Beiträge von E31

Just to support arnie really; hot soapy water is powerfull enough, yet kind and gets suprising results.

I use the soapy water on the door cards and under dash area to keep things clean.

After using soapy water, treat the leather with a 'food' (not cleaner) to restore suppleness and replenish lost oils.

I do a lot of detailing, but have had some disasters with leather and the dye coming out. From this day forward, if soapy water doesn't cut the mustard, I would take leather to a pro - so if they mess it up, its their problem.

UK Zero; Tiles are in no way OTT and look spot-on. I would love something similar if my house was a 'keeper'.

Martin; That is the cleanest train workshop I have ever seen. We in the UK still use sheds that once had Steamers in them!

Zitat von Herminator;77692

Something here that may be of interest to anyone that plays computer games, it is a car forum after all, so there's got to be some driving game fans.
    A little preview of something I've been working on ;)

http://driver.uk.ubi.com/teaser/

Herminator; I remember the original DRIVER, and played that to death. But Grand Theft came along and destroyed DRIVER overnight.

What has the latest DRIVER got over GTA IV?

Zitat von Argonaut;78081

some games yes, mainly FPS such as Doom

I remember Doom. I had Wolfenstein3D on my 386 which was the Doom prequel!

So many wasted hours ;)

Big time gamer here. Mostly driving simulation.

Started in the eighties with a Sinclair Spectrum and Codemasters publications like Crazy Cars on cassette!

In 1992 moved onto a PC (a 386) with Indionapolis 500 and Stunt Car Driver.

Then, on day of release, the original Gran Turismo. Followed by GT2, GT3, GT4 and i'm itching for GT5, just announced for November 2nd this year.

I'm interested in the current Forza vs. Gran Turismo debate.

My playstation is used for three games alone - Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty and the Gran Turismo series..... end of!

One day I will grow out of it! :aetsch:

Used to play 'Driver' in my PS1 days (with good memories of it) but it has sort of passed me by lately....

The photo could be better in order to assess how a car sits; for two reasons...

a) The concrete car park does not appear level and therefore wheels are doing different things.
    b) All lines in the background have a slope to the right, downwards, possibly generating optical illusions.

I would go to an industrial estate and find a snooker table car-park with a uniform background.

Not a great supporter of the modification scene, but with that photo alone, yes, the front looks a tad high.

Zitat von TallTony;77698

The 406 Coupe was a nice design, but let down by an extremely poor choice of wheels and lack of attention to detail here and there. For me the biggest fault was the 'tucked in' nature of the wheels into the arches.

Spot on; Couldn't agree more! The 406 Coupe body (in its own right) is a thing of such beauty and grace, but to me they have always had an awkward stance due to wheels and ride heights. Even if you do fit 'fancy' wheels, they then look uncomfortable - as if the wheels are trying to outdo the graceful body.

Compared to the 406 Coupe, the 8 has such typically germanic aggression - of which I am a fan. Also - the 8 has the coolest pop up lights in the world. Fact! :cool:

Zitat von 8Tech;77639

Try GSF car parts.

Be carefull with GSF too.

I fitted an oil pressure switch from GSF last year on the Golf. Where the metal threaded part was crimped to the plastic switch body, oil was seeping out within a week. An oil covered engine bay and floorpan later meant I was not happy.:motz:

I now annoy staff on my GSF counter and ask to examine all parts before purchase - checking for quality of plastic, welds, paint or brand name etc dependant on part type.

There are some bargains within both GSF and ECP; you just have to strike that balance between cost/quality. I dont mind running that risk with the Golf. The 8er is different though and I like stuff with a BMW roundall on. :oops:

Zitat von Argonaut;77586

I hear that GSF can deliver good quality replacements (as read on BF, ferret101's repair story)

I'm not a member of BF - this is my only BMW forum.

If you do get the GSF part, post a pic up - be intersting to see the differences and who its made by.

My bi-mettalic spring was date stamped 1995 with a BMW logo so its the original part - so I may be using the GSF item in the not too distant future.... its on borrowed time!

When mine did the same as yours, mine just kissed the red section and I had the same horrible gut feeling that I had done something bad. However, nothing has cropped up since and its been good as gold.

You acted on the warning and the warning is designed to give you time to do what you did; so I wouldn't worry too much.

If there is steam and a loss of coolant, then I would start praying against bad things.

Indeed, the owners manual states the temp needle can be anywhere just 'upto' the red - presumably allowing for hot climates.

Since the repair above my temp needle has always been dead vertical 50% Hot/Cold under all conditions.

Sorry to hear your troubles and good luck. :top:

Zitat von reinhard;77393

"recyclers will only supply the best quality bits" - bollocks :rofl:

:laugh:

Yeah, some breakers have given me some 'best quality bits' in my time!

A radiator sprayed black does not always make a quality part!

Excellent. Thanks for the video.

6k for cracked leather and milky driving lamps? Mileage was never mentioned. Bet that was 100k+ to get the fretting on the trans oil cooler pipe.

Not complaining as it puts the price of my 8er even higher! :harhar:

Zitat von stevep840;77339

.....interestingly they have no emissions readings for a 91 850 so guess where the CATS are going very soon followed by fitting some ENGEL bypass pipes:harhar:

MoT cat regs are for vehicles post August 1992, so your car will only have to meet the much more relaxed 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC.

If my oil burning Mk2 Golf can achieve that, i'm sure a de-catted 850 can!

Zitat von robmarrs;77325

.....I would expect a bill of £500+ for a days booking from the discussions I was having, which if two of you split is perhaps not to bad. He did two the day I went, a scooby was up before me for the same mag.

Blimey! In my view it would need 10 of us to get that price sensible! No wonder magazines cost a fiver these days!

Its the warehouse and uniform white backdrop that do it.

Loving the Alpina's too :cool:

That E92 overlay is incredible!

Also explains why the E92 is the ONLY current BMW design that I like!

Sometimes I think other cars looks like an 8.... but if its not pillar-less, the argument falls flat on its face!

The pillar-less part, with all windows down, is the most appealing part for me about the 8.

This sunday gone I parked next to a 2000CS at our local classic car show and we both had our windows down. It was kinda cool that mine echoed that of BMW years past.

It is why I think the current 6 series (with a B-pillar) comes nowhere near :grin2: