Beiträge von argonaut

Zitat von nathan8

Why not make a fake certificate?

Send me a scan of the original 850i certificate and I'll add an C for you.

TA

It did cross my mind....

not quite as easy as that, you also need all the relevant EV numbers whatever TF they might be - I was back at test centre this morning - looks like they going to be a right royal PITA about this - I asked what happens if Remus don't deliver the proper certificate and the answer was "you'll have to remove the exhausts and fit standard or approved ones" - what a bunch of *%/&s. The exhaust is brand new, it's not loud, it doesn't leak and if I had an 850i it would be absolutely fine.
    As you can imagine, I'm pretty pissed off right now

Re: rims

Zitat von michel nydegger

Hi Argonaut.
    If you have any problem to pass the Strassenverkehrsamt test with you rims, I have 4 nice BMW rims with tires in my garage. They have been sitting in my garage since I put some 19" rims on my 850, 4 years ago. I have the paper work with it for the MOT because they are not the orgiginal rims but optional rims made by BMW. They look brand new and I would let the whole set with tires go for 1000 swiss francs. Let me know if you are interested. I live in Payerne Switzerland if you want to take a look at tem. (Tires are worn about 30 %).

Hi Michel, thanks for the offer, it depends a bit on how I get on with the STVA - I really like the rims that are on the car now, BBS RS and I've just had brand new Bridgestone RE050A Potenza's fitted (cost me CHF 1200).

What are your 19" rims and ....how did you get them through the STVA? :lol:

Thanks

Zitat von stevep840

Nearly 3 years in Nordwalde nr Munster, Nord rhein Westfarland.

Oh for a Holzfeller schnitzel now :D

Sympathise with you mate, I lived in Hamburg for two and a half years and then in Cologne (Kolle) for 9 years or so.
    En Kölsch mit Bratwurst would be good right now :)

Zitat von stevep840

jason

A few weeks ago we read in the press that BBs had filed for Bankruptcy :? You may want to check this out.

I read something about that too but there doesn't seem to be much more news on the subject. There's no clue (that I found) on their website though.

PS where in Germany were you?

They're clever chaps these Swiss you know. They have a test rig that you drive onto that then proceeds to bounce the wheels up and down and measures how well the shocks absorb the energy input. To calculate the difference is then simple maths.

I've written to Remus and to BBS to ask for their help with the paperwork. Remus replied with a particularly useless answer "we only make an exhaust for the 850i". Well since my car is a 850Ci and it has a Remus exhaust on it then I guess the only one Remus make just also happens to fit the 850 Ci - naturally. I've asked them to now confirm that the one they make for the 850i can also be used for the 850ci - my own fault really, I lived for almost 12 years in Germany and learnt long ago that you have to ask very straight forward questions if you expect to get a useful answer (a British friend in Hamburg once asked an office person "is there any more paper for the fax machine?" and was given the answer "yes" but no further information was volunteered such as where the paper might be found)

So far, not a peep out of BBS - from what I've read on this forum it could that they simply won't bother to reply...

Does anyone out there have any experience with dealing with the Swiss STVA Gesta... oops, shouldn't say that :oops: Any tips?

Cheers TerryY, sounds as though the rear shocks will be a nice gentle baptism into doing the work on my 8 for me. One question if you don't mind: the manual I'm looking at is a bit confusing but if I'm reading it right you don't need to compress the springs to remove and refit the schocks - correct?
    Thanks

well, I collected my 8 on Monday, had the new tyres fitted Monday afternoon and spent a bit of time yesterday checking stuff on the car, swapped a knackered bulb or two and filled up the washer tanks etc. Took the car to the "Strassenverkehrsamt" = Road Traffic Authority = MOT Test to you chief. To begin with everything went really well, the tester is niceish sort of bloke and he seemed actually interested in the car. He climbed around underneath, shone his torch all over the place and seemed happy enough. Brakes tested out very good - I wasn't too certain about them myself, they do need a fairly hefty shove before they bite but they do stop well enough. Steering all OK, no wobbly joints or split gaiters or such.

Problem was with the rear shocks - LH (drivers side for me) F&R both OK, RH side, F OK but the rear was down on efficiency pretty badly and the difference across the back axle is 35% - here you're allowed up to a max of 30% difference across one axle. So, one - no make that two new shocks needed as there's no point in swapping just the one.

Other problems - the headlights are a different colour - height adjustment and alignment is fine but the previous owner (henceforth known as "prat") put different bulbs in each side and they're clearly a different colour. I should have spotted that one myself.

One other problem is that my "niceish bloke tester" turns out to be a little analy retentive when it comes to paperwork. My 8 has Remus exhausts and BBS 8 x 17 wheels. Over here, if you fit something to a car that it didn't have when it left the factory you need a "bewilligung" / permission from the MOT people. I have one for the Remus exhausts, a paper that lists out all the cars that can use Remus exhausts and yes, the list includes 850i - there's the problem, my car is an 850 Ci. So for the want of a "C" I have to get another document from Remus.
    Same BS for the BBS wheels - not listed. Tester reckons this is not a problem as he's sure I can get a document from BBS - my comment would be "well if you're so sure WTF do I need to get the */&%ing paper for?"

Ah well, could have been a lot worse I suppose, two shocks and two bits of pare isn't all that bad and it's good to know that otherwise the car is in quote "really good condition Sir" unquote.

How much of a PITA job is swapping rear shockers?

Sorry for the length of this post, turned out to be a bit of a rant but I feel better now :?

