Beiträge von Benji 840Ci Sport

Hi Steve, I use an aerospace protectant which is pretty much what detailers use over here (despite it being a US product).

The aim of the game is to keep the plastic black with a satin sheen... Using stuff like tyre gels and oil based products is dirt/dust etc will love to attach itself to the sticky residue created by the product...thats not what we really want...

I order my stuff by phone but will try to find a weblink straight to it. :)

Lol steve and sparkles...

The dealer experience was, despite many bad reports of dealerships, very good indeed (the staff were very polite to me and complimentary of the car.) I wanted the to keep up the BMW service history.

Re the inspection items:

Ive already done half the things listed and the service was only 2 weeks back! :)

The list was this;

Fuel filter replacement + clips. = Done

N/S window microswitch (which i had already diagnosed and ordered in). = Done (expensive!)

Rear pads and sensors = Done

New rear Diff oil = Done

New wiper blades = Done (easy job and saved myself £35!)

Dash bulb replace = Done (easy job and saved myself £60!)

A/C P/S belts replace due to slight splitting = Done

Rear shock leaking (slightly but nothing major - but of course theyd want to fit 2 new rears!!) = im currently looking into exactly how bad the leak is and if and who can repair it! £550 to replace and fit!

Rear shock tops split - cheap to replace and if the shocks are off then easy to fit. £36.

Rear silencer hangers broken and hanger mounts - not sure how this has happened... not too expensive fix. £120 all in inc fit.

centre track rod - they reckon excess play in there...im having a second opinion on this. £267

O/S/F track rod - again excess play. £139

castor control arm bushes - i have no idea what or where this bush is located but they want to replace 2 of them - £120
    Rear trailing arm front bushes - £307!
    After which they want to perform KDS alignment check - £218

Theyve recomended that due to corrosion, my fuel pipes need replacing - no part number or part cost here - just £800 of labour?!!!!

rear propshaft coupling leaking (new coupling) - £356

Thankfully they gave me photocopies of the inspection sheets so i have a record... im just working down the list now...and deciding what action needs to be taken.

tbh im not suprised at the faults as its normal wear and tear parts... but unfortunately my pockets arent deep enough to fork out for all this in one go!

All the best for the forthcoming test Nick! mine passed last year with no advisories... however a recent inspection service at Sytner highlighted quite a few bits...which im in the process of sorting...bit by bit!!! - parts cost was just over a 1000... put stealer labour etc on top and the total was £3300!!!!

Hi Iceman! here are the parts i need...

Rear Shock Absorber x2
    33 52 1 137 474

Rear Shock tops x 2
    33 52 1 091 605

Rear silencer hangers x2
    18 20 1 723 190

Hanger mounts x 2
    18 21 1 723 101

centre track rod x1
    32 21 1 138 857

O/S/F track rod x1
    32 21 1 135 666

Castor Control Arm Bush x2

Rear trailing arm front bushes x2
    33 32 1 090 452

A/C + PAS belts

Rear Prop Shaft coupling
    (Coupling + gasket; 1.60 )

- All according to BMW Main dealers... im looking into the rear shocks as they are leaking slightly...not sure if its bad enough to replace them though...or wether they can be repaired... if they need replacement then i will go with bilstein sports...

Zitat von TallTony;73358

In the light of what is happening at Toyota, I'm sat here wondering when BMW are going to recall all remaining e31 for essential work to suspect parts and potential failures of the accellerator system ;)

And whilst they're at it they sort out the suspension, steering, AC system, all known electrical gremlins, seat wear and woolly brakes :banghead:

:top:

Haha! yep seconded re an 8 recall!

This surely will cost toyota millions? nevermind an impact on future sales due to diminished image?!

again, many thanks Reinhard!

Ive used realOEM before but unfortunately the part numbers dont correlate with my parts suppliers database.

HOWEVER! thanks to your advice i went onto bmwfans.info and the part numbers appear to correlate correctly with my suppliers.

Excellent! :top:

thanks.

Ben.

Hi Reinhard, thanks for the help!

Technical Issues > Part Numbers - is the part i cannot view properly - it appears broken ie html image links everywhere and cannot download the pdf etc and "error 404"

Any assistance gratefully recieved! i have a list of around 10 parts i need codes for? :top:

agreed with most here... the subaru, even in unskilled hands, would leave the 850i driver in dissarray as to which direction it went in...

for sheer "get up and go" for a bargain price its hard to beat the japs...
    (however have people noticed the price of E36 M3 Evo's lately?)

for everything & anything else... well lets just say thats why we're here. ;)

Hi Dannilo... not heard of our diffs requiring that grade of oil before? 75w-90 according to a few sources ive spoken to, is the weight the 850 / 840 diffs require?

The chap at opie oils also recommended this weight after i informed him of the model/year etc...

Hi Nick, yep ive plumped for the redline stuff - used it in my GTR and it was worth the cash. - sorted a few whines out (altho the 8 series doesnt suffer or shouldnt suffer noisy diffs).

Will let you know how i get on Nick.

Ordering from Opie Oils. (not affiliated).

Morning guys! which oil do i go for to replace the oil in my rear diff?

Had a good search but cant locate an answer...

Is this stuff ok? ;

Castrol Syntrax Universal 75w-90 semi-synthetic gear oil

Any help gratefully recieved.

Ok, we have an answer from my auto electricians - they say its the microswitch ( £28 ). The glass, afer a while stopped going up to seal (closed) so i deamed it worthless checking the position of the glass itself. I thought it may be the position switch (which failed back in 2003 and was repaired by BMW according to my S/H) or relay but luckily its the M-S.

The part is on order from germany so i have a wait on but luckily the car is at Sytner tomorrow for her Ins. II service and im away next week so when i return it should be a noticeably different car to drive! :top:

Will keep you posted as to wether its the M-S that sorts it but these guys have never been wrong before so...:cool:

second hand or new? second hand parts are hard to come by as are *some* new parts! i find new stuff the best way to go in the long term - try your local BMW stealers or independant parts suppliers ie euro car parts etc... (altho they will require the BMW order codes).

before i refurbished my units i spoke to sytners regards replacing them, i believe they were around £140 per unit last time i checked around 6 months ago... = makes sense being a member of BMW Owners Club - 10% discount!

Good morning James.

Yes its definately worth tackling and like some have said, as bad as ive seen on an 8!

i like others would expect to see some small holes in the metalwork nearer the window beneath the seal or at least heavy pitting. It may require some light welding so be prepared.

Deffinately a glass-out job here and as you suspect, the rust most likely caused by an improper R+R of a screen.

Easiest way to check if the screens been replaced is check for the BMW logo on the glass...if it has Pilkington on it its a replacement.

Your not too far from Gerry at Phoenix Motorsports... Id make an appointment with him.

Sorry but thats nothing i can fix myself... We will gladly advise though with your problem.

Ben.