Beiträge von alewis

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

I remember back in late 1999 early 2000 there was an off-and-on website called 850convertible.com which was tracking a conversion project. Never knew what happened to it, although there were photos of a converted 850, and another work-in-progress.

As I understand, BMW did (still do?) have two cabrio prototypes. The first was essentially a stock conversion. The problem they found was a complete lack of rear passenger room. The second was purpose designed and removed the rear passenger area completely to fit the roof housing. Last I heard both are still in Munich. I'd love to own one, simply for the joy of owning one!

First post, apologies for old thread ressurection, but always fascinated by the 850 ever since I first saw one:

A service station on the M4, 1993. A lorry full of soldiers pulls in. Now soldiers are well known for their "admiration" for the female of the species. Stunning leggy blonde steps out of a car, and the guys are having problems whether to drool over the blonde, or the mean, low-slung, red BMW no one has ever seen before. Those who know soldiers will understand just how impressive the car must have been!