Beiträge von violetduck

Hey chaps!

I need opinions on this one. I've got my beloved 8 which I love very much...

However...

I want another BMW. I've wanted to own 3 cars in my life, an 8, a Z1, and a Z8.

I'll be looking to buy around about September, and I don't know whether I should get a companion for the 8 or not! :dontknow:

So...the options: -

Keep my 8 and buy another 8
    Keep my 8 and buy a Z1
    Keep my 8 and buy a Z8 (and seriously upset the other half & become a statistic of domestic abuse)
    Keep my 8 (selling it is not optional ;-)) and getting a ...?

Let me know !

cheers, James.

Hey :winkwink:

Does anyone know where I can get hold of another head unit, I think the var. resistor in mine for the volume has gone...and as my soldering skills are like watching a gorilla mix pancake batter, I think it best just to get a new one :P

FYI - BMW quotes £450 + VAT :ahhhhh:

Any ideas? Ooo....maybe even one with a CD player built in! However, the head unit has to be OEM

Thanks guys! :top:

hey guys thanks very much for all your replies!

Sorry for the delay in posting, I've been away with work.

Well, I got the aux. fan working, it was a fuse and a loose wire which was the problem.

As for the ASC light, I've not got to the bottom of that yet, but I will be asking for the bulb to be changed.

ALSO...I am getting new Bilstein inserts at the front next week w/camberplates, so looking forward to seeing how that changes things! At the moment, I feel a bit like Ellen MacArthur going up and down over the waves!!

Can anyone vouch that the Bilsteins and camberplates will make a difference? I'm getting kinda excited about getting them on now :D

hey angus...

thanks for your thread & pics on the condenser and radiator! really helpful :)

I've just had the condenser put in, a new aux fan and fuse, all works perfectly. I'm getting 4 Degrees Celsius inside the car, which is bloody cold!!!

I did pull the carcass of a sparrow out of the old condenser though, so after that, I definitely second the call for a grille of some kind for the open-air scoop on the lower front splitter...please someone make one!

Hi all :winkwink:

OK, after some reading of the manual for the 840, I came across p.73:

"Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is an extended form of Automatic Stability Control Plus Traction (ASC+T). The system is in operation whenever the engine has been started. The telltale light in the instrument cluster goes out after the engine has been started".

This is my problem...I don't get this light coming on as I start the car, or ever! Also, when I press the DSC button next to the gear lever, no light comes on, either above the button or on the cluster panel....could this be a fuse...or something more sinister?!? :ahhhhh:

Also, had the auxiliary fan replaced today along with the condenser. The fan, from what I can tell, is not working still! Anyone else know what it could be? When I am at a standstill in the car, the idling revs increase very slightly, only by about 100rpm (approx) for maybe 15 seconds, then drops back down every minute or so when standing still. It has only started to do this since having the condenser and fan replaced...:help:

Any ideas ?? Cheers!

credit crunch...tell me about it!

when I damaged mine, the whole lot came off, then I ran over it :(

do you still have the rubber protector on underneath...or are you getting a new one/leaving it off?

I had to get mine replaced after a slightly raised bollard in Canary Wharf outside my flat!!

Mine cost me ---

£323.41 (from BMW main dealer!)
    £100.00 (painted)
    £180.00 (fitted)

total - £603.41

If you want the name of the BMW main dealer I use, let me know! they give a fair discount ;)

:winkwink::winkwink:

Firstly, I don't know what I would do without this place haha! I think I would be at the mercy of the little gremlin (service manager) at the BMW garage I use :laugh:

But seriously...

I have just bought a new a/c condenser (BMW OEM) and I am a bit baffled. The two pipes which come from the front box on the old condenser are knackered. They are corroded, and leaking refrigerant out of the seals.

So, on the sound advice of Gerry, I've got a new condenser as opposed to replacing pipes and attaching them to an old condenser, only to find out that the old condenser starts leaking!

Now...my question :harhar:

As there are two pipes out of the box on the condenser, does anyone know the pipes which these relate to on OEM diagrams, or the part numbers (a bit unlikely but worth a try!)? I and the garage are having issues trying to find out which pipes it actually needs.

BTW the price of the pipes..... O M G :ahhhhh:

help is always ALWAYS appreciated! cheers guys! :)

Zitat von sparklesmcgraw;66156

Violet, when are you next in Aberdeen? Fancy meeting up at some point? The 'jolt' can then be compared.

:winkwink:

haha aye can do! I'm around today and tomorrow evening, then off working in Leeds till tuesday

hey thanks for the replies guys!

I'm going to get the aux. fan done tomorrow, having the O-rings looked at on the condenser as some UV dye was put in to trace a leak - came pouring out the front of the condenser on the small box bottom left (as you look at it from the front of the car). failing that, a new condenser, but thought i would try the O-rings first.

The car hasn't had a Inspection 1 or 2 done for a while, it was stood for 10 months, and so only did an oil service as that was the next service type due(a bit of a stickler for doing it in order :P). I was a bit concerned about the stutter though (like a jolt).

Would it be worth checking the error codes? would that show anything up? or should i just get a major service done, even though its only 2000 miles since the oil service and the green lights (bar one) are still on?

well it's not too shocking, just like a jolt haha! i cant really explain it...im sure someone else can do a better job if they've had it!

i was putting the judder down to characteristics of the engine too.

under 40k eh? lookin good! Although these engines can go for hundreds and thousands, just as long as they are maintained well!

:winkwink:

Hey guys :winkwink:

Right...I was driving to get the Aux. fan fitted into the car, and whilst waiting at the traffic lights (been driving from cold about 5-10 minutes) I felt a jolt, which felt a little like the engine missed a bit.

Thinking I was imagining it, I carried on, got to the garage, all was fine. Setting off back from the garage to home, it did it again, but only once in about 15 minutes!

Anyone got any ideas? The idle can be a very slightly rough when first started, but only for a couple of minutes then it's fine. The temp. gauge is normal FYI.

Its the M62 engine (4.4) in '97 840 sport.

Any suggestions? :hmmmm: cheers! :)

Zitat von anguswolfendale;66038

That's my plan - I have the interior of the car spread around my living room at the moment as I am cleaning and restoring the leather and it seemed much easier to do it out of the car. God, those front seats are HEAVY!

HAHA tell me about it, the front seats are a nightmare to get out and move about! once you get it all done though it is worth it.

FYI - the foam padding used inside the seats in '90s BMW's contains an agent that leaches through to the leather (affected E30/E31/E34 mainly) whereby if you get the foam in the seat moderately damp or wet it dries out and leaches a chemical (byproduct of the aging foam) which causes yellowy blotchy staining on the leather as it dries. The only way to remove that is to get recolouring done to the affected leather.

So, to avoid, don't wet the seat too much with water/cleaner etc! Its not a nice experience getting it off ;)