Beiträge von Sama

if the latter can be done and the buttons can be physically installed, then electrical connections can be done wirelessly to a close receiver. We would just need power in the wheel. I'm assuming it will not have any power as there is nothing to light up. We could use a wire that has enough leeway to spin around, but I suppose if that can happen, then we can use a wire for all the switches.

Otherwise, tapping into the airbag power is the last option... scary!

Zitat von TallTony

this company seems like they know what they are talking about, despite them selling on EbayUSA. It would appear to be a high spec machine too, and the list price is good, even after import taxes have been paid.

What do you think ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…em=200124575319&rd=1&rd=1

good value, but personally I wouldn't get a VIA. Most people's argument for having a VIA based chip is that it's power efficient, low heat and more than enough for most carpc tasks. But for me, I always like to go higher spec, like a core duo! I hate to think that when a new app comes out, I can't use it, or if a skin is too flashy, it will be slow on my system. Higher power does mean more to think about (heat and power), and of course higher cost.

so about the above, I think it will do the job perfectly well, but wouldn't be my choice. Which type are you? buy a dell or make a pc? :)

Zitat von TallTony

I've seen the motorised screens several times. One option that I previously considered was the Pioneer AVIC X1r unit, but at the end of the day I would be unhappy with an obvious 'bolt on' change to the interior. I have to make this look factory and a modified centre console is the only way. I have a quote for a new moulding, but I'm still looking for a better deal. Anyone got a spare for me that I can buy from them ?

agreed. Perhaps you can get an aftermarket facia adaptor from somewhere, and use that as your starting point to fabricate. I've looked around and cant' see any, but maybe you can have better luck.

Zitat von TallTony

Multi Function Steering wheel..... this project is already spiralling out of control :lol:

Now I need :!::lol: to find one of those that will fit. It has been done before, but needed modifications which may be beyond my scope. We will see on that one.

yes, NEED! I have a feeling that all BMW wheels will be have same fittings, but that's just a hunch.

Zitat von TallTony

I want a 7" screen for my set up as this is width of the DIN unit and would look more in keeping with the lines of the centre console. Which one would you recommend, as there are so many to choose from ?

An 8" widescreen is the most perfect DIN fitting. It would be nice if there was a transreflective version (not affected by sunlight). This is the one I have. It also auto switches input, which is useful for having a reverse camera with a relay on the reverse light. Stick it in reverse, and the camera comes on :)

Zitat von TallTony

Long post that :D

Just 'cos I don't have the car yet, doesn't mean you can beat me to it! :p

I just had a thought. It should also be possible to integrate one of the later BMW board computers in there, for those that want to really keep an OEM look. It's much harder than a PC and not as configurable, but you do get true BMW originality if you do it.

cel0202 I forgot to mention that the s/w I'm running is not a specific BMW version, it's a skin that is running on RoadRunner.

Zitat von cel0202

The photoshop work made the modification look very intriguing, but i am still on the fence like ukzero.

I am on the straight and narrow path and thought that the 8s will be worth a ton of money in the future ( I plan on keeping mine for a very long time) and mods like this worry me, but perhaps it adds value to it? Who knows. I keep hearing stock is always better than mods? Is that right?

If it's built correctly, it's easy to go back. keep the HVAC and don't cut the wires, but rather piggy back onto them. As for the dash, you can either create a new central-part for it, or get a new one to hack. I'll be reversing the E39, I'll post pics before/after.

I'm certainly not going to be selling the car (that, btw, I don't have yet :)) and plan to mod it to frigging bits anyway! It'll be my project car.

Zitat von cel0202

A few questions on the computer...

Is the BMW software stable that gets installed stable?

What happens if the computer crashes... does that mean all controls for the HVAC are unavailable?

fairly stable. it depends what you put on it. car computers are not without their woes. I had mine running for a long time in a very stable state, running GPS and listening to music (most common tasks), but there are times when you'll need to do some maintenance, and there are times when it will crash - at which point you either press the reset button, or curse yourself that you didn't stick a rest button at the front, and you have to stop the car, go to the back, press reset and wait!

