Beiträge von 330newbie

This was last years trip -- a bit ad hoc, but thats not really unusual.
    I had planned to go south via Genoa, with an option to go down to Sorrento. Set off a bit later in the season than normal -- this was around late September, but the weather was holding and the light was beautiful. Exited the EuroTunnel and headed straight for Lyon -- not much traffic, and so I had a couple of 'windows go up' incidents. Concerned, i checked my satnav, only to discover that the most recent update had not included the "safety cameras" (speed cameras, by another name), and that I would have to fork out another ten quid for this information. Realising that I was already most of the way through France, I just thought I'd save the money and buy a lotto ticket, as I had certainly been a little on the lucky side for most of the previous day.
    With my new, more relaxed approach, I tagged onto the back of these three guys for a quite spirited run over the Chartreuse Massif, south of Lyon, early next morning -- they were in convoy, and so I didnt wish to disturb them. However, I did notice that experienced European drivers know exactly the ride height of their vehicles, and the allowable kerb height -- I obviously have neither the knowledge, or skill to drape my CSi nose anywhere near as close as they guys. Anyway, it was all going quite steathily well, until I started my car to depart, and it caused a few 'snapped necks' in the coffee area -- haha.

Headed down to the south coast, and hung out for a few days, then on to Rome -- decided to take the Autostrada, rather than the more scenic (but bone jarring) coast road. Used the ring road around Florence, on an early Saturday morning, and was tempted to press on a bit quickly. Passing me were two S-Class saloons (one model back from current), both black, both German registered, both single drivers, with suit bag hanging in the rear. So I figured they were two opera buffs, or similar. Takes about 30 seconds to realise these guys are either (a) very good, or (b) drive this bit of Autostrada quite regularly. I slot in behind them -- they are in convoy, never separated by more than one car, and super, super smooth -- Florence to Rome in under 2 hours. Top fun.
    Rome to Sorrento without incident, but then a couple of repeat performances from Sorrento to Salerno and return. Traction control on, stay in second and just listen to the Magnaflows !. I had to stop to take pictures, or I would have fallen off the edge!

More seriously, this part of the trip was made most brilliant by new Bilsteins all around, and front camber plates. No more of that stomach-swooping when landing in hollow bits of the road - this is as tight and controlled as I think the E31 can get. Mine now has pretty much all new suspension (incl. bushings front & rear) -- and whereas I used to be concerned when the AHK lit up (usually on the autoroutes), now I take it as a measure of my enthusiasm on the B-roads.
    Another great trip (think i ruined a set of tyres with my enthusiasm). Home via the Frijus Tunnel in the autumn -- magnificent.

Mileage -- quite a bit
    Fuel -- in Euros, cant be arsed with maths
    Thanks -- Gerry
    Fun -- heaps

Cheers
    Keith

So I was considering this years (northern hemisphere) summer road trip, and realised I'd not gotten around to posting my last couple of Euro-sojourns.
    The 2012 trip was inspired by some of the BBC's 'Top Gear' lunacy -- the run across the Transfagarasan highway in Romania. Had a quiet word to a colleague of mine, who just happened to be "on his way home, via Heathrow", and thought he'd take a few weeks off. Much respect to his wife, who released him from family duties to blast across Europe with a college mate. After a quick look at Google Maps, decided we'd make it in a day and a half -- so off we go with a satnav, 2 cell phones, and a "booking.com" account (no affiliation!).
    Well, we only made about 1,500 kms (950 miles) on the first day -- but thankfully, some of was on the German A3, so unrestricted. Whilst travelling in the second fastest lane, you do expect to get passed by some of the better known marques, but at one stage we were doing about 240km/hr, and a guy in an Audi A4 strolled straight passed us in the outside lane, chatting to his wife and kids. I'm sure its matter of practice, but you realise that at those speeds, you are covering a kilometre every 15 seconds, so your "event horizon" happens pretty quickly.

Pressed on to Sibiu the next day, and quickly realised that European Union road funding stop as soon as you exit Hungary. There is evidence of a motoway being built in Romania, but the local road surface quality certainly keep speed down. We did a day exploring in the Carpathians, and it is a truly beautiful part of the world. Onto the Highway, we had taken some local advice to go fairly early in the morning, and not on a weekend -- which would help save random holiday-makers and picknicker from us, and vice versa. The 'Top Gear' chaps drove this route in a 911, a Gallardo and a Merc (from memory) -- so we have bought a 2 tonne battle cruiser, to see if we can replicate the experience !

