Beiträge von rogbmw

Derek,

You did not say if you had a V8 or a V12. I just had the same issue on a V12, and this is what we ended up doing on it. We finally got it solved when we changed the plug wires and the Crankshaft Position Sensors(CPS) (#5 below).

1. Changed the O2 sensors (made no difference)
    2. Rebuilt DK motors (one was sticky - made no difference)
    3. Changed the Distributor caps and Rotors (made no difference)
    4. Checked MAFs - switched side to side (made no difference) - switched back to original sides, but cleaned inside with MAF cleaner
    5. Changed plug wires and sensors, changed both CPS. IT WAS FIXED!

There is another friend here in the US chasing the same problem, and has done all above except the CPS. He is going to do this this weekend and will see.

Good Luck.

I would be very concerned if the MAF (Air Mass Sensor) did not have a wire in it. Another thing that some state is the oiled air filters (K & N) can cause problems with MAFs. The benefits/risks/disadvantages of oiled air filters can be extensively discussed, but to my thinking, if you put an oiled filter in the airflow, then pass the air over a very small wire, it may not be advantageous. As Noggie said, the car will run, but will not run its best without a fully functional MAF. Good luck!

I've had the same issues, with an intermittent "Check Engine" light. I have cleaned everything, and am cleaning the MAFs and am rebuilding the DK motors - one was slower on return than the other, and it looks like it was due to the grease inside getting gummy.

I would like to extend a huge "Thank You" to Tom - aka - WUFFER for his running the forum at his site for the past several years. I believe that yesterday was the last day for the forum. Tom has put much time and effort into running the site, and provided us 8 nuts with an outstanding wealth of information. According to Tom, he is not out of the 8 world, but is passing the torch for discussion groups on to other forums.

Again - THANKS TOM FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE, AND STILL DO.

I posted this in the Alpina section, but am posting it here for those who can not access the Alpina board.

OK - I can keep quiet no longer. The US Department of Transportation and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has granted - as of TODAY - permission to import ALPINA B12 5.0 and 5.7 Coupes. This is due to the great efforts of Bill Fox, and his RI company, 101 Innovations, LLC. Bill and I have been working together since last December to make this happen. As background, last fall I purchased an Alpina B12 coupe. I wanted to officially import the car as an Alpina, and go through the complete process to make Alpina Coupes officially importable. Up until today, Alpina B12 Coupes have NOT been on the eligibility list to be imported. There have been loopholes which some have thought about using, including combining the BMW and/or Alpina VIN with Alpina/BMW nomenclature to get around this. Through Bill's efforts, which has taken us 10 months, we have now achieved recognition to "Officially" import Alpina B12 Coupes as their own group! Remember - Alpina cars have their own Alpina unique VIN as Alpina is recognized as a manufacturer - and now we have the US Government's blessing to import them! This is a milestone day for e31 owners, as now, anyone can officially import an Alpina B12 into the US.

I negotiated to purchase the Alpina 12 months ago, and my car has been in the country, since the first of the year, under a special bond through Bill's company, sitting and waiting for this day!

Now it is time for us to get to work! I will keep you posted on the process as it goes forward, and what is required. It has been hard for Bill and me to keep quiet for the past 10 months, mostly at my request. Now, I am almost giddy with excitement that work can begin!

If you have any questions on officially importing an Alpina B12, I suggest you contact Bill.

Yehawwwwwwwwwwwwwww ...here we go!

I want to personally thank Jud for all he has done. It is an amazing amount of work, and he will be missed (but hopefully not gone). He has said to me that we are in great hands with Reinhard. All the best Jud, and thanks for help with my "project". We'll keep in touch!

Many BMW enthusiasts seem to forget that it was the e31 that forged BMW into new territory with regard to electronics, rear suspension configuration, fly-by-wire, etc, etc. That is why they spent so much cash developing the car - for those who forget, just remind them that the development was $1,000,000,000.00. So, one can say that all BMWs after the e31 are our stepchildren...not the other way around!

Congrats on the new family addition. Enjoy every moment, as they grow up quick. Put his hand in yours and take a picture of it - I did this when our son came home from the hospital, and it is still one of my favorite pictures - now 26 years later.