Beiträge von argonaut

Zitat von BBMatic;114149

I'd hate to face the agonising choice between a 2CV and an 8 Series, I really would. Must have been touch and go..

I have a really nice Daf 55 ...we could think about a p/ex, with some money coming my way?

Daf hey? They're getting rare nowadays. My old man had a Volvo 66 (I think) which was really a Daf with a Volvo badge stuck on it - it was good, the infinitely variable gearbox was cool and went like a scolded whippet. I liked that car. I think the choice between the 8 and a 2CV is a weird one, I can see the attraction of the 2CV but no, just no.

Zitat von reinhard;114079

They will only be your favourites until that day when it comes to cleaning... :roll:
    Those are the worst possible rims - ever :laugh:
    Prices for cross spoke 17´s have been on the rise up to 1k EUR per set of 4 and the condition of many/most is no longer really appealing to the eye since the bolts themselves do not age well with chrome flaking off. Refurbishing is possible but with a single bolt around 2 EUR and IIRC 34 per wheel it is a fairly expensive exercise.
    Would rather buy parallel spoke 37´s - new set around 1500 EUR still available ex-BMW

Cheers
    Reinhard

He he, I have to agree with you there Reinhard, they would be a real PITA to clean. My car came to me with BBS RSII fitted which I really like but even they are a bit of a pain to keep clean. The spare wheel in my car is a styling 8 16", I suspect my car came with those originally.

Well, as the title suggests, I'm looking for some suggestions.
    Currently we're living near Hastings on the South East coast and I work part time in London meaning a commute of almost 2 hours at an annual cost of just over £4,500. My wife has just started working full time in Bristol and we're now looking for options.
    If we all move to Bristol and I then commute to London from there, the journey time is about the same but the rail cost jumps to just over £11,000 which would mean that my part time job wouldn't be worth doing as my net salary would pretty much all go on the rail fare.
    We're thinking about moving somewhere mid way-ish between London and Bristol so that both of us would have a reasonable and affordable commute (ideally a direct commute with no changes needed).
    We're looking for somewhere nice, with good schools and with rental prices at a decent level (budget would be about £1000pcm for a min 3 bed family house).

Does anyone have any good suggestions?
    Thanks for the help!

On the question of insurance, how many of the above quotes recently posted are on the basis of the 8 being a second vehicle and how many with the 8 as the sole car in the household? I was with Hagerty with the 8 as my second vehicle for a premium of £330 fully comp. Now though the 8 is currently my sole car (having got rid of the thirsty unreliable Range Rover P38) and I'm looking for a replacement insurance - Hagerty told me last year they wouldn't do it on the basis of sole vehicle. Cheers.

Vor lange lange Zeit, mal war ich auf dem Weg irgendwohin per Daum-Express. Einer hat mit mich mitgenommen in ein damals nagel-neue M635CSi - ein Raumschiff im vergleich zu das womit ich normalerweiser unterwegs war. Der BMW war ein wunderschoenes Ding! Schoene Bilder, vielen Dank!

With front suspension parts it's not a good idea to save money on cheaper parts. I would go for Lemforder or Meyle - Meyle offer a "Heavy Duty" option which is substantially stronger than the standard. I believe Lemforder is OEM supplier.

Zitat von reinhard;110493

@Burn
    the diff in the M62 is 2.81 ex factory so a minuscule effect ought to be seen if going up to 2.93. The output flanges need to be swapped in from yours (M62 - hole diam. 94mm, M73 - 102mm).

Last I heard Jason is living in the same UK you live in :roll: :harhar:

Cheers
    Reinhard

Just to add to this that the big case I have available is likely not from an M73 - I don't actually know what it came from but I originally bought it from Randy Craddick in the USA. I will have a look at it this weekend when I'm up in Norfolk and can get my hands on it, I'll check for part numbers, identifiers etc and then perhaps we can better identify what it's from. My point being that the flange swap might not be needed.

Zitat von BBMatic;110496

Noooooo ... never apologise Reinhard!
    That wasn't my intention.

