Beiträge von Wildatheart

I had mine retrofitted with the help from PaulM. The trickiest part is finding a connector in the driver's footwell - it's buried somewhere deep under the carpet. Beyond that, it's straightforward/plug & play/2 hrs work. It doesn't need calibrating.

I do a lot of motorway driving, and together with an accurate speed readout on satnav, I find it invaluable to get through average speed traps at the most 'efficient' speed possible... and on clear motorways I can set it to just under 'we'll take your license now'. If you don't do a lot of M-way driving, I wouldn't bother.

Zitat von BBMatic;105798

EDIT TO ADD: I have asked vendor if he'll consider a one-off delivery to the UK - in case anyone else thinking about it?

I'm in -are you happy to handle this? Let me know if/when you'd like me to Paypal you.

Here it is, my '85 Turbo Esprit. It was a spur of the moment purchase, in that I had for quite some time been looking for a later model Esprit; I considered buying a -more expensive- 350 Sport but decided that it actually rather looked like my 8; especially as they only come in silver. This one jumped out for its originality (47k miles) and I realised I prefer the earlier shape. I did have some concerns that my purchase was a belated result of my youthful infatuation with Sheena Easton, or that perhaps I should start to consider cars without pop up headlights, but these were quickly laid to rest by the driving experience. I had never owned a lightweight car before -and you have to say that Chapman was on to something. Acceleration is great considering its age; 0-60 6.4 secs despite its lack of cylinders. There is a lovely shove when the turbo kicks in (though the Esprit is generally lauded for its lack of turbo lag) and its great to hear it vent its anger behind your ear.

One thing that has surprised me is its reliability; it starts first time every time, even after having not been used for months. I drove it 400 miles the other day and it was flawless. Although, half way through the journey I began to long for the physical comfort of the 8, not least as at 6'4 I can only drive the sunroof Esprit due to inch of extra headroom it provides. But for shorter journeys, on an A-road, it's a lovely drive. And it doesn't even leak, though I haven't tried it under water.

Since these pictures were taken I have changed the steering wheel for a period Momo three-spoke; the original wheel looked a little too 'British Leyland' to me.

Many thanks for all the good advice gents - @gerry it's an insurance job so I have to go through the Autoglass motions. I have to say I have had good experiences with them on two previous occasions, but I'll be watching out for any signs of puberty!

I'm having my rear window replaced by Autoglass at the end of the week. I'll be watching for paint damage, but should I order a new surround rubber? Or do these usually come off ok to be re-used?

Yes I think we have a winner - it looks very much like, possibly exactly like, the Nokia antenna; many thanks. Much as I had hoped it would be a deadly anti-theft device or invisibility cloak, I think I'll get the shears ready...

My tax disc holder has an electric cable attached to it that disappears behind the dash -I'm guessing this is some after-market thing and not BMW? Would it be connected to the alarm (why)? I'd like to lose it if it's not a standard item, so do we reckon I can just close my eyes and snip it off..?

Zitat von nivonco;103386

What did the paint job cost and where?

Around £3k, which included some quite involved rust removal around the corners of the rear arches, by a bodyshop just outside Edinburgh. The same guy did a superb job on my Capri last year. Pm me if you want his details.