Beiträge von sparklesmcgraw

Thanks I will look into it as I was pretty sure it was clicking when the blower was shut off. Funny as I never noticed this before and it is only after I picked up the car after the service that I noticed it.

Whats the estimate of a new water pump if it needs replacing?

I have just noticed a steady clicking sound from inside this box.

Any ideas what's under here? Circled in red.

Not my engine bay, but my god it is beautiful!

Just thought I would post the outcome of my recent oil service. All work completed was (price in GBP):

Oil service/filter - 184.93
    Coolant replacement - 98.21
    Fuel Filter - 74.23!
    Air Filter - 32.06
    Brake Fluid - 70.15
    Secured lose part of front splitter - 13.70
    1 passenger wiper blade - 15.17

Total cost - 573.93 with the labour discount and VAT!

Doesn't seem majorly unreasonable....fuel filter price though :ahhhhh:

The only thing they recommended needed done was the rubber boot on the o/s track rod end and the o/s rear trailing arm bush was worn.

Price quote to fix the trailing bush with KDS alignment - 347.31!! 120 for the arm and 180 for the alignment!!

How does this sound? Would it be worth getting this work checked out by an independent and performed there if necessary?

Any thoughts? Was a sting to the bank balance but I feel better all the fluids filters etc. have been changed.

:winkwink:

It seems I have figured it out.

For anyone that may be interested....the wiper should definitely park below the black stud. They should extend right to the bottom of the windscreen.

I think my wiper was on incorrectly. Lucky I didn't lose it a high speed! Not that I ever drive at high speed :harhar:

Can anyone explain how to fit the passenger side wiper? I cant seem to get it to lock in place properly. The blade slides in the mechanism but not all the way to the end by the looks of it.

With regards to the park position, should the passenger side wiper park below or above the little black stud on the far side of the top bonnet strip? Mine is parking on top and they seem a tad high. I seem to remember them parking lower. They park correctly but are stopped by the black stud.

Wow, thanks a lot guys.

I have adjusted the rubber piece to a higher setting. Hope it does the trick for any future wiper use. Hard to say whether it will help as the mark is near the edge just above the stalk base on the drivers side and it's hard to tell whether this bit is now sitting higher.

Never noticed that rubber piece before. Is that a design feature for this exact issue? These guys really thought of everything when designing these. Shame the attention to detail just doesn't exist in today's standards.

:winkwink:

That is probably exactly what happened. Looks like the wiper base may have come down and grazed the top of the fiberglass.

Using the wipers now show that they do have clearance so its kinda weird how it may have happened. When it goes in for its next service (soon) I will ask if they could dab a bit of clear coat on it if they can.

Where could I get the replacement part in the UK if I one day decided to do so?

I just noticed a small mark on the fiberglass painted part of the bonnet just above the base of the drivers side wiper.

Can this strip be replaced. It appears to be a separate part attached to the bonnet. I will try to get a photo.

Failing a part change, could I just dab a bit of sealer on it to prevent it getting any worse?

43-86 mph in 10 seconds? That's about the range of second gear and tad into third?

10 seconds seems pretty high. I have never timed my V8, but am very sure it would do that in about half the time?

Maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks for the replies and I feel more at ease now.

My engine sounds just like the one in Timm's first video. The ticking is very slight and does indeed sound like a quiet diesel. A VERY quiet diesel!

You need to be upclose to hear it and I am glad to be told that this is a normal sound. Although the lifter tick also sounds just like it it's a bit louder by the sounds of it in those videos.

I will get a video up of my engine whilst I am home for a double check but good to know that it shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Much obliged!
    :driver:

Just to rebirth this thread....I still have this problem if it is indeed one.

Last time it was in BMW checked over the belts and said they were all tensioned ok. I have now noticed that the sound does infact change with RPM. It also only appears once the engine is warm and cannot be heard from cold at all which leans me away from the belts.

It is still only slight and cannot be heard from inside the car but I am a bit worried that it could be something serious potentially causing weare?

Car has done 41k and is a '99 840Ci.

I will try to get up a recording of the noise to help a diagnosis.

Peanut brittle.........Amazing!

That is definitely worth some jail time.

Cheers, It was nice to meet you also. Albeit really weird when you meet internet acquaintances!

I will keep an eye out for the Z8, would love to get a good look at one of those.

All the best for the new year