You're right, the HVAC will not work if the carpc is off/dead, but there's no reason why you can't run both. I have the MID (multiple instrument display) in my glove compartment, in case the carpc goes down, I can still listen to radio and access the OBC functions. You can easily relocate the HVAC controls and keep them as backup. You'll have to bend down to wherever you relocated it, but it does give you a backup solution for when the carpc is dead and the windscreen is too fogged up to drive.

If you want a carpc but not fabricated in, then one of these may be ideal:

Zitat von argonaut

Hi Sama, the BMW uses a bus, theres a thread on a yahoo group called Hack the bus - here's a link http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HackTheIBus/

aye, though I've read conflicting posts on the group. the tables say all E31's had ibus, yet others talk of the IKE bus. I guess we'll have to see what's possible. The E46's open and close windows via the ibus, as well as control singals, lights and various things (E39's too). It's a nice thing to have with the carpc. Hope the E31's really do have it.

It's Sama :)

The hear you on the wheel buttons, I can't imagine not having them now that I'm so used to it from the E39. It's all possible tho, check the other thread!

Zitat von Paul_M

If the HVAC can be controlled by the CarPC then I'm very interested. I think the OBC would be a lot of work, and I'm not too bothered anyway as only one slot needs to be freed up in addition to the head unit to allow fitment of a good sized widescreen display.

As I wrote in the thread in General, I think a steering wheel volume control will also be necessary for safety reasons. Not sure about everyone else but I change the volume often enough that I want to be able to do it without having to look at a touch screen and pressing the correct point.

I'm certain HVAC can be done. Steering controls can also be done. A wheel from another BMW, like an E39 can also be used. If the wires can't be fed through, then it can be done via radio (someone on mp3car has done it!)

I did the install in the E39 completely reversible, for that very reason. There's no reason why you can't do that. Also, you could just get a motorised single din screen, that can replace the headunit only, and use a pc with that. stick the laptop in a docking station in the boot/under the seat/dash/anwyhere it'll fit, and you're off. oh you'll need an amp too!

Zitat von TallTony

Just an idea. But this is how my centre console would have to look. On this image the screen is a tad too large, but you get the idea.

UKzero.... see how your car could look :?::lol:

nice photoshop work there :)

the bigger the screen that will fit, the better in my opinon. An 8" widescreen should fit nicely, but there's also the possiblity of ridding the OBC from there and mounting a 10" screen in portrait.

Zitat von argonaut

Excellent ideas! I was looking at this idea yesterday and I'm definitely going to go for it. Tony, I like the idea of getting the carpc to control the heater etc freeing up a couple of din slots to mount a nice touchscreen. That and the iDrive - I agree, that would über-cool. Has to be done, rude not to really.

That's the attitude :)

Zitat von argonaut

I looked at some carpc software yesterday and found something called Centrafuse - I downloaded the trial program and have it running on my PC here at home, I think it's pretty good but I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives.

Anyone have an opinion on Centrafuse? There are a number of plug-ins for this system, one of which allows interface with OBD II meaning you can read the error codes using the carpc

Centrafuse is great. I have personally used RoadRunner (RR), which is a free community based project. It can do everything that Centrafuse can and more. But Centrafuse is a commercial product and was built on the lessons learnt from Roadrunner, so you can expect to see better speed and better integration of the various plugins.

I'm actually developing my own front-end called Velocity. It's still in its infant stages so the version released is not at all ready, but I do aim to complete it soon, as my time permits, and it will also be a community supported effort.

Zitat von argonaut

I haven't had my 8 all that long and I'm already dreaming up various modifications :)

I haven't even got an 8 series and I'm dreaming about a) having one, and b) modding it :D

Zitat von TallTony

It might take me a while to gather all the info & parts required but this is something I'm going to do to my car.

