Beiträge von revtor

Is intensive cleaner anything else but concentrated washer fluid? Maybe it has more bug-disolving detergents but other than that I don't think there's much magic in it.

Zitat von Nifty50;148192

I do use iTunes on a Mac desktop

This is probably a screenshot of an older version of iTunes (I don't use it) but it clearly shows an option for CDDA (Audio CD):

(taken from How to Burn a CD Using iTunes)

Zitat

PS, is there any way of erasing a CD-R on a Mac? I have followed the mac forum ideas but never get the option to erase?

CD-R is write-once. It cannot be erased, nor can extra audio tracks be added if you still have time left on the CD after being recorded.

The CD players and CD changers from the E31 era support only the original CDDA specification (Compact Disc Digital Audio or Red Book but usually called just "Audio CD").

When you have MP3, WAV,... files on your CD you are talking about the CD-ROM specification (Compact Disc Read-Only Memory or Yellow Book). This will not work! Even when the audio format is the same (like a 16-bit stereo 44.1 kHz PCM WAV file) the main problem is that the CD players and CD changers cannot read the ISO9660/Joliet file system. Only CD-ROM drives can read it (note that many modern CD players and CD changers actually use CD-ROM drives in order to be able to play MP3, WAV, FLAC,...).

But do not despair. Most applications that can record CDs can also write CDDA but you probably have to select it explicitly. Your MP3, WAV,... files will be converted on-the-fly to CDDA while recording. Naturally this means you cannot benefit from the compression advantage that formats like MP3 offer. While a CD-ROM can fit over a hundred MP3 files, CDDA only fits 74 minutes of music (80 minutes on a 700 MB CD).

A second issue is that the old CD players and CD changers do not work well with CD-R (CD-Recordable) and even less so with CD-RW (CD-Rewritable). The media is supposed to be fully backward compatible but due to the physical differences with a pressed CD the information is "harder to read" on recordable and rewritable media. Also, over the past 20-30 years the laser lens probably collected dust and the laser diode lost some strength making it even harder. I wouldn't bother with CD-RW - that's unlikely to work, but a quality CD-R recorded at low to medium speed should work fine.

Nifty50: Your problem is most like that you did not select "CDDA" or "Audio CD" in your recording application.

It seems the online repair manual @ bmwtechinfo.com no longer works and is put behind a paywall. The main page states "Registration and payment are required to enter this site" and the pricing is ridiculous (for hobbyists).

You can download a copy of the repair manual from various locations. Try Wuffer's website (from the top menu click "The Library" to get links to the Repair Manual and Tightening Torques).

It's about time manufacturers are forced to release repair and service documentation to the public - the right to repair. Maybe not right from the start but after a few years or when the warranty period ends.

The original car phones in the 8 Series use the GSM network that is still operative today. However, due to various network and frequency changes there are few places where the old car phones still work.

There's someone at bimmerforums.com who is gauging interest in an upgrade for the old E31 car phones to make them compatible with modern GSM networks. The idea is to replace the electronics in the handset with brand new developed board. Externally it would look, feel and work exactly like the old handset, yet inside is a modern cell phone that can be used on any of today's GSM networks.

The person has experience with projects like this. He develops cellphone and GPS based devices for work. He is currently looking for people who want to back the project.

Mind, it's not going to be cheap: He's thinking approximately 650 EUR per telephone with 20 people backing!

There are still a lot of questions unanswered and finding 20 people willing to back this project seems ambitious but if you ever wanted to make the old car phone work again, now is your chance.

I have no affiliation with the project and I'm still undecided whether I'd jump on-board. Here in Belgium the car phone still works but only with one provider (Orange). I had already accepted the fact that it would stop working one of these years. Besides, it's not like I use it a lot. This year I haven't made or received a single call from within the car.

I just felt this project could use some European attention (as far as I know it's posted only on the US forum even though the person is Norwegian).

If you have genuine interest or questions, please post over at bimmerforums.

Link: OEM BMW car phone modified to work with todays networks @ bimmerforums.com (the opening post is very short but a bit more details are in post #8)

Nifty50: The pipes run in pair towards the front in the area indicated on ENGL's picture. When they get to the engine compartment they bend up 90° and follow the firewall. The pipes end below the water valves assembly (actually right below the brake master cylinder - still against the firewall). This area is quite difficult to get access to - you must remove the headers to get some working space. From there rubber fuel hoses go to another pair of metal fuel pipes at the top rear side of the engine. These run towards the front of the engine where short hoses connect them to the fuel pressure regulators in the fuel rails.

Same here but shipping to Belgium is even more expensive: $64.10 (I did order 2 though)! And that's without import duties and taxes here in Belgium (+21% VAT over articles+shipping + 12 EUR customs clearance costs). That's one hell of an expensive t-shirt...

I've ordered quite a few t-shirts from the US in the past but shipping was never more than the t-shirt.

Ran through the order process but the webstore is clearly not too familiar with international orders...

Zitat

Shipping to this country will be at Cost! This mean that we will charge you the same amount that we will spend for shipping!

Resulting charges will only be applied to your order balance after your approval and before your order ships.

I also get a warning when going from step 2 to 3 in the checkout process. It does not like something in non-US addresses but it's not a blocking error.

Zitat

Undefined variable: response in /var/www/qsc/5.0.0/web_5.0.0/slib/address_verification/ups/AddressValidation.php on line 127

We have a Classifieds section but I'm not sure your ad will get much exposure there. Anyway, feel free to post it there.

You may also wish to post in the French Annonces section [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]as that's almost your backyard[/COLOR].

Update: For some reason I thought you were in Barcelona. Málaga is a 'tad' further away but still...

Oh that again? After all these years the domain mess is still not properly cleaned up. You may get similar issues when you are (only) logged in to 8er.org but someone posted links to http://www.8er.org and vice versa. Surely it must be possible to improve the issue with some clever url rewriting/redirection on the webserver. There should be only one domain and either www. is enforced or dropped (redirected) - but not both. Christoph? Martin?

The black 3-pin connector with grey/red and brown wires is X1193 and is indeed the light plug for the transmission position indicator.

The 3-pin connector at the back of the HVAC control unit is X682 and is only used when the car is equipped with park ventilation and/or heating.

The 6-pin does not ring a bell. Can you get me the exact pin layout and wire colors?