Beiträge von Fern

The long awaited SoCal Wrenchfest is on. I have just received the news the Fabrizio Aldrette (Fab) owner of EF1 Motorsports he has his Dyno installation in-process and will be ready next week. Therefore the date for the Wrenchfest will be Saturday August 30, 2008 starting at 9:00 am until 3:00 pm or so. It will be posted on Roadfly also. EF1 has a very nice and clean facility as you can see from the pictures below. He has 3 lifts and 1 alignment lift rack available along with tire mounting and balancing equipment. This is a great opportunity to get those small and not so small things done. So bring your parts and tools and get ready to have some fun and good company.

If you wish to attend I need you to register with me so that I can plan to event. fernm33@aol.com or sign up here.

Cheers!
    Fern
    fernm33@aol.com
    Cell: 213-422-3450

Sign Me Up:

Name:__________________________________

Email:__________________________________

Cell:___________________________________

Model:__________________ Yr:____________

We will have refreshment and some snacks during the day. If there is enough interest we can meet for early dinner at a local restaurant. If you would like to have dinner please let me know so that I can arrange it.

Dinner? Yes____ No____ Maybe if I'm to tired_____

EF1 Motorsports
    2675 Dawson Ave.
    Signal Hill, CA 90755 (next to Long Beach, CA)
    562-424-3378
    ef1motorspots@yahoo.com

Try these guys

Bullet automotive repair in Costa Mesa. They do good work and know our 8's well. Tell them Fern sent you.

Thanks to all

Sometimes I get a little flack from some of the posters on some site, but that is expected. Most are from those who don't even know about the 8 or own one. It's very nice to read some of the comments here as well as on RF. Good, bad or opinionated. They are all taken at face value and with no offence. Granted my car is not for the purest. It is for myself. I was a purest during my earlier days and it drove me crazy looking for that one and only OEM part that know one else had. My first project was in 1963 with a 1957 Chev Belair. In 1977 it sold for $18,500.

I guess I went crazy with this car, but then you have to be to take an 8 under the knife. I read where they wrote that I spent 32K on this car which is incorrect. It was just over 20K, still a lot of money. Without sponsorship from S&W Auto Body 6K paint job plus much more work done it would have been more. The expense was over a 15 months build period.

I have been modifying cars for longer than I can remember and still get excited every time I start a new project. It’s what I do for personal enjoyment besides traveling and enjoying life’s pleasures.

Some may ask what happens to them when I am done. Well my 3 son’s are the beneficiaries on my projects with the exception of this one. They will have to tear it from my hands when I am gone.

I have to say that like it or modifying is something that many have thought about doing to their 8 but have never taken the next step. I get many e-mails for 8ers and questions which I always try to answer including sending pictures of the build project. All request are answered. However I must add that if this was a CSI I would have not modified it…..welllllll maybe a little-little bit. :lol:

Thanks guys for the kind comments

Fern

Zitat von shiggsy

Any chance of seeing all the step by step photos ? Are they online somehwere ? That's a cracking colour for the car. 8)

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you some. make sure you put 8 Pictures in the subject...or it gets spamed.

Good Idea Marvin

Zitat von ///M Turbo

Fern, Regarding your Strut brace go, Why not make a Rear one instead? Lots of interest there and you want be stepping on any toes!!! By the way, I will take 3 of them... It would be much easier and needed far more than the front one because of the weaknest of the rear Strut tower, Let me know if you considerate please.

8eights-Marvin.

I'll look into it with the CAD designer to see if we can come up with something. But it take time.

Zitat von cel0202

Very cool... so your main headlights are now what used to be the flash to pass lights?:D

Hope this helps.

Note: Testing HID Low beams.

Testing HID Low and high beams. Niether had been adjusted yet.

Zitat von cel0202

Very cool... so your main headlights are now what used to be the flash to pass lights?

Also, I'm curious to see how your sub enclosure and amp is designed and positioned in the trunk. Would you mind sharing pictures of that too? :D

Here is a picture of the trunk with the box containing the sub already installed. Just a long box the width of the trunk with a hole cut into it for the sub facing forward. The white area is where the amps are mounted as in the next picture. Nothing fancy but very effective. Oh yes, the amps and the spare tire have a Plexiglas cover. (for shows) I also have a cover finished in suede that I can put over the spare to protect the Plexiglas when I load items in the trunk

Picture taken before the body work was started. Everything was pulled out except for the 2 amps before the body work was started.

The car was completly stripped including fenders and windows to paint all the jams. I have a complete set of step by step pictures of this project.

quote: Could you please give me your experience as to how you fitted them, and any associated pit-falls ? cheers, Tony. \\

Actualy the body shop that did them said it was not hard at all to install them. The hardest part was getting the measurement exactly right on both sides. They made a template first before cutting. After that they marked the area and cut the hole for the pouch that the grills pop into the fender. Then they tacked welded the insert pouch in place before finishing. Once the fender was painted the grills poped right in place.

Here it is for those who have e-mailed me. I had some time today to put a few pictures of my modification in my personal picture gallery along with the paint process pictures. This is not for the purist for sure. :shock:

Just click on my picture to link.

Post a little late but...

I had my M3 vents installed about 9 months before the first 8-Fest in 2003. They were set in place by M1 a very good custom house. You can tell by this picture that I am not at all a purist.

Zitat von ballaamir

I don't know.... the color is gorgreous, however as a purist I feel that it's a little too much on the styling. To many flairs & induction scoops for me... now I could change my mind if she can hold 140mph for as long as road conditions can permit, then she is welcome.

This car is defiantly not for the purist. Believe me, I have been there myself with other cars I have owned and it drove me crazy. This is my 5th BMW 3 of which I have modified. My daily driver is a 330Ci fully modified. Has won 17 trophies and been in 5 magazines. This car has already been in Eurotuner as a snap shot of the build project. European and Bimmer magazine will be shooting it next month. It’s just my hobby it’s what I do. I really appreciate those who keep their cars in pristine condition.

Oh and yes, she ran over 140MPH from CA to AZ with not problems for about 25 miles until I had to slow for traffic. Love this 8 becuase it loves the open road.

Zitat von peter1980

Welcome (again)
    Wow, that is impressive. What size tires do have in the rear? Ever thought about getting them a little wider so they fill the wheel arches more?

Peter

I am runing 305 tires in the rear with 11" wheels and a 5" lip. DPE wanted to get these new wheels out for Bimmerfest so it was a little rushed. They will be getting them back soon to add more lip 1-2"

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Just wanted to introduce myself again to the forum. I have been away for a while but want to get back into it. Just completed my 95-840 body work and rolled out the car at Bimmerfest this year. Hope to meet some good 8 owners here.

I'll try to answer anyone who may have questions about the car. List of modifications are in my profile.

Fern