Beiträge von Benji 840Ci Sport

ahhh right, looks like the papers had it wrong the other week, sure it was in the headlines.... I know fuel has to cost a decent amount to fund new rigs and drilling etc etc but the price everywhere is getting rediculous now!

yep the price of petrol here in the UK is very expensive, apparently we pay twice the amount of tax of the EU!!! im not sure how the government has the nerve to do this (if someone knows the reasoning let me know!).

Im pleased i sold my GTR as running it now would cost an absolute arm - it would only run on VPOWER, plus a few shell garages have shut down around here so id have to go out of my way just for fill-ups!!

Not sure where it will end, most probably the demand / market, for -20mpg cars will disappear before too long (10 years), and well before the oil wells run out!

The roads will be full of mass-market diesels, bio-fueled, electric cars in the not too distant future.

Haha the public and those who have no clue about their 8 series normally think its a CSI... a few people remarked "is that the 3.5 litre version".... erm no..no its not. ;)

prices seem to have stabilised for our 8ers which is good. I can only see prices starting to rise for the better examples.

I wouldnt sell mine (altho i nearly did for a monaro VXR!) i cant imagine parting with her now...i know every inch of her and am almost (bar rear suspension bushes and struts) happy with her state of condition.

The car gets more attention and comments / disscussions than any car ive owned in the past or have driven in the past...which makes ownership that little bit sweeter IMO!

Re V12 Maniac - David, put at least some details in re your CSI on pistonheads...mileage, full BM service? etc and some decent pictures of the car CLEAN. :poke:

Excellent work there Gerry, the calipers look good quality too! 4 and 6 pot setup will provide awesome stopping power. How progressive is the 'bite'?

Good to see someone in the UK pioneering equipment setups for our 8ers!!! :top:

right...now i have a headache...caused by one question. Can you turbo a BMW VANOS engine. Would it be a case of adjusting the timing? or would the way in which the intricate system works ...which as far as i know, is only developed and used in conjuction with normally aspirated engines hinder the addition of turbos due to the introduction of far higher RPM's - would the VANOS be able to cope?

Web address for G-power christoph? is it http://www.g-power.de/275.html?L=1 ? ...no prices i see!?

Im certain if the M62 was stripped down and modified with a good twin-turbo (just go with the generic Garrett's) setup you could easily see north of 500bhp. In fact, with a meticulous build and looking into a bore increase to 5.0L, increased stroke, high lift cam profiles, port & polish the head, forged rods and pistons (CP already make them) etc uprated oil pumps/water pump and baffled sump, and fueling (larger injectors and maybe modified fuel rails) / custom induction - twin filters as per V12, S62 V8 etc / custom exhaust and equaled headers and balanced/lightened flywheel etc you could realise an absolute torque-monster of a powerhouse.

Again it would be imperative to install a programeable ECU (Possibly Motec) to run various maps and monitor knock settings, fueling, turbo boost etc

- all that alone could cost you less than the price of a second hand V10 and tranny.

Plus im sure the standard Ci sport auto box would be able to take the extra 200 or so horsies.

Obviously the brakes, suspension geometry and fuel pump would also have to be revised but that would have to be done with the V10 anyway if your doing it properly.

The reason id look at the M62 is its a smaller footprint engine allowing for turbos either side and pipework and an intercooler / oil coolers.

It would take a very competant engine builder / tuner to execute this task but i do know a few who would be interested from my past skyline days.

Zitat von Christoph;73790

Yep...you have a point here. torque..or low end torque, is whats needed to get the 8 rolling... maybe you could fit bigger turbo's too?

In an ideal world id look at forging/porting/flowing/camming & twin-turbo an M60 or M62 V8 engine with an aftermarket ECU that can run various maps.

Zitat

Cost undisclosed, but WAY high -- suggestions of 2 to 3 times actual value of car

Plus whos going to buy the car at sale time when the price tag would likely be more than twice that of an original example?

Zitat

Would anyone be interested in exchange trailing arms, powder coated and fitted with new heavy duty bushes?

8Tech.

Me!!! think Sytner diagnosed these bushes on mine as in need of replacement (Castor control arm bush x2) and i wouldnt be suprised if some others needed replacing too (or needed soonish).

haha now that would beat your Misses Subaru on a drag strip!

Im certain it would fit in the engine bay - if it can take a V12! ;) however youd need extensive work - new engine mounts, tranny mounts, er custom-made driveshafts/ output shafts etc... not to mention someone clever enough to figure out the whole wiring situation.

I cant imagine how much it would cost - say an initial 6-8k (a new V10 from BMW is about £7500) for low mls engine/box/ecu/loom and then lord knows how much on fabrication & installation costs. So IF it can be done i wouldnt deam it worth the cost or effort! plus your going to have to strengthen the chassis, custom exhaust possibly headers, uprate the open diffs to limited slip to cope with all the power etc etc

Im sure Gerry could give you a good guesstimate.

re engine block and bay detailing its quite straight forwards... but takes time... i have to spend time covering floors over with sheeting etc to collect everything that drops through!

Normally i first run an engine until warm (loosens oils and grime slightly) then cover over all exposed wiring / ECUs etc with a tough plastic wrap which doesnt tear unlike foils...then i use meguiars All purpose cleaner or a citrus mix diluted to about half with water, spritz the entire engine and bay - if its really bad then i work half at a time. Leave the solution for 5-10 mins and aggrevate with a soft brush the really heavily soiled areas. Then with a pressure washer set to around half pressure, give it a good blast off... passing an area 2-3 times. Then i go round with white cloths and dry it all off and inspect to see if areas need more attention.

After i like to seal any paint with acrylic sealant and dress any plastics and rubber as the degreasers remove any protection originally on the surfaces.

Now-a-days i use a steam cleaner...it takes less time but forking out for a decent SC isnt worth it unless your doing it fairly regularly.

Hope this helps some peops!