Just wondering, if anyone knows...is it workable, using Argonaut's big case and LSD unit, but finding a 3.15 and using that with his LSD?
    Or, is his LSD and the 2.93 parts wedded together, as it were?

Hi Mate, sorry, I haven't been online much today so only just read this. The 2.93 is not wedded to the LSD - in fact at present it's not even fitted. I bought the complete unit from a chap in the USA and then had the bits dismantled and used only the 3.15 CWP set - that's why I still have the LSD, the case and the 2.93 available - I fitted the 3.15 into my original case and used a Quaife ATB instead of the LSD (I still had enough money to spend on such things back then).
    So, to answer your questions as best I can, AFAIK, you can use the case with any crown wheel and pinion set designed to be housed in the big case. I have no problem in letting you have the LSD and the case if that's all you need, however, as Reinhard pointed out, even if you only went "up" to 2.93 you would notice the difference. Remember I went from 2.93 to 3.15 and noticed a big difference for only a small ratio increase. I' now living in Hastings but the bits are in Norfolk - no problem to get them to you in London though.

Let me know what you think.

@All readers: please chime in and correct/advise ref what CWP sets can be fitted in the long case so that Bern is better advised, thanks!

I've been keeping a very low profile of late and I've been keeping my fingers crossed for all it's worth.
    Anyway, the good news is that I've managed to find a job, only part time and the money definitely isn't great but it's a start and with luck, I'll be able to hang on to my 8! Fingers crossed guys!

Cheers

With my M73 I went from 2.93 (stock) to a 3.15 diff and the difference was just right, car is much livelier and a lot more fun. I was going for the LSD option but I bought a Quaife ATB in the end.

If anyone's interested, I still have the LSD unit and the correct long diff case plus my original 2.93 Crown Wheel and Pinion set available (or you could fit whatever you want in the case, the unit is currently disassembled)- let me know if you're interested and I can sort out a price.
    Cheers

Hi Terje, it seems that the prices in Norway are still high but then again, cars are expensive in Scandinavia, I remember when I lived in Sweden that cars were expensive.
    I haven't yet set a sale price for my car but I thinking of it being around €15,000 to $20,000 - that would still make it pretty cheap in Norway I think.
    It's a Swiss specification car which as far as I know is the same as Germany. It does not currently have daytime running lights fitted but that's an easy job and I have the kit to do that if needed.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Jason

It's with much regret that I reach the decision that I'm forced to sell my 8.

As some of you know, I moved back to the UK after living abroad for over 19 years and so far, after 6 months of trying I have not yet found a new job. And so, since the government hand outs are not all that generous I need to raise some cash.

I will be putting together a proper sales description for my car, the short details are that it's a 1997 M73 (so Left Hand Drive) with several additions, cosmetic and performance related improvements. These include steel Alpina style bonnet (made by Thomas Engl), stainless "Hammann" style exhaust (also made by Thomas Engl), Billstein B6 shock absorbers and Eibach Pro springs, (fitted a couple of years ago by Gerry at Phoenix). Phoenix drilled brake discs, Phoenix braided brake hoses, Becker Indianapolis CD Nav fitted, new front and rear screens, the dreaded roof line rust has been professionally and excellently sorted by Gerry, Racing Dynamics front spoiler and rear diffusor, newly refurbished BBS RSII alloy wheels, 18" with brand new Vredestein Sessanta tyres (275 rear, 245 front). wheels factory refurbished by BBS and as new condition with new centre caps.
    Wooden trim interior in "Eibe", CSi style door cards (original factory fitted). It's a BMW "Individual" car which is why it has the wood trim and the CSi door cards.
    Engine management system has been treated to the Olaf (Firebird) rechipping, car is derestricted as a result of this and the gearbox management has also been reprogrammed to take full advantage of the engine management mods.
    Quaife ATB fitted with a 3.15:1 ratio diff giving far better off the line performance without sacrificing top end cruising ability.

I will be giving the car a full makeover to get it into it's proper glory - not that there's anything wrong with it but it needs a good clean.
    Watch this space for proper sales information soon.

All the best,
    Jason