Beiträge von oofazi

Hi, no, in short. Basically, I have been very busy over the weekend on other things and it has taken a bit of a back seat. On Tuesday, a mate of mine who is a suitably qualified mechanic will be coming over to have a look at it. It will be a case of getting all the plugs out, drying and cleaning them, getting the dizzy caps off, cleaning and drying those out, then see if there is anything more the matter with it. I have say, after having lots of BMWs that I am suprised with the problems I am having with this one. Its a pain that I now do not have a garage for it to live in whilst I am not driving it, but is in a secure compound though. I am just praying to god it isnt anything to do with an ECU or some such gadgetry, but I wouldnt know if it was, have you got any knowledge of symptoms?? I saw for about £2.50 a manual disk for the 850 on eBay, I might get it, might need it for the future!!! (for whatever else seems to go wrong with it!!!) Hows yours been, before I put it int ehgarage for 4 weeks mine started on the button everytime, no problem... Oh heres a question.. is there an inertia switch on the fuel line at all to stop fuel going up the lines if you have disconnected the batteries or something?? I have got plenty of spark, but I seem to be sending a lot of unburnt fuel out the back for some reason whilst turning it over trying to start it. As ever, any advice is gratefully received.

Cheers, (totally temper threadbare with the car)

Dave

Re Paint..

Thank you both for your advice. I think the previous owners have had plenty of cutting the paint back and I know I will need to be desperately careful not to go too far. In my album pics the paint on it does not look too bad, cos I have just polished the thing, after about a fortnight, it starts to go off, bloom and pink is the colour of the day.... I dont even think its worth mopping it, seems like a full respray may be in order, but I will defo check out that website, thank you. I put on my other thread some issues regarding the pathetic interior, and the gear lever surround which was prised out to get the red leather gaiter on the gear selector. It looks a right mess, is it easier to get stuff like this direct from BMW or do you lads know where else to get this sort of cosmetic stuff???

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I will really need to spend more time on the plugs and dizzies, cleaning and drying them out. I spoke to L/R mechanic chap earlier and he said the same, although I am suprised for such a short time that they will be damp, but I dont care about doing the work, I just want the motor up and running. Now, cosmetically, exterior is fine, but some previous owners have a strange taste in interiors.. Get this, my grey leather int has got parts converted to red leather, its bloody lurid!!

• Both the gear select and the handbrake gaiters are in red leather...horrid. To enable the fitment of these god awful items, the owner then prised out with something the surround that fixes the gear selector in place, broke it and tried to putbathroom sealant on it to keep it together!! Now I know what you're thinking, all I would like to know is if you guys know where the easiest place to get original plastic and orig leather gaiter/ boot parts without attracting extortionate BMW prices...
    • The rear seat centre bolster has been converted to red leather also, more horrid! I will need to see if the original leather is underneath the red, I pray it is, or I will be in for some steep bills!
    • Oh, lastly, my aircon selector panel seems to have dropped back on the left, and is hanging there with the recess with the wires behind visible. Anyone got any ideas on the fixings to pull it to the same place as all the other dash panels, radio and MID system etc??

Thank you.

David

Please Please can someone give me some advice so I may be able to drive my lovely beast! I put my 850 in a garage for 4 weeks or so and it was running perfectly well. When I returned to start it and take it out, it would not fire up. 3 evenings and much recharging of both batteries saw me this evening from 5.30 to 11pm pratting about trying to get it to start. I eventually got it to start, but not on all cylinders, it bellows unburnt fuel out of the pipes and smells rich like it hasnt been burnt too.. There is good spark, and there are 10 litres of fresh petrol in it. I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it going, but when you engage drive, as its an auto, it just dies as you cant just keep feathering it all the time. It is backfiring like a shot gun also. Friends of mine thinks its a damp problem, it is possible, the garage where it has been housed is not fully kept away from the elements.. I very much would appreciate any feedback as I can use it at all, and is reluctant to start on the first turn of the key, you have to keep turning it over to get it to run very lumpy and will not idle on its own... Anyone with any ideas?? Where do I need to be jetting WD40 into to get it to work correctly? Do these things have inertia or cut off switches for the fuel feed...? Bit lost here, please can you email any useful info and pics if necessary to "rdmheard-smith@hotmail.co.uk"[/email] as I dont know how to retrieve messages from this site once I have posted this.. Thank you, David

Please Please can someone give me some advice so I may be able to drive my lovely beast! I put my 850 in a garage for 4 weeks or so and it was running perfectly well. When I returned to start it and take it out, it would not fire up. 3 evenings and much recharging of both batteries saw me this evening from 5.30 to 11pm pratting about trying to get it to start. I eventually got it to start, but not on all cylinders, it bellows unburnt fuel out of the pipes and smells rich like it hasnt been burnt too.. There is good spark, and there are 10 litres of fresh petrol in it. I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it going, but when you engage drive, as its an auto, it just dies as you cant just keep feathering it all the time. It is backfiring like a shot gun also. Friends of mine thinks its a damp problem, it is possible, the garage where it has been housed is not fully kept away from the elements.. I very much would appreciate any feedback as I can use it at all, and is reluctant to start on the first turn of the key, you have to keep turning it over to get it to run very lumpy and will not idle on its own... Anyone with any ideas?? Where do I need to be jetting WD40 into to get it to work correctly? Do these things have inertia or cut off switches for the fuel feed...? Bit lost here, please can you email any useful info and pics if necessary to "rdmheard-smith@hotmail.co.uk"[/email] as I dont know how to retrieve messages from this site once I have posted this.. Thank you, David

Hello Gents

Hi, I just bought my first 8, its a V12 number that I remember being excited about when I was once young. To this end I pick the thing up on Friday 31st Oct from Bedford. I have driven it, its lovely, but the paintwork, being red leaves a lot to be dsired for a '91 car. All the paint is standard,, has no lifts or nasty patches of missing lacquer, how do I get it up to some sort of standard without it fading into dullness in about 8-9 weeks after I have polished it?? On my other cars I have been using either Mer or Auto Glym polishes, is there any better I should be trying??

Any advice is more than gratefully accepted.

David.

(Salisbury area) Any meets coming up in the near future?? Totally new to this site.

Thank you.