Beiträge von NickF

Hi Graham - long time mate. I ran my car for years with a piece of braided flexible hose in place of a section of corroded fuel line. It's clearly not great, but it will work. I have replaced all the lines properly now. Someone else fitted them but I don't think it's a massive job.

It’s fair to say my motivation has been “patchy” but in the last 18 months since my last post, I have driven about 500 miles, not great. The problem is it looks crap, and has a few faults that make it hard to live with, so when the choice is do I drive my wonderful Alfa or the 340i Touring that I recently added to my embarrassingly large fleet of cars, then the choice is rarely the 850i. When I do drive it, I get reminded what a great car it is. Mechanically it’s almost completely sorted so it drives really well, so with that in mind I have decided to spend a load more cash on it. I took it to a body shop place recommended by the mechanic that did the underside and judging by the array of old Porsches they were renovating it looks like the right place. They had a very flash looking paint booth, not that I know what a good paint booth looks like, but it looked flashy. So they are going to strip it down, cut out any rot, and do a bare metal respray. They need the car until March. It’s going to cost around £5k for the respray and another £1500 for the repairs. The phrase “good money after bad” seems fairly appropriate, but so does “in for a penny in for a pound”. I’m buzzing about it to be honest.

Thanks a lot Graham, great to hear from you too. If original parts are avaliable I'll go for that route. I'd got it in to my head that they were no longer available. Hopefully that was just a cheesy dream. Despite the lack of action, I really love this forum. We really need to organise a meet up.

Thanks Timm. I'll try the relay trick tomorrow. Is the pump in the unit that lives under the master cylinder, or is it the thing in front of the left wheel?

Both seem to go for about £100 on ebay.

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm more confused than when I started. I've worked out that the control module is in the left door sill, so i guess I could crack that open and check for obvious problems like corroded contacts. There seem to be a lot of terms and I'm confused what is what.

There is an "ABS Block" in front of the left wheel, there is the power steering pump and the ASC+T unit that sits below the brake master cylinder. All three of these things get referred to as "pumps". The term hydro unit gets used a lot, but seems to apply to the block as well the ASC+T unit. The error says the problem is the "abs return pump" but which unit is that? I'm so confused...

I hope everyone hasn't abandoned this forum and I'm just talking to myself??

I've been living with this, but since I'm putting a fair few miles on the car now (and loving it) I need to get this sorted.

Looking through the ETM (RTFM) I've noticed that the stomp codes Reinhard posted in the German section are for ASC only, not +T. There are far more for +T.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/38638/

15 flashes means ABS return pump defect. Sounds bad.

The troubleshooting instructions require someone less moronic than me to understand them.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/38639/

What is the "motor relay" and where is it?
    Where is the control unit?

All help appreciated.

BTW - I have flushed the pentosin and bled the system

I messed about with it on my way to work this morning and it's more mad than I first thought.

The face dash vents and the main ones on the door blow slightly warm (warmer than ambient, but in no way hot) regardless of temperature setting. I tried max hot and max cold and it made almost no difference, this was with the all vents open setting. The defrost vents on the dash and doors blew warm air (warmer than the face vents) on max cold and hot air on max hot. If I changed the vent setting to footwell only, I only got air in the footwells (except a tiny amount out of the defrost) and it was full hot, regardless of temp setting (I tried max cold, max hot and settings in between). Not sure about the passenger side as I was driving and my arms weren't long enough.

When I started out this morning the system was off and temp was set to max cold. I was getting a small amount of warmish air out of all vents and a weird whistling sound from behind the dash. One I turned the system on (via the fan control) I heard the steppers all do their thing and the face vents became significantly cooler (still above ambient).

Do my ramblings give anyone any idea? It's lost its marbles hasn't it....

Hi 8ers,

My HVAC is playing up, I'm getting hot air from some vents all the time (even with the driver temp on max cool). I know this stinks of heater control valves but I replaced these a few years back so I'm thinking it's something else (i've ordered a 12v probe that I'll use to rule out the valves). I connected DIS (still blows me away how much info that gives for a 1991 car) and ran some diagnostics. There was an error regarding ambient temp sensor, and when I saw the values returned by the various sensors the ambient sensor showed 0c. According to the HVAC manual this is the default when the sensor is broken. Whether this is the root cause of the hot air or not I ought to get it sorted so does anyone know where this sensor hangs out? I can't find it on realoem.

I know there is an ambient temp sensor in the air intake in front of the passenger front wheel, but I think that's for engine management or just for the MID??

I'm really enjoying my car now and am driving it every week. There are a few fairly significant problems that I need to solve to make it more liveable but the heater being jammed on is right up there so help me out 8er heroes :)