Zitat von TallTony

That said, I am going to have to make it look different to Lion's car. I applaud his efforts but, for me, the system does look strange and not in keeping with the e31 interior. Take a look at the e46 install photo I found last night. This IS an aesthetically perfect job IMHO and is something that would need to be at least equaled in my car if I'm going to take the plunge on this.

I totally agree. The factory look is the pinnacle target to have. That e46 bezel is done by srctrc from mp3car, his website is http://www.mybimmer.net. He is a reasonable man with reasonable prices for a custom jobs. There's also another guy called Janus that does the same ones, but I'm not sure if he'll do custom 8 series jobs. I will do it myself and would advise it too. It took me 8 months to finally get what I wanted (about 5 attempts) but now I have acquired the skill and I think anyone can.

Zitat von TallTony

It seems to me that the shopping list for the project is fairly straightforward. However the success of the install hangs on how the the Screen sits in the cabin.

recipe is:

- screen
    - motherboard
    - memory
    - hard disk
    - automotive power supply
    - amplifier
    - lots of cables, fuses, and probably some relays too
    - some case or mounting platform (easy to make an mdf/aluminium sheet and put those elevated motherboard screw thingies in)
    - hours of research, planning, configuring and various tinkering!

Zitat von TallTony

Ideally the HVAC and OBC would be controlled by the carPC. I'll hold my hand up and say I havent got the foggiest how to do this, but am good at following detailed instructions......... so if you know how, please share the info :D

Second best would be just for the HVAC to be controlled by the carPC. Then the OBC could be postioned in the bottom DIN slot, with the screen occupying the middle and top DIN slots. Then you wouldn't have to move the HVAC to the armrest area, preserving some of the integrity of the car's interior - and be simpler with just the HVAC ibus/kbus to worry about :shock:

I'm pretty sure the first option done. The hackiest way would be to solder wires onto the buttons so they can be pressed, and then to hook on to the lights that would normally light. This gives an input and output to the HVAC which can be controlled with some USB board. Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the HVAC on the 8er, it doesn't have an LCD which is good as they are not as easy to hook onto.

The OBC would be a bit more cumbersome to do that way as it has an LCD. But I'm sure it runs on some sort of bus, since it has to get readings from all over the place. So the means to do this, I'm sure, like in hooking up to whatever bus it runs on. And as you said, worse case scenario, is to ditch the HVAC and headunit, and just put a screen in.

Zitat von TallTony

I noticed this input device http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_5451.html see pic below.

That coupled with the iDrive Skin would be ubercool 8)

Funnily enough, Cherrybomb and I on mp3car developed a driver for that very device, and I reverse engineered it's protocol as you can see in this thread. I have a space navigator and the only thing I dislike about it, is the horrible blue LEDs. But I've taken it apart and you can get on the hat part of it installed, for an even more factory look!

It doesn't spin all the way, it's a spring loaded resistance. A better option maybe to go for the immersion touchsense , which can spin all the way, but can also be made to apply force. So some screens it can spin freely, other screens it "clicks" into positions, and others you can limit the range. I've not seen any implementations of it yet, but the new mercs have that similar system.

It's all in the subject. I'm looking for an 850csi, preferably a RHD, but I will also consider a euro-spec LHD. It has to have done around 80k or less, and be in very good shape. I don't expect to see a brand new car, but certainly a car that has been loved and cared for. If you have one you'd like to sell, or know of anyone selling one, please let me know.

I have an superb condition Black E39 535i for sale. It has extensive FBMWSH (never touched by non-BMW hands - every receipt kept). You don't hear a single squeek or vibration as it glides on the road. It has done 81,000 miles, and I am the third owner. The first BMW executive owned it for a few thousand miles, then the previous owner had it until 60, and I've had it since. If you're interested, or know anyone that is, please get in touch for more details.

not sure if you're still doing this, or if what I'm suggesting is possible, but how about acquiring an E39 system, as that will support full climate control, and should be relatively cheap as there are loads of dead E39's.

