Beiträge von alant

Interestingly enough the other red 6 speed 840 ci Sport is also for sale at the moment.... It is an M60 4.0 same colour but with red and black interior including red leather headlining. It is truly an immaculate low mileage car.

If anyone is interested the NZ $ is about .435 against the Euro and .375 against the pound at the moment so this car would cost 21,750 Euro or 18,750 pounds as a comparison. That may seem expensive but mint and one of three 4.4 6 speeds in existance.... What price that ????

Add these two to the 20,000 Kilometer 850 CSI on the market here also these are some unusual and mint 8's here for the taking....

There is a set of these for sale locally at the moment.... I have 17" Alpina's on our car and have always thought the 18's would look better..... filling out the wheel arch in the front in particular.

Does anyone have any experience of the 20" softline versions on an 8?

The front's are 8.5", the rear 10", They have been on a 750 and I am not sure of the offset but at about 600 pounds or $ 930 US they seem like a good deal.

Thanks for your advice

Alan

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;54146

My 8 has been remapped by Gerry @ Phoenix, but apart from that its stock (engine wise anyway :grin2:).

Hi Wayne,

I printed your chart as a comparison as I am about to have my identical car remapped. Stock except for 3.64 LSD and cats removed.... I was interested in other changes you might have made that would effect output. Do you have a modified exhaust system?

Regards

Alan

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;53399

Sorry I cant be of much help of where to buy one from apart from the dealer but I've noticed in the past that mine are secured by two holding straps on each side, part number 51111973721

Here is a pic to show what I mean.

Thanks Wayne,

I have ordered the piece from Gault's in New York this morning, even with postage from the US it is better than buying locally where it would be ex Germany anyway.... I have also ordered the tethers and new clips here so it won't happen again but it is still an expensive exercise by the time it is bought, painted etc. for something that a 50c cable tie would have saved..... I suggest others check the tethers are in place to avoid my problem.

The response from Charlie at Gault was excellent and combined with other comments I have seen I will certainly use them again, very friendly, efficient and competitive.

Alan

Last week the left hand towing eye cover flew off our 840 Sport (csi body). I knew it was not a good fit but did not notice the tether had gone.... Result? a gappy front.

These are a silly price in Euro's but a lot cheaper out of the US in US dollars it seems... The view number of the parts list is 06.

COVERING LEFTM TECHNIC151112253001

If anyone can advise where to buy this from I would appreciate it.

Regards

Alan

Zitat von Alan

have you got a pic of the wolfrace wheels as I've searched Wolfrace wheels but can't seem to find anything which comes near to them.

The wheels are in storage some miles away, I will try and get over this week with the camera. They do not have the wide polished rim of the ones in your photo on the E31 but the spoke design and centre cap are very similar from memory.

Cheers

Zitat von Job38;53057

Buying and enjoying an E34 B10 for less than a set of alloys......

I can vouch for the E34 B10, I have had mine for 12 years, it is a great car even at 207,000 miles and I would not part with it.

I found a spare set of Alpina's on the local version of EBay, I bought them to refurbish as a spare set for the B10 but then bought the 840 ci Sport. Decided I liked it better on the Alpina's so fitted them only to find they had come off an E39 so needed hub rings.

I see though that you were looking for 18" wheels...... remember that the E34's are 17", any 18's you find will almost certainly be E39 or later and will need the hub rings.

Good luck.

Tony, your byline says "You came in that thing? Your braver than I thought".

Should that read "You came ON that thing?............."

Cheers:laugh:

There is a silver 850 csi being prepared for sale in Auckland, New Zealand that would be a rare bird anywhere outside of Brunei. It has done 20,000 Kilometers from new, (12,350 miles for the Imperial folk).

It is like NEW, it even smells like a new car inside.

There is some conjecture about what the asking price will be but best guess is about 29,000 Sterling or US $55,000.

Fabulous car but I like driving mine and that would destroy the unique condition of this one along with the value.

No doubt it will wind up in a collection somewhere.:hmmmm:

Zitat von sparklesmcgraw;52439

Thanks guys

One more for good measure,

Looks great.... Is the colour the Individual Atlantis Metallic? If so it is a twin for my car, 35 painted that colour in total so 33 more to go.

