Beiträge von Cavallino

I found a new site, BMWECU.ORG which appears to be moderated by hardware / software / firmware / limpware guys.

Might be a good lot to augment the mechanical expertise on the club.

Let's throw some issues and problems his way and see how good he is!

Cheers!

Michael

Jason,

Please post what you find.

My Spring project is the installation of an Electromotive motor management system which will allow me to remove and sell the distributors, DME's and all related ignition and fuel controls, not to mention I will be taking off the DK's and going to an old fashioned cable sysem for throttle.

So I am interested in Carsoft for what functionality is left on reporting.
    There are enough real users (not the on-line blog complainers) who say it is as good as any of the others.

The key could well be a newer laptop which is faster and newer to help underpin the patches (my mum's laptop is older than all of us!). The two chaps on bmwecu.org sound like that will be a good site. I am xurious how many E31's went into Russia.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Michael

Argonaut,

Mine is also a 97 M73.

Did you get the same results for both total digital test and single digital test? Did you get not responding each time?

You mentioned having noted the error codes. Doesn't 6.5 actually provide printed list of codes?

I have heard of a number of bmw owners not getting full results on Carsoft. There are patches available for tweaks. There is a Russian fellow on bmwecu.org that seems knowledgable on these matters. Although I have not posted (vented) there is also a major posting in regards to Carsoft on BimmerForums (although it is more like venting). The shop I am familiar with is now proofing GT1 (which I know nothing about).

Those guys above should be of more help than the silent bunch here!

Cheers.

Michael

Michael,

So in addition to all the above you have also increased to 5.8L, added Schrick cams, ported and polished heads, increased comp. ratio to 9.2:1 and added stainless headers and double 2.5 inch stainless thru 2 hi-perf cats.

My first thought is may I have your throw-aways? They are better than my car!

I am posting the photos of the installation. Hopefully, I will have some kick-ass heads for you to add at some point.

Regards,

Michael Beck

Michael,

Thank you for the photos. Killer looking 8.

I sent you back an email with more info.

Since the blower is off to Vortech, doing a little research is a good idea.

I believe your charge temps could be too high based on all of the exposed alum. tubing I see in the photos. Also, those 90's are tight and sharp which also slows and creates heat (through friction). To the blower, there are molded round and smooth inlet pipes that flow much more air into the blower than the 'bellows' pipe. The compartment is so full, I wonder about getting the heat out and cooling everthing down some.
    Gofastermasters comment about adding water injection is a good one.
    It works (as long as you do not run out of water). I like using the washer bottle because when it gets low you get a warning.

Have you checked out the Rotrex website? 8Tech describes using the 38-81 for launching his cruise missle in the 600hp mini series (which he owes us the next chapter on).

Michael

Faisal,

Thank you for reaching out to Henry. I look forward to the post.

What did you think of Arao's idea of taking the 48 valve BMW head and doing a digital copy to allow reverse mounting and then populating with BMW parts? That has to be the least expensive 48 valve route.

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

That is the kind of information I was asking about. Although the Vortech produces a different type of progressive boost, it is none the less a good amount of boost. Thank you for all the head gasket info.

Just out of curiousity, what else was done at the time of the Vortech install (more air, headers, exhaust?). How was the enrichment handled?

You note that you then pulled the motor apart and did more including port & polish. Was that due to a mechanical problem or just the motor tiring and burning oil? Did you look at the head gasket when the motor came apart and the impression on the heads and block? Did you change pistons to raise the C/R? What did your timing chain and timing gears look like? Did you change the chain?
    How much power do you think you were making after the changes?

Do you have an LSD on your car?

As per above, pics would be great. Look forward to your replies.

Thank you again.

Cavallino

Sorry for all the questions, you have opened Pandora's box for me!

Adam,

It would be interesting to know just how much power could be realized by the porting / polishing, etc.

I will email Faisal and see if he will touch base with Henry to get a feel of what he charges and what he gets as a result. I will ask Faisal to post the results.

I also would like to get specifics from 8Tech as to his knowledge on this.

The only other shop I know that has experience on this is Bavarian Imports in Atlanta. I believe Mike is a Clubber.

