Beiträge von argonaut

Hello All,

I've been to the temple today to stare in wonder at what will soon be my 8 and wife noticed that the car is sporting a set of racing slicks - in my amazement at the overall condition of the car I managed to overlook this minor point. Anyway, currently the car is shod with 235/45 R17 93Y Conti Sport something or others and I've started to get some prices for these tyres and for similar. Can anyone give me some advice/experience with these Conti or similar tyres?

Thanks in advance
    T minus 39 days and counting.....

PS my wife thinks the car is beautiful!

[quote="TallTony"]the best product I ever used was 'TurtleWax' Extreme NanoTech spray wax. You simply washed your car as normal, let it dry and then spray this stuff on. Wipe it over with a soft cloth and viola, the deepest shiniest sparkle you could imagine. It was clear in colour, left absolutely no white residue anywhere, and even brought up the rubber window seals into a deep black finish.

Reading the blurb on the bottle it claimed that the particle size in the wax was so small it would fill in the spaces between the molecules on the paint itself, and then buff up to a hard shine. There is a pic in my gallery titled 'gleam gleam gleam' which I think testifies the products awesome finish.

But, and this is a big BUT, the product was pulled shortly after it's release when the independant boffins that test such products on the market realised that the particles were SO small that they were penetrating human skin and getting into peoples blood stream, which is not really a good thing is it ? :shock::lol:

Tony, interesting comments on the Nano-stuff (I received the same comments when sporting one of those non-iron shirts from M&S from someone who claimed I was poisoning myself with nano gremlins). The product is still listed on Turtlewax' webpage - has it be re-launched? Your gleam gleam gleam picture is certainly impressive :)

Could be just condensation - is there much Mayonnaise there? Maybe an oil change incl filter will do the trick - I've had this problem on a different car, not an 8 so I'd suggest you get some expert views from the forum and not rely on just my guess :):) wuffer or terry maybe?

PS - if the engine's using coolant it would tend to point to a head gasket problem - check to see if you got any leaks elsewhere in the cooling system and do a compression test to see if you have one or more cylinders down on compression - that will give you an idea of the state of the gaskets.

Hello Peter,
    does the sludge you mention look like mayonaisse? If it does it sounds like the result of oil emulsification - oil mixing with water.
    It can be caused by leaking cylinder head gaskets or it may also be the result of condensation - perhaps as a result of the car not being used much recently - is the car kept in a cold environment?

Hope it's not the cylinder head gasket :)

I used to use V-power in my old VW Polo (hangs head in shame for mentioning that on this noble forum) and noticed an immediate difference to both power and consumption: first up, second down.
    My brother works for Shell and explained that V-power isn't just about additives, it's refined differently and arrives in your local forecourt pumps in seperate tanks. That could all be a load of ...t but I've certainly noticed a difference. Can't wait to give it a try in my 8....(only another 40 something days to go but's that's another thread)
    :lol::lol::lol:

Very nice Tony - does your car talk to you too? :lol::lol:

To the idea of the CSi front spoiler - not too sure myself, heard that they're very vulnerable, maybe later on. For now I'm happy with the standard including the "Big Ears" mirrors.

I've done it, I've gone and bought an 850CiA...
    Thanks to everyone for the various input received on the subject of 6 speed manual or steptronic. I went for the Stepper, in the end it was a no contest (well done Stevep, you were right).

55 days till I collect the car and yes, I'm counting them down :lol:

Hopefully I won't need to often try and decipher codes or warnings but I think that club site is great for helping out with problems - just so long as I don't report a "main bus b undervolt"
    Cheers

Zitat von ballaamir

Argonaut,
    Where are you located? Are you currently trying to purchase an 8? Or are you just eye shopping?

Hi, I in Switzerland and I'm going to test drive an 850i 6 speed next Friday and a 850 CiA next Saturday.
    I've been in love with the 8 since I first saw one but never dared dream I might own one. Now my circumstances are such that I can actually realise my dream and own an 8. I get paid an annual bonus at the end of March so by mid April I'll have an 8! :lol::lol:

Zitat von stevep840

Ha ha so you spotted my deliberate mistake :oops:

back to your problem, get in the 2 cars and drive the arse out of them then you will decide on the steptronic :lol::lol:

"then you will decide on the steptronic"

that's the bit I can't work out - why is the steptronic so good? I know I need to drive them both to see the difference but I'm guessing you've got a stepper Steve - what's so great about it?

Thanks

Zitat von stevep840

Every time i read this thread i think of Basil Faulty :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Manuel As in the 1st name of a Spanish speaking Gent

Manual As in Gearboxes :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I know nothing! I am from Barcelona

Basil Fawlty or Faulty - brilliant stuff, thanks for reminding me Steve.

There's some quite different opinions coming out re manual (or should I say stick-shift) vs auto - at the end of the day it's going to be up to me of course to decide what I prefer. At the moment I'm still tending to the 6 speed rather than the stepper....

Hello guys, I couldn't sleep so after trying for three hours I thought what the hell and got up to surf the net for 8 stuff. I'm off to test drive/view a 1991 850i with 6 speed manual next week and I was pretty sure that I really want a manual car. Now, thanks to insomnia (or was it last night's beer?) I've gone and found a 1997 850 CiA with the steptronic 'box.
    Now I know next to **** all about steptronic so I'd like to have some opinions on this set-up. Specifically, what's the drive like? is a manual more fun / give more control / acceleration? or is the steptronic the best of both worlds?
    The '91 6 speed is silver with black interior - looks pretty stock; the '97 stepper is black with black interior (nice :) ) but with the stick on wood bits (sorry, don't like those much, look like they'd be better off stuck on an old radio set somewhere)

Please let me have some views on manual vs steptronic :)
    Thanks for your help!