Beiträge von violetduck

Hi all,

My 840 Sport has an issue (I think) and if anyone can help that would be great!

At high speed, mainly on the motorway, say 70mph, I've noticed that the front of the car can bounce a little up and down. It seems fine at lower speeds, and I've tried to push the front of the car down whilst standing still (Duh! ;-)) and there is hardly any movement at all.

Any ideas? Cheers guys! :driver:

Thanks David, that's really helpful!

I found that when I had all the track rod ends replaced it became a lot different to drive, especially after getting out of my Corsa hire car! I suppose wandering would be a good way to describe it!

I'm hoping replacing the track rod ends will sort out a weird noise from the driver side front wheel, I can't feel it through the wheel, but sounds a little like rumbling, only very quiet, only on rough roads, and only after being run for 30 mins plus??

When I get the car back it needs 2 tyres at the rear, only 3mm left on the Michelin Pilots, I was thinking about a different brand but not sure...

any thoughts?

tell me about it! they only put 2 bolts back, so it was only held on with 2 bolts!!!! It could have killed someone quite easily...lucky noone was behind!

Yep they have admitted liability, so they are paying for it to be fixed. Total price:- £3,990.36. Now that's some expensive mistake!

Hi all...

My 840ci 1997 is currently in the garage getting the sunroof fixed after a pretty horrific accident involving the sunroof flying off at 60mph! The bodyshop I took it to for the rust on the lid didn't put it back on properly...you don't want to know the cost of repairing that one!

Anyways, courtesy of Gerry @ Phoenix I've bought some Polyurethane bushes for the front upper control arms, and the anti roll bar drop links.

As the 8 is in the shop for a while (!) can anyone tell me what I can expect when I get her back...i.e. any difference in feel/driving (good or bad) from adding the above?

I'll keep you posted on the saga! :grin2:

Totally Agree....Fantastic car as it is.

BTW...Mine's an 840, same colour as yours, Canyon Red Met (I think...same interior too!)

Have you seen any other ones? Yours is the first I've seen the same as mine in this colour & interior.

I'm in Aberdeen & North Yorks, what is the Scottish 8 community like? Many people about?

;)

Hey Sparkles! I wondered who owned that lovely blue 8 going about Aberdeen, I'm up here too; I've a deep red 840 sports.

I've just had all the leather restored in the car by a fantastic guy called Paul from http://www.leatherrevive.co.uk...he is based in Lancs but does travel about.

Before you go and buy anything to do with the leather, give him a call. He gave me invaluable advice in getting my interior done (needed restoring, etc and didn't cost the earth either). I'll get some pics up on here before and after when I get it back from being serviced.

Cheers! :)

Hey thanks for the reply Schnitz! I've saved that page on eBay to the favs folder!

Because....

Well, I've had a chat with a v. helpful mechanic(!) and he has said it might not be the shocks, as they have about an inch play on them when they are hanging free (obv. because they aren't designed to be driven like that..unless it sheds about 2 tons!)

I've been told to get the thrust arm bushes changed and the anti-roll bar drop links done, which will get done next week before changing the inserts.

I forgot to say that the weird rumbling/bouncing noise isn't present when setting off, only after driving for about 30 mins (and then only over rough surface). its like hearing a tin dustbin rolling down a hill very far away (great analogy eh? ;))

I'll get pics sorted of the 8 ASAP, its a Canyon Deep Red Metallic with touchstone white leather piped red, all black headlining, tan dashboard, etc. Looks pretty sweet :)

I'll be at Gaydon in August, should be cool!

Hi all, I am a new user to the forums, indeed to the site, and I hope to be quite prolific ;) so please be gentle the first time!

On my '98 840 individual, when I go over a rough surface, usually at reasonably low speed, say, under 50mph, I can hear a rumbling sound from the driver's wheel. the front seems a bit soft as well, as it rises and falls a little too much at the front end, a bit like my Jag E-type (concerning!)

I put the car up on the ramp, and found that there was some give in the driver's wheel when you lifted it (I'm assuming a new shock needed?)

Spoke to BMW, a grand total of £1,104.03 for two new front struts (apparently sealed, no inserts allowed)! I know parts ain't cheap, but still! :shock:

In any case, I've been doing some digging about online and on the forums, and apparently you can change the insert for a bilstein sports insert (same as that on the csi).

Just wanting thoughts from anyone who has done this on a 840 sport, or any advice offered is most welcome before I open my chequebook at good old BMW! :top:

Cheers!