Beiträge von violetduck

:Yeah the Khamsin is lovely, but very rare! I think I've only ever seen one of those!

The Shamal is OK, one of those italian cars which if it doesn't feel like going for a drive, it won't! The electrics are something to behold...I turned the radio on once and the electric drivers window rolled down by itself...:laugh:

Took it to the garage and the guy was like 'what did you expect, the radio to ACTUALLY work in it?' says it all really :roll:

Thanks Rcrad. BTW do you think it could be the air con limit switch (sword)? I just find it odd re; a valve failing, because if it has, surely it would fail in either open or closed, and not allow me control of hot or cold? however, i can still get both.

Do you have any idea where i can find the limit switch? Cheers!

Cheers Reinhard for your help (again!)

I've been thinking over lunchtime, what if its a variable resistor in the control unit in the dash...like a hedgehog? of so, that would explain the very quick turn from ice cold to hot rather than just hot or just cold no matter what the turn of the wheel internally. Plus, as (I would assume) there are two var. resistors, the one at the passenger side is still fully functional, just the one at the driver side isnt?

Hey Reinhard thanks very much!

I think I would wince at the thought of me doing it myself...unless it was INCREDIBLY straightforward or someone had step by step instructions :D

Hey Reinhard...thanks for your help!

now I'm not particuarly mechanically minded...so is this a case of taking it to a mechanic? lol! if so, how much of a job is it/are the bits expensive (thats a stupid question, of course its expensive)! :laugh:

Cheers!

Zitat von TallTony;67697

nice pics ! Great colour.

Did just read that right... ?? You have mother who would take it upon herself to wash your car off her own back ?? :hmmmm: :laugh:

I used to get paid £3.50 for doing my mother's car on a saturday :devilchilli:

HAHA! I think she still feels guilty for scratching my Shamal...ironically scratching the 8 as well!! :laugh:

BTW...is that an evil dancing red banana or what??

Hey again!

Right. On the way to work in the sticks today, I had the air conditioning on. I usually have it around 18 on the dial, with the A/C on and the auto recirculating on as well.

However...it started blowing hot (prob. around 24/26) when it was on 18. I tried fiddling around with the controls, but it still remained hot. It was only when I put it to around 17 and below it went freezing cold.

BTW...this only happens at the driver's side. the passenger side temp. control is absolutely fine, and blows cold when selected.

Anyone had this before, or does anyone suggest where I might start? :dontknow: I was thinking either the wheel itself, or maybe a temp sensor somewhere??

FYI...I had a full a/c service 3 weeks ago, new condenser and new aux. fan fitted.

ANY help would be great! Cheers guys! :eek:

Zitat von keenan;67687

Hey violetduck - I understand completely and to be honest, that would be my main reason for a change myself. I'm at 109k miles and a lower mileage model would be nice. However, the miles on these cars is not really an issue (as far as I'm aware anyway!). You could end up paying a good lot of money, for a same year, less mileage model but then could potentially be faced with "upgrade" costs which you've already done on your own car! It's a tough one alright - you have a devil on your right shoulder telling you sell, and an angel on the other telling you to keep it! :devilchilli:........:mrgreen-angel:

Exactly. Oh and I forgot before to mention that I've had all the tie rod ends, track rod ends, control bushes, D-bushes, wheel hubs..and a new horn!

If I did sell, someone would be getting a very well looked after car. My biggest worry is that I buy a low mileage 8, and its needing it all doing all over again. It might have less miles...but its still a (min) 10 yr old car!

I am not going to use the Shamal as a daily driver, I don't fancy being on first name terms with the AA man!

...Maybe I should just buy a 1 Series :laugh:

Hey Sparkles,

Nice looking car! I was going to go for a Barbados Green one before, but the only thing that puts me off is the colour ironically! Although...I will definitely think about it! :harhar:

Hey Keenan!

Yeah I am inclined to keep it, I would like a new one, but the only reason would be for less miles. I'm having trouble getting my head around paying a premium for a car the same age! Also, after having so much done to it, it would be a real pain in the ass to have to replace it all again! most of the stuff is just age related, not due to the mileage!

Ah the dilemma!!!

Hey chaps! :winkwink:

I think I have found another 8er that I want. However, I would need to sell mine first (alas the pot of money stops somewhere!)

So...what price do you guys think is fair for mine?

Here are the details (pictures on my profile):

1997 840ci Sport Individual
    Canyon Red Metallic (no rust or damage at all)
    Light parchment leather (I think, it is an individual interior with piped-front seats)
    128,000 miles, used reguarly.
    I am the 4th owner, 1st being BMW Shrewsbury. I have also made contact with the 2nd owner who owned her until 2004 to get previous history.
    full BMW service history, serviced every 10,000 miles
    totally original, no mods, extras, original toolkit, fire extinguisher, etc.
    even comes with the original sales brochure! All books, service, radio, user manual all present.

had a large amount of work done over last 10 months...including:

• Bilstein inserts at front w/camberplates (by Gerry)
    • Powerflex bushes
    • totally new sunroof (metal lid and all mechanicals, inserts, rollers, seals, etc)
    • 4 new tyres
    • 2x new front calipers
    • 2x front discs
    • 4x brake pads all-round
    • all-new brakelines
    • new fuel filters
    • new BMW exhaust fitted at BMW
    • new a/c condenser and aux. fan
    • 2x (!) air conditioning service
    • oil service
    • total interior restoration - professional leather cleaning and protection
    • new front lower bumper (sports) as previous one was damaged
    • new OEM mats
    • full body polish and protection

I think that's it!

If I don't sell it, then fair enough, especially with the amount of work and time I've put into her...but I have seen this other one and well...you know the rest!

Any feedback would be great! thanks! :eek:

Hi Angus!

I had exactly the same leak on mine 5 weeks ago. I changed out the condenser totally and that solved the problem. Luckily, the pipes didn't need doing.

A new OEM condenser is £145.

Hope that helps!