Having said hello here, a couple of members and I were talking about a carpc. I thought I would move the discussion here to a more descriptive thread, to gather some ideas.

I must say at this point, i don't yet have an E31, but I'm actively looking for a CSi and will get one eventually!

If you're new to carpc's, have a look here. I have previously done an install in my E39 which you can see here and here.

A carpc will basically modernise the E31's dash to give GPS, music, videos, and loads more, including realtime engine tuning (not for the faint hearted!)

This, I'm sure you will agree, looks very dated:

It's not the first time an 8 series has been done. There is a Russian guy called Lion that's done an 850ci install on mp3car.com. He's been very innovative and used a CDROM drive mechanism as a keyboard extender! He's also moved the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) and the OBC to lay flat, and placed a touch screen in all the space he made. Here's his install:

James, the Admin from digital-car.co.uk, has successfully placed two screens in his Peugeot 406. This should be doable in the E31 in a similar diagonals fashion. I've seen from Lion's install log that there's plenty of space to do that behind the existing controls.

Another alternative is to change the dash all together with one that has a flip pocket at the top, and place the screen in the top part. Then with some mouldings, make it look like the latest cars, like the 6 series for example.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't have a screen at the top and one at the bottom (one for music etc, the other for navigation).

Cheers guys!

@Jason the screen is touch sensitive, it acts exactly the same as a mouse.

TallTony it's all possible. The OBC runs on a bus system of sorts (either k-bus or ibus or something, research required). It's possible to get the carpc to control this (as well as the heater controls). If not, then it's possible to make an interface using a USB board of sorts.

I've got a few ideas how to approach this (when I finally find a car... I MUST FIND ONE!!).

I'll start a new thread about this, with a little more descriptive and get some ideas flowing. I'll post the link here after

thanks Jason, I will have to use these buying tips. I'm considering getting a LHD version if I don't find the RHD.

Carpc's allow you to bring the car up to date with the latest and greatest infotainment systems that we see in today's cars,. and then kick the crap out of what they can do (mostly).

- Music: You can put as many hard drives as your power supply can handle

- Satellite Navigation: I've got TomTom working through an emulator, as well as Destinator and iGuidance

- OBD interface for engine diagnostics. Some people take this further and connect directly to the ECU to switch profiles. It's like having a variable chip. It's not something I've done, but would like to get into it.

- Trip computer based on GPS. I've logged the very paths I've taken when on road trips. It's a nice record to have, since you can see the exact path on google eartch, and using the timestamp from a camera, you can attach the pictures to the path.

- Internet connection for:
    - - Traffic updates (AA road watch, bbc live traffic feeds)
    - - Traffic based re-routing if the s/w supports it (TomTom does)
    - - Google Maps
    - - Internet Radio Streaming (you'll need a fast 3g card for that, costly until ISP's sort their tarrifs out)
    - - Send your GPS signal to a site where (allowed) friends can track your position

- Wifi: You can leave your carpc on, then go home and update your music over the air :)

- Control devices such as steering wheel buttons, or things ilke the Space Navigator can be connected (like the BMW iDrive system).

And a lot more that I probably didn't think of!

A hello to everyone here from a new UK member. My name is Sama, and that's usually also my nick but it's discouraged here so I shall be BMPuter.

I do not currently have an E31, but I'm actively looking for a RHD 850CSi (if you know of any below 80,000 miles, please shout. The 74k one on Autotrader is now sold - I was going to see it and someone beat me to it - probably from this forum! :))

I'm an active member of the http://www.digital-car.co.uk community. And have put a car pc in my E39 535i (hence the name BMPuter), please see here and here for picies.. I intend to do the same in the E31 (when I finally find her)

Cheers!