Couple of test runs, at about 80%, and then 2 flat out runs up the mountain -- traction control off, and conspicuous lack of Armco railings. Did this until the clutch smelt funny, then went for lunch !. Top fun indeed.

This is what the satnav says you' ve been doing -- and the reflection of the two grinning idiots involved.

Left Romania, heading for the Adriatic. Had a few issues due to the combination of a Romanian visitors permit, an EU registered car, and two guys with Australian passports -- so we pressed on through Serbia, but decided not to try our luck getting through Bosnia Herzegovina.
    Great drive down the coast to Split -- many thanks to fellow 8er Duje, for local advice and offers of assistance. Pity we didnt get a chance to meet.
    Like my other holidaty reports, they start off really well -- and full of details. This one is the same, but now we spend 2 weeks getting back to London, via such cultural activites as Ferrari museum ar Maranello, the opera in Verona, few days in Florence, then home via Monte Carlo, the Cotes du Rhone and Burgundy -- see map. Much more influenced by driving for a few hours in the late morning -- then doing long lunches, with as much local wine as we can.

For the technically minded, approx 6,000 km (4,000 mls)and this trip tested out
    stainless steel brake lines - brilliant
    front bushes on rear trailing arms -- more next post on this
    PIAA lights -- again, more in next post

More soon
    Cheers Keith

Am currently insured with Aviva (through Swintons brokerage).
    Am trying to get additional driver coverage for a friend, for upcoming Euro-jaunt. We plan to share the driving.
    Now, here's the problem -- Swintons say they cannot get coverage for him, as he is not a UK resident ! I questioned the fact that millions of people who are in the UK are not actually resident, but somehow must be able to legally get insurance -- but got a blank response
    Anyone come across this before, or anyone have a useful insurance broker who might be able to get a sensible answer ?
    Thanks Keith

Zitat von 8Tech;102181

44 cylinders of global warming and not a stock exhaust in sight. What with those and 16 cylinders of X5 and another 6 in the Z4, 66 cylinders all warming up to move them around is like thunder. :harhar:

Proud of my contribution of 12 of those cylinders with Magnaflows + crosspipe

Was looking at Dave's post regarding the CSi for sale

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3774804.htm

There have been previous posts on Insp II costs -- but this one looks to be way up there!

"£4,000 Inspection II service Carried Out March 2012 At BMW Wellsway Bath Consisting Of Spark Plugs, All Oils & Filters, All Ancillary Belts & Drive Belts Tensioners & Rollers, New Radiator, Shock Absorber Dust Covers, M Sport Discs, Pads, Sensors, Microfilter, Brake Fluid."

Having proved yourself more than up to the task so far Gerry, next year will be London - Bucharest, returning via the Transfagarasan Highway and a bunch of other roads that I haven't planned as yet (think Top Gear, but without the helicopter camera-man).

OK, so y'all urbane Europeans may think this a little ho-hum, but I had a blast and wanted to share (so I posted on this board as well as the US one)
    Got the chance to spend a couple of weeks in Europe with the CSi.

Car was wearing a brand new paint job in correct Oxford Green metallic, courtesy of John at JC Autobody, and was all MOT'ed, serviced and prepped for the journey courtesy of Gerry at Phoenix.
    Early Sunday morning run down to Folkestone, no traffic, no drama and straight onto the EuroTunnel. Only just made it due the available width inside the carriages, luckily I didn't fit my set of 18" MK's that I was thinking I'd put on for the journey.
    First autoroute stop showed that it wasnt just me who'd decided to have a quick Sunday morning run in sunny France. McLaren (although I think its a copy), Porsche, Aston, Lambo had all decided to show up. Thought i'd get a picture, to see "does my bum look big in this" -- Ferraristi on this board will identify the other rear end, but I think its a 430. Keen eyed viewers will see a van full of spanners at the back of the shot -- two beautifully original Countachs had made the trip, but one was being pulled to bits (half shaft out), as it had obviously failed to proceed. I dont know whether the guy wielding the spanners was the French equivalent of the AA, or the Countach guys bring their own mechanic ?

