Beiträge von sprucegoose

OK

This is good news. I suggest that we keep this thread alive and exchange telephone numbers just before the event. I look forward to seeing you all there.

SG

C'est de bonnes nouvelles. Je propose que nous maintenions ce fil vivant et échangions des numéros de téléphone juste avant l'événement. J'attends avec intérêt de vous voir là.

L'oie les sapins

Bonjour mes amis en France, y a-t-il des propriétaires du 8-series allant a Le Mans en Juin ? Si oui, où nous réunissons-nous ? Je viens dans mon 840Ci Sport, d'autres amis avec les Porsches, Jaguars et un ou plusieurs des Aston Martins. J'attends avec intérêt de se réunir avec quelques autres propriétaires 8-series. Nous allons arriver le jeudi et camperons dans l'emplacement bleu nord. J'espère trouver encore plus de propriétaires de 8-series, aussi. Désolé pour le Français faible !

Nice

Alx, look up at the contrails around Chamonix and if you see one doing a lazy "S" bend over Mont Blanc one day this winter that'll be another 8 owner saying hello. Nice pics. Thanks.

SG

PS: Usually I do a left-then-right sight-seeing turn....

A true comrade!

I translated as best I could, but then used Babel to check. I think the following extract from Babel is an exquisite precis of what we all feel - no language barrier here!

"Always in admiration in front of the large cars typified sport, the beautiful convertibles or large WP, I had always said myself that when I am tall I will have an exceptional car in my eyes... but for me a car it is not that means of transport, it is a pleasure...no question of taking a car similar to hundreds of others crossed about the road tous.les.jours...To summarize, a car powerful, with beautiful shaped lines, equipped well, comfortable and rare. The choice was thus finally very restricted! That which filled all my selection criteria: the bmw 850..."

United in feelings across La Manche.

Ainsi mes amis, lequel de vous va au Mans24 Heures avec votres 8-series?

SG

(Faites chaque acte de votre vie comme si il étaient votre durent.)

Cam covers first, then

8Tech, I was actually thinking along the same lines. I've got a recent BMW mag which shows how to strip down the top of the B60 (4.0) engine. They say in the article that its the same as the B62. Would anyone be able to confirm this?
    SG

Probably not much help...

Tony, sorry that wasn't an easy fix. Just another thought. My other car (E34) goes through phases when it won't supply any hot air from cold, then (after up to 20 minutes) it comes through with a vengeance - together with what my wife and I call the "curry smell". I hasten to add I've never found the reason for this. Partly this is because I found a way to get around the problem by driving the thermostatic valves to FULL HOT, at least 2 or 3 minutes before shutting down the engine for the night. It always works, but I've never got further than thinking that a sticky valve, left in the hot position, is already in the correct position when heat is called for on a cold morning.
    SG

Cheers Wayne

That dealer is looking dodgier by the day - I'm sure when I first saw the car it had some chrome ones. I'd originally thought black myself, but I just checked it out with the dealer. Seems they were NOT standard parts (!) and had to be added to the factory build order by 1997. Anyway, I've just changed my mind and ordered four chrome ones for Tuesday - just call me fickle.
    SG

I've just signed up for camping again at Le Mans next June. Some things I don't intend to take to France are my triple oil leaks. Firstly, the sump gasket: its the M62-B44 engine, not bad for its age but if I had a concrete drive, I'd be reminded of this every other day, I suspect. Secondly, the front oil seal on the factory-fitted diff clearly needs doing at some point. Finally, while I'm at it, there are the cam covers. Which of these could I contemplate doing myself, and what time and special tools would I need. Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
    SG

Having seen a few other 8s recently (thanks guys), I now realise that my car has been deprived of its "protection plate" and bodged with a couple of grommets where the nylon nuts should go. Does anyone want to offer an opinion about whether its worth changing the entire bottle assembly? It doesn't leak, nor does it seem to get too hot - I'll do it, but are there any gotchas in changing this? Ta.
    SG

maybe this will help

Tony
    I had been running my car on Auto/Auto since I bought it in June and thought I had experienced similar "problems" with the air distribution system. Then I read a manual in a file called IHKA.pdf and realised that I didn't actually understand how the auto setting works. When its in auto, if heat is called for, the hot air only goes to certain vents - conversely when cold air is called for, similarly this only goes to certain other vents. Try the left-hand button as this provides air to all vents at all times, regardless of the demanded temperature. Then you can see if you get hot air to all vents when you turn up the thermostat and cold air when you turn it down. Certainly from your second paragraph, it sounds like you might be seeing the same as I was. The manual is available on wuffer.net.
    SG

Nice...

They are beautiful. What pads are you going to fit? My throwing stars have a flat rim like your new wheels, and boy do they collect brake dust. As part of the re-furb I fitted standard OEM pads, but they are no better than the ones which we took off. Any suggestions?

We are special...

I've just picked up this thread. I've owned my 840Ci sport for the grand total of 5 months, having realised that I secretly covetted one for 12 years. After it was mine, naturally I wanted to make it perfect again, and although all my friends thought it was special at first they couldn't understand the love I felt. After I'd spent 2K putting some things right I realised that I was on a journey of my own, because no-one else would ever see the minute details that I was obsessing about. My wife is very supportive but I have realised that the rest of my world - take that as the rest of THE world - couldn't give a damn about CC66548 built in May 1997. Or indeed, any E31, for that matter. So what? I have found this community and I know that my car IS special, because it is one of a very, very small production run that cost BMW, arguably the best automobile engineering company of the late 20th century, the best part of $2 billion to produce. I am SO proud to own one of the 30,000 units that were created. At the week-end, I met some great people who share my beliefs. If it never features again in the popular car mags, never again makes an appearance on Top Gear, I don't really care. All I need to sustain me is the certain knowledge that it will become a renaissance car, all we have to do is wait, and this dream will remain alive because of people like us. Who can honestly say that those photos by Tony in the Lake District don't tug a nerve? So there's only a few of us looking at the photos today - it makes not a jot of difference to the quality of the product we all share enjoyment in. Just sharing my private thoughts with you all.

:D