Beiträge von sparklesmcgraw

Hi folks,

In preparation for my inspection II service probably in the summer this year I will be taking my car to my local mechanic for a full check over as I don't fully trust any dealer or independant garage and am not too keen on the silly labour prices they charge these days.

The last time he was looking over the exhaust (which turned out to be a faulty cat) I was speaking to him about sorting the track rod ends which was recommended to be change soon the last time I it was in BMW. I mentioned that they were wanting to charge +/- £300 for a laser alignment once changed and he laughed it off. He has around 40 years experinece as a mechanic and I trust him fully.

Question is....is a laser alignment necessary with these cars? What is wrong with the traditional method if done properly?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Anyone have any ideas? All other aspects of the radio (including MW radio, CD, Tape etc..) work fine but for some reason all I get is static on FM?

Could this be a fuse, or aerial error? Bit of a strange one.

Happy new year to all aswell!

:)

Noticed on the way home from work that the portion of the dash where the temp gauge is was not lighting up for some reason. I suspect a blown LED perhaps?

Here's a pic:

How difficult is it to get behind the dash to change this out? As I am not too technically minded, would it be better to wait until the next service and ask them to replace it?

Thanks

I would say yes...absolutely.

I changed mine in less than an hour so it not exactly a chore.

You can also still have fun if you want to, but to be honest, I am having more fun driving around in a 8 series with better traction than most other cars on the road!

The difference is staggering. From undriveable, to ploughing through deep icy snow and feeling 100% comfortable.

:driver:

Did some digging.

The car looks like it has these on the back : http://www.vredestein.com/Band…andgroepID=2&BandtypeID=7

and these on the front : http://www.vredestein.com/Band…ndgroepID=3&BandtypeID=66

So they are a mix of full on high performance winters on the rear with all season versions on the front. All of them bear the winter symbol though so are all certified as a winter tyre.

Just thought I would share this with you guys.

I just put a set of winter tyres (on throwing star 17's) that I was given from a family friend who sold his 8 which had alpinas at the time of sale. These wheels were just sitting docile so he offerend them to me. A very kind jesture as they came with winter tyres!

Wow, all I have to say is that the difference is significant. The car feels a whole lot more surefooted in the snow and I am happy in the knowledge that my original wheels will remain salt free over the winter.

A happy bunny!

I had an interesting observation today. I have run my 840Ci on Shell VPower exclusively since I have owned her for just over 2 years. The only reason I use V Power was due to the 99 ron and I have heard it is good for the engine etc..

Yesterday however, I was running low on fuel (no surprises there) and couldn't make it to the local Shell garage so I stopped at BP and filled her up with BP 97.

Today for some reason, the car is seeming to run slightly smoother and feels more responsive/urgent. The difference is subtle and I may be imagining it but I'm quite sure I feel a difference.

Could there be any reason for this or am I imagining things? Maybe as it's an older engine it is happier on the slightly lower ron?

Thanks a lot for the reply. It looks like water may have been the problem. I took it for a drive today and the lights went off almost immediately and stayed off for the whole journey. Will keep an eye out for it but hopefully there are no issues. Thanks again!

Hi guys,

Today on the way home my ABS+ASC lights came on and stayed on for no apparent reason. The roads were quite wet so maybe a puddle could have done it.

They stayed on all the way home and remain on when the car is restarted.

I have read quite a few posts here regarding this and it looks like it could be may things; dirty sensors, failed pump, low battery voltage etc...

I checked the easy to get to battery on the passenger side and the viewing glass still shows green (whether this is accurate of the battery condition I don't know).

Any advice or should I take it straight to an independant for a check over?

Fingers crossed it's not the pump by the sounds of the price :ahhhhh:

Thanks!

I phoned a local exhaust dealer and they say said over the phone that they could replace the cat alone for around £200-300.

Is it possible to simply cut out the faulty cat and weld a new one in place?

Hi Folks,

I had noticed a slight rattle over the last couple of weeks and took the 840 to a neighbourly retired mechanic. He had a look underneath and immediately discovered that one of the cats had a rattle when nudged.

He advised that it is not critical although may fail an MOT if not fixed. He is trying to source a replacement but may struggle as he normally works on less 'exotic' machines.

What are my options here? I have heard they can be removed entirely? Would that make an MOT failure certain?

If replacing is necessary, does anyone know a good place to look for a new one? I fear BMW will charge hundreds if not thousands to fix it.

Thanks guys

The dyanix dye that I got for mine (Silver Grey) was an absolute perfect match. Don't worry, it looked far from perfect when I put it on but dried to perfection. Would definitely recommend dynamix.

Agreed its not cheap. It would have been but I requested all of the other stuff over and above the oil service. I guess I wanted the BMW stamp as it was just an oil service. Seeing as it is the only penny I have needed to spend on the car, In a year and a half, I don't suppose it is too bad.

Alas, I do think it is time to look elsewhere. BMW said my rear trailing arm bush is worn. What would this cost to replace both of them at an independent?