Stuck with the autoroutes down past Paris to Orleans. Must admit, had to concentrate quite a bit on the first days drive, haven't actually driven this beast for ages (more on that later), and I'm in right hand drive car, in a left hand drive country !. Paying the tolls is fun though, and also confuses the toll booth staff when this long arm appears from across the front of the vacant drivers seat, clutching a fistful of Euros. If you think its easy, try doing something useful from the passengers side of the car (although none of you guys & gals would be passengers in your own 8). Now I know that most modern vehicles are a bit smaller than an 8, so they tend to "hang over" car parking bays a bit

Hit my straps on the next day, and ran down to Montpellier. Great satnav directions as I set off - "in 351 miles, turn left" - brilliant. Climbed over the Central Massif, about 1400 metres elevation - car feels slightly sluggish, and I dont know whether its the elevation, or the 10% corn that Shell put in their 95RON fuel ?. Copped my first ticket, as satnav squealed for a fixed camera (detectors are highly illegal), and I was in the fast lane so couldn't do much about it. My day finished just south of the Millau Viaduct, which I'd always wanted to see, and while I dont espouse using a camera when driving, it is an utterly stunning piece of engineering/architecture.

Hung around the south of France for a while, then did the run across to Rome, along as much of the coast as I could. The French autoroutes had been utterly stunning in terms of surface, signage, and that very European thing - lane discipline. As you pass Cannes and Monaco, the Ferraris start to kick in, plus the odd McLaren Mercedes -- none of these boys are doing anything less than 200 km/hr!. The more sedate car of choice seems to be the Audi S6 estate around this part of the journey, although none of these can be classed as tardy, especially the V10 versions with about 430 hp.

Wandered through the central part of Italy, and started to get a handle on Italian parking -- it seems the parking bays are smaller than the French versions. Yes, I'm the guy who parks a long way from everyone else (but so are some of you, I know it). I'm proud of the very dark shot (Florence), where I managed to reverse park into a street bay, with only about one foot of space at each end.

Really enjoyed the Italian lakes, up and down some very very skinny roads, great weather, gorgeous scenery. You know its a narrow road when you can put your hand out of the window and touch the rock face which the road is carved into (remember my driving seat is on the wrong side). Came west over the Alps, and Mont Blanc looked beautiful on a sunny day, then through the big tunnel and back into France. Ferrari must have been moving their new stock, as coming into Italy saw a convoy of 12 brand new cars, I think 612's and 430's -- even though the tunnel is speed limited, they made a fabulous noise.

Things get a bit blurry from here, as wine consumption increased over the next couple of days, but found my way back to Paris, and then sadly, back to London, where car went into storage until the next time.

Overall
    Map shows about 3,000 miles, but with a few excursions the total was closer to 4,000
    Saw 12.9 litres/100kms just once (approx 22 mpg), with fuel at about Euro 1.60 per litre, you can do the math
    Cannot imagine doing this in an autobox, just love the sound and grunt of second gear as you accelerate up twisty mountain bits
    I understand some of the obsession with getting better brakes for these cars -- even the CSi feels under-braked in the mountains
    I also understand that headlight technology has moved on -- the lighting is woeful
    Magnaflow music (with custom crossover) in the countless tunnels
    Someone work out how to stick an iPad2 into the central console - I used mine as satnav, music etc. I wished for duct tape.
    French autoroutes, speed limit 130km/hr -- this is ~3000 rpm in 6th. Drop into 5th, and stab throttle - you are almost on the torque peak, and then highly illegal stuff happens very very quickly

Didn't see another 8 for the entire trip, but wherever the car stopped there were plenty of people who wanted to know what it was
    "Dodici - mamma mia" was common
    Again, massive thanks to Gerry

Cripes !
    The numbers show that 25 CSi's have gone "missing" in the last 3 years.
    2007 Q4 shows 103 licensed, 24 SORN, Total 127
    2010 Q4 shows 73 licensed, 29 SORN, Total 102

At this rate, the original 150-odd cars will be extinct soon!

Gentlemen
    Somewhat underwhelmed by the quality of the responses here -- although I thought the Pistonheads advertised price would keep the worst of the tyre kickers away.
    I'd really like to see this car go to an enthusiast and/or fellow board member, as otherwise it will go into storage.
    This car is beautifully sorted, and no more expensive to run or maintain than a normal E31.
    Have a look down the back of the sofa -- you never know how much might be down there. I will entertain offers by PM.
    Cheers Keith

Its been done recently in the USA (California), I believe with M5 engine/drive train. Company may have been called AutoWerks -- it was written up in one of the BMW mags within the last 12 months, but I dont recall which one.
    Apparently an enormous effort in fabrication, fitting, fettling and especially getting the various vintages of control modules to talk to each other.
    Cost undisclosed, but WAY high -- suggestions of 2 to 3 times actual value of car