Beiträge von sprucegoose

A bit more info.....

A couple of things I forgot to mention. The place to send your email with the digital photo is customer.service@bmw.co.uk. Also, I got a business card off the local service rep so that I could cc him on it. I saw this as belt and braces in that the dealer a) appreciates that you are serious; but more importantly b) must provide an accurate report as he knows that bmw service already has a picture of it in their files!

On a separate note, I think the rear screen also has a design fault on this model. Like many others I had the milky delamination and associated failure of big sections of the heated rear screen so I broke open another piggy bank to have Autoglass replace it. When I inspected the work I saw that the vertical rubber edge seal (which is not glued to the screen) only just covered the edge of the glass. In places, it was not even in contact, with a gap of 1/2mm. Autoglass had used OEM parts (I inspected them before they started work) and said they had followed the maker's installation guide. Clearly this was a capillary opportunity and for my money is what caused the initial problem. To protect the new one I had Autoglass apply additional bonding adhesive so that the exposed electrical conductor strip was totally sealed in. They were very good about it and happy to do as I asked, even though this was a non-standard procedure - the main thing is my lifetime warranty is still valid. Anyone contemplating a similar investment in rear glass might want to think about this. I can provide the branch details and fitter-supervisor's details if needed.

Now, does anyone know about changing the front aircon radiator fan? Mine has a shot bearing which is loose to the touch and rattling when spinning. Is this a DIY job?

Cheers
    SG

A month on and I have finally had the new unit installed at the local BMW dealership. This information is for any UK owners still suffering from the faded pixels problem and demonstrates that free replacements are still available if you go about it the right way.

On 10th July 2007 I contacted BMW(UK) Customer Service by telephone to enquire what their policy is regarding the known fault on the OBC display. To support my position I quoted the information contained elsewhere in this forum which states that BMWNA are replacing these units FOC on a case-by-case basis. Their response: "We are aware of the problem. We are dealing with enquiries on an individual basis. What you must do is have the vehicle inspected by your local dealership who will then contact us. We will then provide appropriate assistance."

It is important to make this initial contact directly with BMW because you will need to be able to quote what they say to you when you subsequently visit your dealer. This is because the dealer will probably claim that there are no recalls on your vehicle, that no information has been circulated to the dealer network plus you might get a gratuitous comment like, "well I've been working on these cars for 15 years and I've never heard of such a problem." Stand your ground and respectfully say that you've heard of one being replaced recently free of charge, that the dealership in question was able to bill 40 minutes labour for the job but that BMW(UK) paid for the part. Ask for a "goodwill report" to be prepared by the dealership and say that you will let them do the work if the request is successful.

You'll have to play ball with the dealer on the issue of labour, because frankly, they have you over a barrel: there's simply no other way that BMW will pay, unless the part is fitted by an accredited dealership. Having persuaded the dealer to do the report, go back home and email a digital photograph of your failed unit, together with a respectfully-phrased letter asking for the part to replaced FOC on the basis of precedent in the USA and, more recently, in the UK. Don't over-egg the pudding but include all the relevant information such as its known to be a manufacturing problem, etc, etc.

Yes, I've just paid out £80 in labour for a job which I could have done myself in 10 minutes, but I don't really care. I've got a brand-spanking new display which retails for £300 including tax. I was never asked to state how long I'd had the car, nor how many previous owners it'd had. In fact it's a '97 and there have been 3 owners before me. So there you go guys, it can be done.

SG

Not the ECU...

Hi Tony
    Thanks a lot for the last information you posted. I found the ECU yesterday evening, just as you described. Everything down there was drizabone, the pins were all straight, and all in mint condition, looks as though its never been off.
    With the plug disconnected I turned on the ignition to see both lights illuminated. With the ignition still on I re-fitted the plug (quite a fiddle due to the angle....), and immediately both lights went out. From this test I have concluded that it has to be the sensors. Its just remotely possible that the plug has an intermittent bad contact, but I think that I shall now get the dealer to do the sensors as its still under warranty.
    Ironically, she's having a good spell at the moment and the lights are off!
    Thanks again.
    SG

How are you getting on a month later

TT
    I have this problem and its just as you describe, on for one journey, off for the next, on for a day, off for a week, back on again.....its definitely getting more frequent. So, how are yours at this time? I'm pretty confident the appearance of both ABS and ASC lights is due to the sensors as the repair manual states that the ASC utilises the ABS sensors - so there's the commonality. When cleaning them, did you notice any aspect of their appearance to suggest wear and tear taking place - i.e. is it worth looking at replacements instead?
    SG

Light Unit

List price for the whole thing is 130.22 + VAT so a big ouch on that!

Paul_M.
    I think the best thing to do is for me to attempt the separation on the one I have taken off. That way, no tears if it goes wrong. Which lens is it you need, sidelight or driving light? Let me know and I'll photo it before you decide whether or not you want it.

RHS Light cluster

Paul, and anyone else interested. I went to the local dealer and amazingly they had the RHS unit in stock so in a moment of madness I decided to buy it. I have kept the old one in case anyone wants it. It isn't perfect, in that the driving light reflector is shrivelled at the bottom and the top screw bracket has broken off. However, the other parts are good, so it could be scavenged, eg for lenses.

Does anyone in the UK have a good right hand side lamp cluster for sale? (The one housing the driving light, sidelight and indicator). Mine is serviceable but the driving light reflector is a mess. If available separately, I'd be happy with just the reflector but would prefer the whole unit.

Waiting for BMW UK...

I've now been to the local dealer for the inspection and the goodwill request has been submitted to BMW. Will post the outcome in due course. In the meantime, as a possible fallback, I've found clusterrepairsuk.co.uk in Norfolk who say they'll do it for £80 with a three year warranty. Has anyone used this company?
    SG

Response From BMW (UK)

Hello everyone. I just joined the club with a '97 4.4 Ci Sport which naturally enough suffers from the sick pixel syndrome in the MID. Seeing what BMWNA are doing prompted me to ring BMW customer services in the UK (01344 426565 0r 01256 747010 if you don't do 0870). Here's what they said:
    "We know about the problem and are dealing with it on a customer by customer basis. Go into your local dealership and have them examine the car. Through the dealer we will then provide you some help with this."
    Er, does that mean financial help, like a discount?
    "Yes"
    Has anyone else done this, yet?
    BTW, the part number for the unit is 62136914683 and the UK retail price as of today's date is £255.32 plus VAT.