Michael

Noggie,

I am curious if anyone has put low boost on the M70 motor and at what point the head gaskets blow. As long as the gaskets held it should work.

The ESS site is a good one. The head on the 3.0L flows really well. That is a good part of the reason it makes so much HP.

Sadly, there are no head options with any of these motors. That is one of the reasons that I am exploring all manner of possibilities. There is a racing team near which uses a special type of filler to close up the old ports and remachine new configurations. I am checking most everything.

I do understand your thinking and why.

I am still going through the process with the three main companies here before throwing it the towel.

Thank you for input.

I used to do some work for Elkem Ving of ESI and traveled to Burgen. Where are you located?

Michael

Firstly, any SC with real boost making real BHP requires the motor coming out and apart. It is not a simple bolt-on unless you are looking at a 400 hp motor. Then add an SC, charge or intercooler, free flowing exhaust and all the brains to run the fuel management and the cost is less. I base my statements on historic fact from actual experience rather than conjecture. THe 850 motors are not bulletproof.

Standard motors do not hold up well to forced induction. If you do not believe me, try it. Running supercharging or Turbos require taking apart and carefully tuning. Forged or billet cranks are a must. Special rods are a must. Removing any sharp edges or corners from the combustion area to avoid detonation is a must.

Dinan did major internal work on their 515 hp TT 850. They even did a 650+hp TT. That conversion was at least $30K back in the '80s. I was at Steve's shop, saw them, did the test drives with Steve around Mountain View and our local shop became a distributor.

One of the big goals on this head rework is to not have to go into the motor so deeply. Without the 6.0L enlargement, TT or SC, the choices are minimal. Here the purpose makes itself apparent. Our idea is to increase volumetric efficiency.

I have done three turbo BMW conversions. The '88 M6L was a Dinan project done in Atlanta by an excellant shop. To put any real amount of boost on the motor requires lower C/R. Dinan used shorter con rods and a thicker head gasket to accomplish. With more boost we were still blowing head gaskets or melting piston crowns. O-ringing the head was the answer and we put huge boost on that motor. Then it melted transmissions and rear ends, melted.

Also did a turbo on early model M3 that also require a motor redo. Finally, an M5 with Dinan turbo conversion. All of these required the motor out and apart and H/D parts installed. Of course, the motor management and fuel requirements were changes as well. These were all expensive conversions and as I pushed for more power and we leaned the fuel curves/ they made more power before they failed.

There is more to be learned and exposed here. As Adam stated, the cams, gears, chains, on and on for a 48 valve motor is frighteningly expensive. A $30K or less 48 valve conversion is simply not going to happen. There will not be a simple answer here.

The V12 heads are actually terrible for power purposes. They are great for a boulevard 7 series toodling about.

That is too terrible to even contemplate

Protecting this site must be done at all costs.

As to the lad & nappy thing, repetitive and positive assurance that he will get it right and praise when he gets it right is the quickest way. I had this challenge about 28 years ago with my 2nd petrolhead son.

Michael

Please read, need your response on high flow heads

Please provide a bit of input if you would actually be interested in the following. Very real progress has been made and this is to a group effort where your opinion counts. Are you really happy with your V12 as is and have no plans to change? OR

1) I would buy heads that I could swap my old ones for and bolt on approx. 40-50 BHP (including headers). The DME, DK's , etc. would remain as is. Other tweaks would enhance the output number. What is this worth?

2) I want more power output but want simple bolt on's without a major engineering effort. Looking for 65-75 BHP increase and want to swap cores. Other tweaks would enhance the output number. What is this worth to you?

3) I would invest in a Supercharged system or Twin Turbo route to put
    me in the 460-470 bhp arena where I do not have to take my motor apart.

4) I am focused on the 8Tech solution close to 600bhp and will pay for it.

5) I want 500+ N/A BHP via a 48 valve M8 style motor using primarily BMW parts & design knowing this will cost more than I paid for the car originally but it must be as well done and at a level similar to the Powerplant 6.0L artwork by Henry.

