Beiträge von Sama

sorry mate, I have to! :)

The HVAC is hiding here for now, until I steal Tony's center mount:

I've decided I'm going to remove the radio receiver (top unit), as it's the perfect place to mount the pc, and all the wires are going there, meaning I probably won't have to lay any more wires for power etc.

console's in, about 5mins ago! no pics posted yet tho :)

the obc glue is super glue on plastic, it's easy to chip it off. Also, it still fits the normal place without issues anyway.

I'm definitely going to have to do the console again. It's warped! That, or my car is warped :) It may be best if I fit it around the original console that was in there, as that's not warped for sure.

I've just ripped out the amp(s) from the back and now I'm left scratching my head. There are two units at the back. One that says Blaupunkt and has amp like connectors, but another box on top that has two different looking aerial plugs (only one pluggd in), two different looking din type connectors, with only one plugged in, 4 speaker outputs marked RH LG RV LV, a two pin connector, and a 4 big-pin connector (power).

Why on earth would there be two amps in the back, and a headunit up front?! THREE AMPS?

I'll post some pics shortly

Ok, some progress!

Using some matchsticks and superglue, I made some ridges on the OBC edge. These ridges have no load on them at all, since they're as limiters, stopping the OBC from being pushed out of the slightly larger than OBC, HVAC hole.

Good thing about superglue on plastic is that with a small hammer knock, it's all off! And good thing about matches, is that they're superstrong when they absorb the superglue. I usually use them with superglue to reinforce broken structures.

The sides of the HVAC hole are visibly bigger than the OBC and so I used some foam and again, superglued this inside the console. This works well as for blocking the light and has a good look (Tony, I've got some left :))

Since the matches do a good job of keeping the OBC from popping out, and tight from moving around in the hole, it needs to be kept from being pressed in. So I got a wire, crimped some loops on the end, and the original HVAC screws hold it in place. I know it looks flakey, but it's very storng and the OBC doesn't move at all when pressed etc.

And here's the screen, secured by twisties! Again, it looks like it's weak, but since the thing contains a wire, and it's folded behind, it's very strong. You can't even move it with your hand!

And here's what it looks like all powered

and With a reverse cam preview

Hopefully this will go in tommorow, and the pc probably next week.

HVAC is now temporarily in the upper glove box, which had to be gutted so it would fit!

hey man

The problem I can see here is the fan going back down to normal speed. If the sun has been shining for ages on the thermostat, it'll take sometime before the fan goes back down to normal, which means you'll probably have to turn it down, which brings on the next issue....

When overriding the fan setting, the difference in resistances of the fan dial and the override will probably not work well together. if you manually move the dial when the override has taken effect, you'll end up with less/more resistance for that dial reading.

it's certainly a tricky one!

from another forum. It seems this may be related to the LKM and I'd like to check it.

Anyone know where this is in the Euro spec cars? In the US cars it's under the driver side dash. I'll check when I get home, but does anyone know if it isn't?

IS DRIVING ME MADDD!!

I've changed every single bulb back there with original OEM BMW ones, cleaned the contacts, checked the wires and did a little dance...

BONG!!!

If I drive the car for a bit, without switching the headlights on, no problem. I can press the brakes, and the car does not complain.

As soon as I switch on the headlights to the first notch, I get the bong, telling me the Brake, Tail and Number Plate lights are out.

Sometimes, I can be driving, or when I put the key to the ignition position, the bong comes on, without putting the headlights on.

Once, I changed the number plate bulbs, and only the brake and tail lights came on, but soon after, the numberplate also followed.

What else can I do?

I finally started wiring this thing, after 2 months of almost 0 work as life generally got in the way.

no pictures as of yet, there's just a bunch of wires that start in the dash, and end in the boot. Here are the cables I put through:

1 x LinITX 3-in-1 VGA cable. This has inputs for the Monitor, the Touch Screen, and two video inputs (will be rear/front video cams in my case)

1 x USB cable. This will have a powered USB hub at the front, to allow lots of peripherals.

1 x Microphone cable. For handsfree and/or experiments

2 x RJ-45 network cable. This should provide ample spare wires to connect things like reset/power buttons, etc

Coming up...

- exactly what Tony is doing, extending the HVAC wires so it can be relocated

- figuring out how to tap into the existing amp, without the headunit present

- providing power to the PC (fuses etc)