Beiträge von Frix

Guys,

Seeing as the weather is getting worse and my 8 wil be my winter drive - i noticed that the 8s have a "timer" that (i assume) puts the heaters on at the time you specify.

Mine doesnt seem to work.

After setting the time, the orange LED on the button is lit...the timer is set. I have left the heater on and turned off the engine, locked car etc and the light is still on. However, the following morning, approx 10mins after the timer was supposed to come on...the car is as cold as anything.

I am doing something wrong or is this setting not for the heater? Comments welcome.

Zitat von peter1980

Three years :shock: How is everything working? I'm planning on storing the car for the winter, but'I've heard awful stories about parts failing after you've stored the car. Parts like, bushings, fuel pump, brakes, etc.

Anyway, glad you have it back now.

Cheers, Peter

I suppose if you start it up and leave to idle at least once a fortnight (or month) it should be ok.

Sorry lads...looks like i am the latest to pull out this time :(

Got the tyres fitted and the car is washed and waxed but the g/f is not feeling well...I cant really leave her alone (even though it has kinda crossed my mind!) looks like it just isnt meant to be this time! :evil:

Sorry for the let down chaps...will keep my eyes peeled for the next meet and def be out :D !!

I wanna see some good pics!! Weather seems to be holding!!

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

Mate...nice 1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 235/45 R17 Z @ £81 per unit...

Total £200.64p for 2 units delivered...and hopefully in time for the weekend. :D

I even found a disocunt code "pistonheads" that gives 5% but as these tyres are already "special discount" i didnt qualify for the 5%. D'Oh!

Still...far better price than some other sites I was looking at...there is a pint with your name on it Wayne... :wink: (whether at this meet or the next...lol)

Guys,

I've had a minor set-back...my front OS tyre has a puncture - noticed it only yesterday when the car was pulling hard to the left.... :evil:

Seeing as one needs doing - i am going to replace both of the fronts so they can wear evenly.

I really dont want to replace it with any old crap and sourcing Eagle F1s is proving quite tricky. (**has anyone got a good source for locating these??**) 235/45/17s are currently on there.

The puncture isnt too bad...i am losing air of course but the 8mile trip to work is doable. Just need to top it up every 2-3 days - I am a little put off by the 2.5hr high-speed drive to the meet...it may get worse very quickly and then out comes the yellow AA card...lol.

Is it worth the risk to come up anyway or should I get it sorted first...??

:?

Cheers Stuart...so i guess from all of that ill probably just leave it alone then... :lol:

Interesting points about the placement - never quite saw it that way although it makes perfect sense.

I have often thought about the design side i.e. it was made for a particular purpose etc. Cost is another factor in the equation (e.g. quality of materials used) not to mention any restrictions with IP (intellectual property) - but you touched on this under the "better final design" part. There may be a better/more efficient way to perform a task but that method may be protected (generally speaking).

Going back to the cleverness of designers and parts being designed for purpose, why oh why is the rear end of an Alfa GTV/Spyder (previous model) so damn UGLY?

Its like they spent all day developing that front end and when they finally reached the front it was 4.59pm...dab...dollop...bene...lets go home. ??

Stuart...what are you thoughts on exhaust upgrade?? (getting comfy again)

:D

Zitat von Stuart8er

And there endeth Stuarts drunken sermon for the evening, I bid you all goodnight sirs (hoping I've not just written a load of complete jibberish but to be honest I can't be arsed to reread it to check) Hick! 'night all :lol:

:lol:

Makes a lot of sense...esp the part about pure volume of airflow which is what i had initially thought was the aim of an aftermarket kit - to ram as much cold air into the engine as possible.

As sods law goes...(sorry to keep refering back to my Jap modding roots) but the standard airbox on an mr2 (na and tubby) was hugely restrictive with resonator boxes etc etc...taking all that crap out of the engine bay freed up a LOT of room...and the air filter would then be placed just inside the side vent (mid engined car). The performance difference was easily noticable (more on the na than the tubby) but the sound difference was phenomenal!! Hence my intial thinking about restrictions to airflow.

Faisal...looks very good...that is what i was talking about in the beginning.

Cheers for all the info guys...much appreciated!!

:)

Zitat von Lloyd

Frix this is a question that I had asked myself, however like Steve said the standard set up seems to get the thumbs up.

i cant get my head around the fact that an aftermarket filter is little more than a thin mesh...and given that the standard filter has all those tubes and a thick filter...it must be a little more restrictive. I dunno...probably not all that important anyway...lol

Zitat von hallworth1

as someone was kind enough to shoot me down when i posted my report :)
    Les

lol...cheers guys...i guess ill just stick to standard set up for the time being :)

Talking of standard...the only thing that remains now is the cd changer which i am still waiting to turn up...these strikes are really annoying!! Im getting so bored of Heart FM!! :roll:

So i guess the saying applies...if it aint broke...

It does make sense though...on a car that caliber for the air filter to be just right i.e. without need for upgrade...

The filter and zorst are usually the first performance upgrades done.

Cheers :)

Zitat von stevep840

then came the S/C with a Cone Filter & surprisingly NO change in Induction noise :!:

:? hmm...

Mind me asking what order no. is it for the K&N cone (or even better a website that sells it). Will the fitment be the same as on a standard 8?

On my previous cars which were both the same make and model (only 1 was turbo the other na) the induction components couldnt be more different...

Cheers...

OK guys, as the title suggests - i am just wondering if anyone has put any aftermarket air filters on their 8er?

I have been reading posts about exhausts and sound - surely a nice Apex-i or K&N cone will give a better sound to the standard airbox (and possibly find another 5 stallions).

Any thoughts on this? (pls forgive me if this topic has been exhausted - i havent seen any similar posts).

Also, whoever has fitted one on...what is the part number? I have fitted quite a few of these on my other cars with relative ease.

Frix