Beiträge von Vish850

It was my wheels or tyres!! changed them over from the 7 series and fine wobble gone but now I can really feel my suspension worn out, so far theres three options which have been greatly discussed among the forums:
    1. replace with EDC OEM - far too costly
    2. replace with non EDC bilsteins
    3. Get them rebuilt

I would really like the third option but not sure how much this can cost and who does it

I'm having the same problem had upper arms replaced getting lower ones replaced tonight but might well be the wheels as in your case, do you have any ideas as to how much it would cost to get the wheels sorted/repaired.

I've got the lower arms and am having them replaced this weekend are there any special instructions that i should give to my mechanic like tightening under load as with upper arms?

If this doesnt ure the wobble maybe its the wheels? ive attached a pic
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/6687/
    I might swap the 17s from my 7 series and take it for a run.

The shocks will have to come later as im totally skint now spent too much on this car! Is it straight forward replacing the EDC shocks with non EDC shocks, again any special instructions I should give my mechanic?

I will keep you updated if this cures it if not what next replace anti roll bar bushes? how much will it cost??

thanks for the replies

ive had the cats and lambda sensors replaced got the cats from online automotive, car seems fine now no rev problems but didnt realise i have to get the car remapped?

i think next ill replace the lower arms too, not sure about the shocks though, also would they fit straight on ive got EDC so them shocks wouldnt do?

Changed the Cats and the power is back!! Mechanic also changed the plugs to bosh super plus, multi-tipped plugs and there seemed a slight miss so i cleaned the original ngk single tips and put them back in and the cars perfect! well i hope so anyway not took it on a long drive yet as the wobble/shimmy still there!

changed the upper arm and bushings and had all wheels balanced, im thinking of changing more bushings but don't know where to start? needs it though as going over any bump can be felt! the car jus bounces!

Still no joy!!!

Starting with the wobble: changed the front brake discs, and upper arms and bushes, but i wouldn't know if this hasd solved the problem as the car does not drive!!

Mechanic checked the catalytic converter and its intact, the rattle was in fact heat guards loose. There was an oil leak from the distributor gasket so had that sorted, also changed the spark plugs, then fired her up but same problem except starts up alot easier now.

The problem is that the car just aint got no power, especially when you put your foot down, i thought i would give the throttly body re-sync a go but when in first the car doesnt rev above 1500rpm and doesnt move.

Might change the throttle bodies as ive ordered them now although having done alot of reading i don't think that is the problem. Mechanic thinks its either:
    Throttle bodies
    Coil
    Air flow sensor
    Fuel pump

But hes no BM 8 series expert and nor am I!
    I really hope I don't have to buy all the above parts to get to the bottom of the problem i'd have to get a second job!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Vish

Before I've even had a chance to sort out all the other problems on my 1992 850i a new one hs arisen! I've got a very slight oil leak coming from the top end near one of the distrubitor, anyone have any clues as to where it might be coming from, anything common?

Thanks

Thanks for the great response, I will have the thrust arm bushes replaced along with brake discs (ive bought the discs now so might aswell), i will also take your advice and use e34 m5 bushes.

I'd like to get rid of the cat altogether, would be the cheapest option too but the MOT is also due! Lloyd can i ask how much the system replacement cost? Does anyone else have any ideas with regards to exhaust and cost?

I will keep you updated on any progress.

Thanks again
    Vish

I recently bought a 1992 850i auto with 116k. I don't know much about these cars except that ive always wanted one and now that i have its spent most of its time in the garage!

When i bought the car it had a wobble coming from the front wheels above 50mph, had the wheels balanced but this did not help so im having the discs changed. is this the right thing to do?

Secondly and more worrying, i was on the motorway lost power all of a sudden to 60mph, the box kept changing down when i accelerated to try n pick up but the car just didnt shift. i got where i wanted eventually doing 50mph. the next day i started the car n there was just no throttle response the emp light came on and car stalled. i started again, no eml light but again wouldnt go above 60mph so i got the rac to take me home.

now ive been doing alot of reading since and think the throttle bodies may be at fault, so ive ordered a pair refurbished from america, i know i could refurbish myself but thought id be on the safe side and buy them already done.

my mechanic seems to think its the catalytic converter causing the problem as its rattling hence my be clogging the system up. cats are expensive when bought as a system so i was thinking of getting a magnaflow cell 200 cat and having it welded. is this a good idea? i really could do with some help here as i dont know much about exhausts.

I know there are alot of problems from the offset but im still not put off and determined to get the car back on the road although cost is an issue. any help would be greatly appreciated

Vish