Beiträge von argonaut

Oh and by the way - if you were looking for a seriously fast 850i then there's always the Dinan twin turbo version - anyone ever seen one of these beasts? I expect they're rarer than a rare thing

Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to go for the 850i and use the money saved to add bits and pieces I'd like to have. I love the CSi but I suspect it will always be just beyond my reach in price - by going for the 850i option I get to start enjoying 8 motoring and can "customise" or whatever as and when I feel the need. I agree that the 850i six-speeds are blooming rare, the one I'm watching (read going to buy having received management approval from the wife) is the only manual one I've seen for months. Loads of nice 850i's around but nearly all of them with the auto box. Yeah I know the "experts" from the motoring journalist world claim that E31 isn't really a sports car but it's sporty enough for me but not if it's got an auto box - I like stirring the cogs too much :lol:
    Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated - photos of the car will arrive, probably about an hour after the car gets parked in my garage and I can call it "mine"!
    Happy Christmas to all

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to buy an 850 early in the New Year after spending around a year now looking for the right car. Currently there are two that I'm considering. One is a 1991 850i with around 110,000 KM and a 6 speed manual g'box and the other is a 1993 CSi with 130,000 and costs almost twice as much as the 850i. Assuming I could afford either one why should I go for the 850 CSi? I mean apart from the body modifications and the larger engine cc and power what makes the CSi so special - only rarity?
    According to the BMW technical information I have from 1993 when the CSi was launched the performance is almost identical - a second or so quicker on the 0 - 100 kph dash and 0.1 second faster on the 80-120 kmh flexibility - all at the price of a slightly higher fuel consumption. I suppose what I really asking is is the extra power really noticeable or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions
    :D