Thanks Arnie, I'll have a go at removing the radio and look for the serial number - that's if I can work out how to remove the radio - still finding my way around the car at the moment having only collected it yesterday.
    Thanks for the Becker link - I was thinking of buying the Indianapolis but then spotted the Cascade at the weekend, they go for around CHF 1600 here in Zürich - I might need to save some pennies first, depends on how I get on at the Vehicle Test this afternoon - finders crossed please!

Morning all, I collected my 8 yesterday :lol::lol:
    First driving experience was great, I was really surprised at how docile this beast seems - you can pootle about and think "well this isn't so special" but hit the loud peddle and watch out for the acceleration! Great fun. Just for a laugh I sat the traffic lights next to a Mercedes 600 coupe - the guy had been craning his neck to see what it was coming up behind him and then I sat next to him at the lights - I couldn't resist trying something...switched the steptronic to "sport" and buried the throttle when the lights changed - ASC light flickered a few times but this baby just hoisted it skirts and when for it - fantastic feeling!

One thing needed to sort out (apart from the new footwear I bought and two new BMW batteries as well :cry: ) - the radio wants the code. I called at the BMW dealer and using the VIN number he managed to find the code - great, only problem is it's not the correct code. AT some point in its life the car has had a radio swap. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can get hold of the correct code? Any tricks I can try?
    Thanks

BTW, the batteries at the supermarket (Varta) cost CHF 248 each and at the BMW dealer they first quoted me CHF 89 each. When I asked the chap "are you sure about that?" he double checked and then apologised, "no, they're CHF 165 each" - I immediately bought two for that price, genuine BMW for a lot less than supermarket price - I reckon the dealer still quoted me the wrong price but I'm not complaining!

Update - pulled the radio out, code was written on the back of it, entered code, works fine :o

Al - help !!!

Sorry mate but I've hit nothing but problems so far - first off, I'm using Opera browser which doesn't have the right mouse click "select all" function - tried getting round that by downloading and installing Mozilla. Now my system doesn't seem to have wrodpad - I've searched everywhere but can't find it. I tried doing this at work today using IE 6 - fine but copy into wordpad doesn't work - blocked by the company's firewall according to the help desk.
    I sthere any way I use other systems such as copying into word doc?

Sorry for being pathetic but I'm stumped at present.
    Cheers,
    Jason

Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

I think we need to do this sooner rather than later as I think the site was offline earlier :?

I think you're right Wayne, I checked just before leaving work around 4pm UK time yesterday and all I got was the infamous "Error 404 File not found" message - I wondered if the webhosts had pulled the plug... :cry:

Zitat von peter1980

Here in Holland I already pay 910 euro's per year on road tax. Either the system over here differs form yours or you got some climing in price to go.

Yikes! That's really expensive! (it still wouldn't stop me driving the 8 though) :lol:

Re: Are we even part of the same club?

Al - in hindsight I think I definitely owe you an apology - instead of writing to the French side I should have contacted you directly re the "scam" warning there. I don't understand how the idea that it's a scam came about as I've been following the various threads on the main (well, English speaking) bit of the forum and it seems that everyone who's bought one of the kits is very satisfied. That's why I wrote to Fabrice to ask "what's the story" I've been thinking about buying a kit from you too, I've been holding back because for a time it looked as though we'd be moving back to Germany (the kits are not allowed there, I checked with the TüV and retro-fitting is not allowed) whereas if we end up staying here in Switzerland I'd have no problem - the regs here are the same as the UK, wash kit and self levelling and thus no problem.
    I'm truly sorry for the way you've been "bad mouthed" on the French side of the forum and apologise for not having contacted you directly.

Once the future's clear - Germany or Switzerland I'll get in touch about buying a kit. I should know for certain by the end o fthe month.

Cheers,
    Jason

PS I too received an email from you (I had no problem with that!), the only reason for not having replied so far was the Germany/Switzerland question

Zitat von fabrice

Bonjour à tous,

Dsl d'arriver après la bataille mais je vous confirme que le mail perso que vs avez reçu d'Alex Bergh est une arnaque surtout N'Y REPONDEZ PAS.
    Pierre Marie merci pour ton post, je pense aussi installer les xenons dont tu fais mention. Ce serait sympa qu'on s'organise un petit atelier technique chez Philippe Quentin un samedi ou dimanche prochainement et que nous montions ensemble ce petit kit pour ceux qui sont intéressés. Par ailleurs on pourrait lors de cet atelier voir d'autres sujets comme le réglage des sièges électriques ou/et autres????
    Si vous êtes ok faites le savoir ds ce post et vos dates de dispo. Je contacte Philippe pour connaître ses dispos.
    a+
    Fabrice

Bonjour Fabrice,

sorry for writing in English but I can read a little French but write none at all :(
    I've been following the HID threads on the forum and there seem to be a lot of people that have bought the HID kits from Al and seem happy - I also received an email telling me about the kits. I'm curious, I was thinking of buying one of the kits as the feedback seems good but now I'm worried as you mention that it's a scam (arnaque). What's the story here?
    Thanks

Zitat von Noggie

I've heard this before from a Brit, The reason why there are so few pretty girls in the Brittain (never been there so I cant confirm his statement) was that the Viking came and took all the pretty onec with them when they went to Iceland, and therefore Iceland has many pretty girls, apparently the gril/boy ratio in Iceland is 60/40 or something......

Sweden are renound for their blondes, and I've seen alot of nice Swedish girls, And if you ask me, Swedish is one of the sexies languages in the world....

Man, this must be the worst sidetrack off topic ever....

I'd have to agree with you on the Swedish language Noggie, I lived in Malmo for a year and half and loved listening to the swing and lilt of Swedish, fantastic :lol:
    My girlfriend in Sweden at the time was, wait for it: a Red Head!