote unit was working as the relays were clicking inside when pushing the remote (not original BMW).

After couple of hours of keeping the interior heater inside the car all started to work.

Our temperatures here have been from -15 to -25celsius this year so far.

Ended up choosing the Bosch, model S3 007
    70Ah 640A (I think this is ment to be CCA)
    It says S3 is basic model but my way of thinking is that there are two of those...

~200€ for the pair or actually a little less.

Previous owner had installed two 100Ah units there.
    It seems that second battery has had one dead cell for a while and actually today I drove with only one of those batteries installed without problems.
    Guess I have been doing that for a while now without knowing about it.

Zitat von violetduck;68441

just to resurrect this thread...people's thoughts on the Z3...in particular the Z3m Roadster??

Any experiences good or bad??

Cheers!

I only have the one without the M-badges but with a nice enough powerplant at 2.8l. The Z does happen to have the m-sport suspension though, sticks like a glue to the tarmac...

Very nice, even for a big guy like me. 185cm and weight in the better part of 100kg.
    There is no extra room but roomy enough. Drove mine from southern Germany (Ulm) to Finland in couple of days so it's a tourer also. ;)

Motorbike doesn't see much road with the convertible being so nice.

Even used it during the winter for the first year and it was not bad at all but have kept it garaged it since. It started to be little problematic at -25C...

I have been meaning to sell it but somehow can't be bothered to actually make the effort. Also every time there is an opportunity there also seems to be an excuse not to sell it. It seems once the Z4 with folding roof comes down in price we might need to start to keep an eye on trade mags.

There is one thing that I'd change if it would be reasonable, this needs an 6 speed gearbox.

as for the VIN, look the bottom/lower part of windscreen on the passenger side behind the (or almost) windscreen wiper. It's a bit hard to locate but should be there.

This is for the German passenger version not the UK.