Beiträge von revtor

Oh I see... It's under "[56] ABS/ASC TESTER" instead of "[50] ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)". Strangely this diagnostic program (56) does not show up after performing the short test (which I usually do to get rid of modules not installed in my car) so I never noticed it. I have yet to test with the car connected so I do not yet know whether it actually works...

Yes please wokke, take screenshots of the process because I've been unable to locate the ABS/ASC+T bleeding functionality in DIS. It might depend on the model of ABS module but as far as I know there are only two ASC+T modules for the M70/S70: 34 52 1 158 804 and 34 52 1 159 494 with a changeover around mid 1990. I know for certain that the first one cannot be diagnosed by DIS/INPA at all (only stomp codes) and the second one also seems to be from another era with regards to diagnostics. DIS is only able to read and clear fault codes and retrieve the "BB number" (serial or model number I guess). No other functionality is present. Same with INPA...

Originally posted by Pod in the French 8er.org forums

No affiliation but collectors of scale models or anything E31 related might be interested: France-based OttOmobile will release a 1:18 scale model of the 850CSi in June.

BMW 850CSi 1:18 scale model by OttOmobile

At this moment there are already two 1:18 scale models available by Revell (850CSi) and Maisto (850i). Unlike the Revell and Maisto models the upcoming OttOmobile scale model does not seem to have opening doors, hood or trunk. Not a big loss because whatever is under the hood of the Revell and Maisto models does not really resemble the real thing. I was actually never impressed with the quality and detail of the existing models. The OttOmobile scale model seems to be in a different league.

It's a limited production run (3000 units) and while the E31 may not be BMW's most popular model, I'm told the OttOmobile scale models tend to sell out rather quickly. OttOmobile does take preorders. The price for the scale model is 59,90 EUR and shipping to France costs 9 EUR, the rest of Europe 18 EUR, and worldwide 39 EUR. Preorders will start shipping somewhere in June.

Pictures:

Yes, the general module (GM), as it is commonly referred to, does require coding unless it came from a car with exactly the same options. Following items might not work without recoding if the donor car was not equipped with it:

• Sunroof
    • Headlight washers
    • Speed-dependent wiper pressure control (only relevant if the donor module is from the US which did not get this feature)
    • Door lock heating (not relevant to your '99 since the door lock heating coils were no longer installed starting from January 1995)

Additionally, if the donor module came from a left-hand drive model (assuming yours is a UK right-hand drive model) you will find the window switches operating the windows on the opposite side of what you are used to.

Recoding the module is very easy and only a few minutes work, but obviously it requires access to a BMW diagnostic system. In BMW DIS/SSS: "[3] ZCS/FA CODING" --> "[1] E31 Series" --> "[1] Recoding" --> "[11] GM (ZKE II)".

Please note that if the donor module has a software version older than 40 (November 1993) some minor functionality, like triggering the interior lights with the remote keyfob, will not work (not even after recoding).

Elbow 61 66 8 374 371 might be a direct replacement. It was used on many other BMW models but I have not seen the piece in real life so I cannot guarantee it's for the same pump outlet diameter.

Alternatively, you could get 61 67 1 392 842 (part #8 from the diagram you posted). It's not meant to clip on the pump outlet directly, but two hose clamps and a very short piece of hose should do the job as well...

Yes and no. The 830i was envisioned as a lower cost entry-level model and 18 prototypes were built between March and July 1992. However, the 3 liter V8 was probably not up to the job and the project was cancelled. Instead BMW decided to go with the 840Ci.

That connector is indeed X10058 and it should be disconnected on cars equipped with the headlight cleaning system. When disconnected, the EKM module no longer throws a message on the MID when the washer fluid is low in the front reservoir. With the headlight cleaning system the EKM module monitors the washer fluid level in the trunk reservoir instead.