Please help! We need V12 heads for actual mock-up which will be flow tested and run on test V12. This effort would be by a small but astute Clube31 member group. Depending on your votes and to some degree commitment, this would eventually be rolled out to Roadfly and others to lower cost. This is our Alpha version now.

This whole effort is very serious with solid minds behind it (which does put mine in question, I suppose!).

Thank you for taking the time to give your input.

I did not hear exhaust sounds, I heard music.

You tease, why such a short video? I want to hear the downshifts, the burbling, the crackling, more upshifts, dam the MOT, full speed ahead! Now you know it is a V12.

The primary reason I wanted the E31 was to get a proper V12 6 speed before they are gone (I know, I am still working on the 6 speed part).

Michael

As far as why, I believe our V12 was designed for the E32 750i. A comfortable and large 7 series would want a smooth, quiet, elegant and low rpm torquey motor. That is exactly what these motors are. The simplex chain is one of the first giveaways. Any high revving motor BMW or otherwise uses duplex chains. The 750 used intake manifolds which have the long runner to enhance torque rather than the typical intake with individual butterflies that is a short ram from a large plenum. And most of all, the 'packaging', hence the 90 degree port with low exhaust exit to cast iron lump manifolds. Gentlemen, we have been duped (again).

There was a corporate compromise. Even the CSI's were so smooth you could balance a coin on the intake cover when at idle. Personally, I prefer more of a cammy motor that hates to idle and is anything but smooth.

You are correct that there is not adequate material as stock to port. I am actually not thinking porting. I am exploring changing the exhaust port from 90 degree to more of a straight out higher on the head very similar to the intake. This means furnace aluminum welding to abandon the old lower port with a higher D type design. That is why the valve needs to be rotated from the valve seat to approx. 10 degrees instead of 2 degrees.

The concept is in one operation to remove old valve seat, alum weld the area, add material where the new valve guide will be, fill the lower area that is now port and add material for new lugs for relocated valve rocker, etc.

The second step is a CNC machining operation to add the exhaust valve back at a canted angle with the new straight port and high exit exit. The BMW head casting are of very good quality and consistent.

8Tech pointed out a possible concern with the new valve angle closer to the piston and a flycut may be necessary. Of course, I would prefer not to have to machine the pistons if possible.

Clearly, the water jacket will be breached and a new path will be determined. There are multiple possible solutions to this.

One of the engineers from Trick Flow Technologies is who suggested this approach after doing a little CAD manipulation. Although some knowledgable tuners have tried improvements and had problems, I have been working with head and flow engineers. Originally, I was thinking that they provide new head castings that we could buy at a reasonable price. They can do that but for small quantities, they say mod the existing heads.

Arao Engineering does a neat trick making 4 valve heads for V8's that flow amazingly for the cam in block motor. I proposed they use aluminum billet (as with their other offerings), used their 5 axis CNC to make a two piece head. The bottom is the head with valves. The top is a cam box as with the old 6 cylinder M5. But then you still have the matter of the cam chain for between the two cams per bank and chain to the crank. Since 4 valve heads love to rev, a duplex chain with better tensioner control might be required which will not fit in the existing front housing (more machine work).

Forget the DME and the DK control. All of that has to amended as well. Cam box covers, new intakes, new exhausts, relocation of many parts and pieces around the motor also need to be considered.

Then we discussed using the 4 valve BMW head (on one bank) with mods and making a digital template to allow CNC machining its reverse for the other cylinder bank. That way, so much of the existing BMW parts and hardware could be used. In my opinion, this is the best 4 valve head scenario.

After all of this, you can see why I am going back to trying to use the OEM head as a starting point to make it possible for a number of people to use. Adam is taking all of this to a flow wizard they use who has done work for TWR and other big names.

We are clearly going to need to supply some heads for both the UK bunch to check, make molds of, etc. as well as for the companies here in the States.

I am trying to get my hands on some cracked or damaged heads at favorable pricing for mock ups and trial. I suppose it would be smart to post asking it such existed.

Intakes, heads, cams and headers are usually the first place to gain HP. Since there is no aftermarket heads available, I contend we come up with our own version.

All the E31 V12 guys making the most HP are using a variation of the original heads albeit modified. I am thinking starting with a better and less compromised design.