Beiträge von martincrouch

Hello Timm

Thank you for your help and advice. In the end I managed to source two standard shock absorbers from Germany and the car is now back on the road minus EDC but with a 2 year Controle Technique certificate.

If I may I have another couple of questions for you:

I am thinking of trying to sell my car (which is in very good condition given is age (21) and 87,000 miles) There is however a long standing problem with the rear steering. This mechanism failed about 6 years ago but the garage said that it would be very expensive to repair and the fact that it no longer worked was no real problem for the car as the wheels had been set to straight before the system failed. The only problem is that a warning appears on the computer each time the car is started (rear axle failure) and there a warning light in the dashboard.
    Do you know if its possible to have the warning system de activated as it does not give a good impression to someone driving the car for the first time.

Lastly do you by any chance know where the best place would be to try and sell this vehicle. In some ways I will be sad to part with it as Ive owned it for the last 12 years but I think it needs an owner who has more mechanical skills that me to take it on and to enjoy the old lady.

Cheers Martin

I have a UK registered 1994 850 CI Auto which has very recently failed its controle technique (French equivalent of MOT) due to a problem with the near side shock absorber unit. Its not balanced with the offside unit. The vehicle is in France and now on French plates and has electronic suspension with comfort and sports settings available from within the car.

The French garage is not being very helpful with any possible repairs saying the parts are not available. I have tried to research what parts might be necessary but I'm not technically qualified to sort this out. Could anyone help me in pointing me in the right direction regarding what replacement part might be required or possibly offer any suggestions as to what I might me able to do to resolve my difficulties

Many thanks

Martin CROUCH

I have a beautiful burgundy red 850 CI (L602 MBW) which I have decided to sell for no other reason that I now find it too difficult to get in and out of due to my advancing years.

The car has covered only 80,000 miles since new and has a full service history. It has had 3 owners from new including myself and is currently garaged. It has special alloy wheels which are very smart.

The car is on UK plates although I use it when I am in my home in France (where it is kept for most of the time) To comply with French rules the car has been fitted with LHD lights (although I have the original UK ones as well) and it has a control technique certificate which is the equivalent of a UK MOT and which runs until April 2011.

There are a couple of minor faults with dodgy sensors but the warnings are intermittent and do not affect the drivability of the car

If anyone is interested I may be able to find some pictures of the vehicle but it is immaculate both inside and out.

I am looking for around £6000 for the vehicle

If you would like to discuss the vehicle you can contact me on 0044 (0)1202 762 577

Cheers

Martin Crouch

Thank you that is most helpful. It does appear that the people at BMW France simply dont know what they are talking about and are asking for things which simply do not exist on cars such as mine.
    Regards

Martin

I have UK registered 850CI which I would like to convert to French plates as I will be living in France in the near future and wish to take the car with me.
    Amongst all the bits of paperwork that is required is a certificate of conformity from BMW in France. No problem, they will supply one but they are insisting on 2 pieces of information which I dont have and which I dont think were ever on the car.
    The first one is 'the plaque constructeur' which looks like a manufacturers plate showing various bits of information. There is certainly no such plate in the car or under the bonnet (unless its hidden somewhere) and I wondered if anyone else had such a plate, just in case mine has been removed or fallen off at sometime.
    The other thing that BMW want is the 'numero de coque' which I think transaltes as the body shell number. BMW have the chassis number but this is no good!. The number is apparantly 8 digits but I cant find a number which resembles this anywhere on the body / engine compartment. Again had anyone any idea where I might find this ellusive number.
    Thanks
    Martin:roll:

Sorry if this post is repeated but can anyone help me with a problem with my alarm.
    I had to leave the car (850 CI) for a couple of months and when I got back both batteries were flat. I have recharged them off the car but when they are replaced the alarm goes off. I have a 2 button key and I have tried to re-link the key to the alarm but have failed so far. The key is transmitting but will not operate the central locking so I'm not really sure how to re-link the key to the alarm (if thats the problem)

Can anyone help please?

I have had to leave my 850 CI for a few months and both the batteries were completely flat upon my return. I have recharged them (off the car) but when I try to reconnect them to the car the alarm goes off.

The central locking is also not working so I cant lock / unlock the car and then re link the key to the alarm.

Ha anyone experienced these problems and does any one have any suggestions?

It is a factory alarm but I will have another go with the key in the ignition and will also try the spare key fob in case the ususal one has gone wrong for some reason. Thanks

I have an 850 CI which I have had to leave for several months whilst I went to the UK; upon my return both batteries were completely flat. My initial attempts to recharge them (using the special port under the bonnet) proved fruitless since as soon as there was any power into the system the alarm/ horn went off.

I then disconnected the batteries and have fully recharged them outside the car. When they are reconnected the alarm / horn goes off when the final 2 small wires are connected on the right hand battery. I cannot turn the alarm off with the key fob even though the fob is transmitting.

Does the car have to re-set in some other way when the batteries are disconnected or is there something which I am doing incorrectly

Martin Crouch

The computer on my 850CI has just come up with the warning 'rear axel failsafe program' and there is a small H shape like symbol come up on the dashboard.

Does anyone know what this means and how to fix the problem. The car seems to be driving OK at the moment.