For electrical details, refer to the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) page 6210.0-08:

In earlier E31, the connector is yellow:

Zitat von BBMatic;123914

Quick other query - i'm trying to locate that thread where you (I think it was you) discuss simcards/ GSM and the potential future loss of actual phone signal-worthiness of our original factory phones. Was it even in this section of the website?

That was actually over at bimmerforums.com (link)... Anyway, whether or not the original GSM system still works today depends on your telecommunications operator. Unlike modern multi-band mobile phones, the BMW GSM supports only the original 900 MHz 2G band (P-GSM). Not all telecommunications operators support this band, but most do...

Well, at least until recently. Last year telecommunications operators in the Netherlands upgraded the 900 MHz 2G network to 3G to improve the mobile Internet coverage (which up until then used higher frequencies which have less range than lower frequencies). Sadly old GSM phones, like the BMW GSM, are not compatible with these network changes. So even though the 900 MHz network is still there, the BMW car phone is unable to connect to it. At this moment I'm not aware of other European countries dumping 2G on the 900 MHz band, but it's probably just a matter of time... That's a bit of a bummer because even though it's 20-year-old technology, it still worked like a treat.

Another factor may be the SIM card itself. Some people claim that not all modern SIM cards work in the BMW GSM and that it becomes increasingly difficult to find compatible cards. The reason is said to be the voltage. The old GSM systems in our cars are all 5 V whereas modern cell phones operate at voltages as low as 1.8 V and not all modern SIM cards support the higher voltage. To be honest I have yet to find any proof for that claim. SIM cards are supposed to be backwards compatible. Old 5 V SIM cards will not work in modern mobile phones, but new cards should work with all previous systems. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

There are three operating voltages for SIM cards: 5 V, 3 V and 1.8 V (ISO/IEC 7816-3 classes A, B and C, respectively). The operating voltage of the majority of SIM cards launched before 1998 was 5 V. SIM cards produced subsequently are compatible with 3 V and 5 V. Modern cards support 5 V, 3 V and 1.8 V.

I even inquired with my telecommunications operator and they assured me that all SIM cards are fully backwards compatible.

Maybe some telecommunications operators cheap out and provide SIM cards that do not comply to the standards, or maybe the users were not aware the operator must exploit a 900 MHz P-GSM 2G network in order for the BMW GSM to work... If the BMW GSM asks to enter the PIN code you can be sure the SIM card works fine. If you still can't make or receive calls after that, the most likely cause is the operator not having a 900 MHz P-GSM 2G network. Over the years I've used quite a few (Belgian) SIM cards in the BMW GSM and I have yet to come along a SIM card that doesn't work. I'm currently using a SIM card that's only 3 months old and it works like a charm.

I read your topic about the Vodafone SIM card over at bimmerforums.co.uk (link). Personally, I would first try the SIM card in another GSM. Obviously modern GSM phones don't take full-size cards anymore, but normally full-size cards are designed in such way that the smaller variant can be pushed/cut out of it. If you want to return to the full-size card, place the small SIM in the opening of the full-size card and tape it on the back.

If the SIM card does not work in a newer phone either, ok, it's bad. If it works... Well, it used to work in your E31 so that can only mean 1) the BMW GSM died, 2) Vodafone no longer provides 2G on the 900 MHz band or 3) you accidentally inserted the SIM card in the wrong orientation.

Question 1: Yes, it is very probable they removed the entire center console (the black trim that surrounds the radio, MID, IHKA and shifter) to get better access to the shifter mechanism. In order to do so, the microphone has to be disconnected. My guess is that they simply forgot to hook it up again afterwards.

Question 2: Well, they should be looking for the connector that mates with the microphone ;). It's a black 4-pin connector (just look at the back of the microphone to know what it should look like). Due to the small opening of the microphone and the chance that the cable is now stuck somewhere behind or below the radio/MID/IHKA, they will probably have to remove the center console again to locate the cable. It's not that much work though... If you've done it a few times, you can do this in just minutes. With the plastic center console you don't even have to remove the MID and/or radio.