Regards

Alan

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;51271

Over the past couple of months my car has under gone a total transformation,

I have just finished most of a similar task on our M62 1998 840 ci Sport. We did the bushes a few weeks ago but used the 7 Series ones. Last weekend the rear subframe was dropped out, rust killed where it needed to be and painted with POR-15. At the same time we dealt to some very small patches of surface corrosion on the underside. But the most importand part of the exercise was to replace the diff, (Marked 2.81 on the tag that surprised me, I thought they were 2.91), with an ex M5 3.64 with LSD. Also the rear shocks were repalced with a pair of Bilsteins with a Sport setting along with a pair of Gerry's reinforcement plates. At the front we installed Gerry's camber plates and a pair of Bilsteins. Wheel alignment was done today with a new pair of tie rods. There is no doubt the suspension mods transform the handling, the tyres are more of a limitation now... The diff makes a huge difference and although I have not had a chance at a long run yet all the signs are there.

Last on the list is a dyno visit primarilly to remap and get as smooth as possible torque curve and also set the lean burn back in to the normal cruising RPM range as of course the car now revs about 4 - 500 rpm higher at 100 KPH.

Somebody once said on this site the 8 was a "lazy" driver, I can assure you the above makes it a much sharper driver.

Zitat von TallTony;51238

Alant, I've all that in mine (except my LSD is 3.91) and I can assure you that you'll notice a marked improvement - assuming you like quicker accel, harder suspension and sharper cornering :)

The rear tower reinforcements should only save you from a big :cry: but better with especially since you are fitting the new shocks.

:rofl:I suspect that :paul: will have something to say on this.......

Thanks Tony, The joke in the auto/manual "thing" going on is that I have a manual 3.0 csi and a genuine E21 Factory 320 Alpina, 5 speed close ratio "dogleg" Gertrag box, 40% LSD, track type settings on shocks and springs and all the rest.... (even a pair of 45 Weber's but lets not start an injection/carb discussion).

All this and I was born in the first half of the last century....
    Ahhh the young, so lacking in understanding about anyone over 30 .

Zitat von Paul_M;50983

most auto drivers are grandads, and those who aren't tend to drive like they are anyway :laugh:

Yea, right! as we say in this part of the world, like Lewis Hamilton, Massa, et all... I would run a modern auto against a manual any day.

(Saves us old fellows bunny hopping away from the lights apart from anything else).

Zitat von TallTony;42538

, and you have that stubby stick thingy which you need to use by hand ALL the time :lol:

I could never understand why there are people who insist three pedals are better than two when the only person I know of with three legs is Rolf (Jake) Harris. It must cause them to lie awake at night wondering why their motoring god has deserted them after watching F1 or any other serious motorsport as they shift in milliseconds. The overdeveloped left thigh causing them to walk in circles must also be embarrassing at times.

Anyway my 840 ci Sport 4.4 gets a 3.64 LSD this weekend along with a new set of Bilsteins, rear turret reinforcing plates and camber plates.

All as a result of the good feedback on these pages.

Thanks all, (I just hope the thanks is not premature)

The last time I was up at JAYMIC in Cromer they had an E9 3.0 csl that they had converted to LPG for a South American owner that used to come over and use it to tour in Europe. I believe they have significant experience with LPG and of course BMW's. I suggest you talk to them.

My own experience here with LPG was pretty good running it in a Toyota mini coach. The drawbacks? The size of the tank if you don't want to remove the petrol option, the more limited availablility and most importantly the reduced range between fills.

You can buy a lot of petrol for 1,800 and personally I would not do an 8.

Spoiler...

Yes, I have made up my mind and just got the car back from paint after having the holes in the trunk lid filled and painted.

No problem in selling the spoiler. I suggest you contact me PM as I will be in the US in January and may work something out to get it to you.

Alan

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;50840

Very well said, I wouldn't like to tot up how much this site has saved me in simple fixes, just like the one you mention.

I agree, being a bit out of the mainstream I have found the site very helpful, especially when it comes to thoughts of modifications..... As a result of what I have read on these pages I am about to change the diff to a 3.64 with LSD, and while fitting a new set of Bilstien's also fit the rear reinforcing plates and front camber plates, all as a result of the experiences of others I would not have be aware of without this site.

Well done all the contributors.

Alan

Zitat von panteradave

Hmmm. Maybe I just didn't know how to unlock the truck with the key. I inserted the key and tried turning it but as I remember it only turned a slight amount and never released the lock. I'll try pushing the key up after turning it (home in 2 weeks).

Thanks again.

The key entry under the lip is also a mechanical release for the boot (trunk) lid. As suggested depress the face of the key entry and a mechanical pall releases the lock. When you get it open have a look to the left of electrical activator, you will see the lever attached to the mechanical key assembly that releases it manually.

From memory (and I could be wrong as senior moments come in to play), if the car is unlocked you can just push the key entry button up to release the lock without the key in it.

Good luck

Alan

Re: E31 lazing

Zitat von sandwich

Just liked the colour!

So what is the colour? It looks lighter than your gallery pics.