Beiträge von NickF

My car was towed off this afternoon. After much procrastination it's going to get fixed. Just waiting for the bad news call from the mechanic tomorrow.

Just to annoy Graham I've sorted a nice set of E34 Throwing Stars.

Wolf do you sell the spacers?

Well... despite me being motivated, time is not my friend so I have given up and I'm sending the car to DMWorx in Aylesbury where it will stay until MoT'd. I tried to fix some things the other day when I discovered that the brakes had completely failed (pedal to floor with whoosing sound under the bonnet), this was the last straw. It's being picked up by trailer next week. I have used DMWorx once before and I believe they have some reasonable knowledge when it comes to the e31. It's not too late to change though, so if anyone knows a better place that is reasonably local to me in St Albans please let me know.

I feel better now I'm finally doing something that will result in the car back on the road, although probably with me being considerably worse off.

Thanks Phil. Sadly the car is still in a sorry state. I did some work on it at the weekend to prep it for an MoT and the brakes have completely failed. Fun and games ahead. I'm still completely determined to sort it out but I have no time in my life so I'm close to making it someone else's problem and may get someone to loloader it away and sort it out. Once the car is MoTd I'll get it resprayed and will look up your MK guy. Thanks

I love the campers too, but am not cool enough for a proper one so am looking at the new T6 California. They really ring my bell. Sleep in the roof, proper fridge and cooker. Pity they are £50k but they depreciate very slowly.

I used to drive my 850 every day and it was fine, but I know what you mean. I think the E46 M3 is basically an old school BMW. It wasn't very different from the E36 that came out in the early 90s when BMWs were good. The M550d appeals as it's stupidly fast and I'd guess reasonably frugal, but the current 5 series doesn't do much for me visually and despite the vast speed I'd guess it's fundamentally a bit boring. I've driven several lesser F10 5 series and they were good, but dull. Sadly we don't get the M550d in the UK which is a shame, as the M5 is saloon only and thirsty. They also depreciate like there's no tomorrow. Anyone owned a Panamera or similar? I wonder if Porsche manage the functional yet interesting a bit better.

I drove my new Audi S3 home today and thought how dull it was compared to my 8. Yes, it's a lot faster, far more efficient, I can check twitter (FFS) and all sorts of other stuff that makes it "better" in pretty much every way. But why do I find it so dull? It may be because it's an Audi, or that specific car but I doubt it. Driving an 8 is an occasion while driving modern stuff is just A to B for me. Can someone propose a rational explanation for this?

Oh and Graham, tell me about your 123d.

Thanks Graham. Have you still got your 123d? I bet you're bored of it now. Despite it being fast, economical, well built and just generally a good car, I bet it's dull. I bought an Audi S3 (spits on self in disgust) a year ago, and that is all those things too but it's boring as hell. Can't wait to get my 8 back on the road. It's worse in almost every way, but it's a much nicer car.

Hi Chaps,

When I've sorted the rest of my car out in the new year, I'm going to get it resprayed. It's a last resort as I know it should be avoided, but it will never look really good until it's done. After the accident I had in the car many years ago, the front is a brighter silver than the back, and there is some rust and paint imperfections on every panel.

It will need to be a proper job though, so does anyone know a place to get this done? Distance isn't really an issue (within reason) but I want somewhere that will do a really good job of it. I know it's going to cost a few quid (more than the car is worth) but I don't care.

Nick

Thanks Angus, I did see those but wasn't sure if they would fit? Are the hub sizes the same on the E34? They are pretty nasty looking for £500 but maybe that's what they cost. I might offer to cut my e39 M5 wheels in, see if he'll swap.

Vic: never been a massive fan of the split rims but I may change my mind if I can't get the throwing stars or M-pars. Thanks.

Thanks Timm. They would work nicely. I can't seem to find any M-Parallels (loads for the E38/E39, but no E31) or throwing stars (unless E34 ones are the same?) on eBay. Does anyone have any wheels looking for a good home?

Hi Chaps,

My car currently has e39 M5 wheels, they look good but don't really suit the car and need hub rings. I need to get new tyres so am thinking about changing the wheels too. I've always liked the throwing stars but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions? I want to keep it reasonably stock looking and don't want anything that needs spacers or hub rings.

Andre, your physical threats have motivated me, thank you.

Graham you old dog, I'm so glad you're still part of the crew.

I have no choice now, I have to do the right thing. I will see you all at Gaydon this year and my car will be with me. (possibly on a low loader).

I have brought shame on myself and my family. There is only one solution and that's sort this sorry state of affairs out and get my beautiful car back on the road.

Thank you for the verbal kicking Angus. Anyone else fancy a pop? Come on, I deserve and need it.

Turns out my motivation wasn't what I thought it was. I'm disgusted to admit that my 8 has been sitting on my drive for approaching 3 years without a proper drive. I keep it insured and drive it around the block every few months but that's about it. Every time I start it up it reminds me of what a great car it is as it starts immediately after being sat for weeks (albeit on a trickle charger). Anyway, I'm coming into some cash in the new year and I'm really hoping that I can get the motivation together to get it MOTd and on the road. There's nothing obviously wrong with it and its not failed an MoT but I know it will, probably with some serious stuff, I just need a kick to get me back in the zone. I still absolutely love the car and every time I see it (that's often as it's inches from my house) it makes me feel bad that I've neglected it so. They are so rare now (i don't care about prices, I'll own the car when I'm in my box) I need to keep it running properly. I'm pleading with you to make me feel bad and spell it out that I'm killing a proper classic by leaving it neglected. Come on chaps, give me both barrels, I need to sort this.