Beiträge von Trono

This is a bit off topic, but one of the reasons that I keep taking my 8 on daily basis even though I have bad conscience for adding unnecessary mileage.

Yesterday after work I was rolling slowly through downtown in the rush. It was sunny and warm, so I drove with all windows down listening to the radio when I heard someone scream from the sidewalk "Nice ride, man!" .. Checked my mirror and I saw at least three or four people turning and looking after my car. Just one of several positive feedbacks you get in a car like these :)

Afterwards it was only a pleasure filling her up with gas :driver:

Thanks! :mrgreen:

When I actually went to a professional store they had some special cleaning products that I bought. Expensive, but it cleaned them real good. Got them back to how they were when I bought the car. Up close there's still many dark spots, so I will probably look into a professional refurbish later.

Right now my 8 is my daily driver too, but it's in storage all winter and I try to catch the bus to and from work. Although it's been little of that too now that the summertime is returning. It is just too tempting to just into the 8 already standing in the garage, but toll booths and parking tickets in the city centre every day is way too expensive here that I can keep driving it. Besides I already had the drivers side repainted once after another car made some nice new scratches along the side while I was parked...

I bought it in June last year and it had traveled 137 000 km, now just over 144k. Since it's mostly shorter trips and in the city it's a hard hit on the MPG. Been averaging around 17 to 18l per 100km.

I have a '70 beetle as a second car, but I am planning to sell that and get a cheap 3 or 5 series as a more daily driver and winter car.

I am a fairly new user here and I bought my first 8 less than a year ago, but I want to add that I am also visiting the forum almost daily. I read the new threads and find a great deal of help in just searching around, finding both old and new guides for a lot of technical things on our cars.

That being said my technical knowledge is still limited. I am here to learn and I read all the guides with big interest even though I am not replying directly.

I also know Noggie several times have tipped the Norwegian car owners to register here, but as mentioned maybe the forum should be open too, at least for reading.

Edit: I have also noticed that some areas of the forum is still closed for me. And the BMW 8 Series FAQ area is completely empty.

True that.
    I originally posted out of curiosity to see if my car was way off or not. I know a lot of things can come in to play and make a difference on this kinds of tests so I'm not going to start pulling every part apart to get it below 7 seconds or what not..

On the other hand I'm always striving to have a car in perfect condition. But as I said I will try the original chips and my planned services to the car. If the time improves that just a bonus :)

Tonight I did several more runs on premium grade gas and using the stall trick. I also ran the time from 0-110 on the speedo instead of 0-100. 8.4 seconds average! :hmmmm:

Now I don't expect anyone to be able to answer why. I just thought I'd post the result. I guess the problem can be anything and I will start by changing the oil and filter on the gearbox and revert to the original chips.

I also bought Dynolicious for the iPhone. It's a unscientific app that uses the gyro and gps for measuring Speed, HP etc. I has gotten good reviews as "it is not exact, but it's close" and it seems to match my manually timed runs closely (did three of both). So if anyone's interested here is the graphs and info:

1993 BMW 850
    Acceleration

0-10 km/h: 0.51 sec
    0-20 km/h: 1.00 sec
    0-30 km/h: 1.67 sec
    0-40 km/h: 2.48 sec
    0-50 km/h: 3.30 sec
    0-60 km/h: 4.16 sec
    0-70 km/h: 4.93 sec
    0-80 km/h: 5.74 sec
    0-90 km/h: 7.02 sec
    0-100 km/h: 8.30 sec
    0-110 km/h: 9.63 sec

Elapsed Time
    60': 2.44 sec @ 38.8 km/h
    330': 6.73 sec @ 87.9 km/h
    1/8 mi: 10.23 sec @ 113.3 km/h

Miscellaneous
    Max Speed: 114.4 km/h
    Max Acceleration: 0.47 G's
    Peak Horsepower: 239 HP (Calculated engine power considering 17% drivetrain loss)

Alright, so my car isn't completely off then. Good to know! :top:
    My runs has been with regular 95 octane gas too by the way. I guess a premium grade would help a little which is also recommended with the chip upgrade.

I'll try the stall speed trick next time!

I've tried to search the forum for similar threads without luck. Lately I've done several timed acceleration runs with my car from 0 - 100kph.

I got the Wokke chips, but otherwise the car is in original condition, 93' 850ci M70 automatic. She got new NGK plugs, new oil (5w50), oil filter, air filters etc. this winter, and I now time my car to about 7.5-8 seconds from standstill to 100kph. Probably closer to 8 seconds considering the speedometer shows lower speeds. 8 seconds was somewhat slower than expected. Has anyone else timed their car lately or know what we can expect from these cars?

I am curious if this is what I can expect from a 15 year old engine or if it's time to start replacing other parts as well.

My car has only run 140k km/85k miles and with all services followed. On my to-do list is a transmission oil and filter change, but otherwise the current oil level is fine. I just topped her up from mid on the dipstick to max a few days ago.

Just thought I could update my thread here as I've completed a few updates during the winter.

Pics are taken today after a wash and polish. Also I polished it with black colored polish and I think the result was quite nice. A tad darker than the original black metallic paint.

Most of the winter went to fail searching my weird airbag problem that still isn't solved and some mechanical work, but for the visuals I've got
    - New center console
    - New three spoke steering wheel
    - Removed ash tray and installed a BMW cup holder.
    - Tinted tail lights

On my to-do list:
    - Get those rims cleaned up. I've tried a bunch of soaps and rim cleaners to get rid of that brake dust, but no go. They look horrible at the moment. I appreciate all tips and hints here :)
    - Re-strengthen and repaint the front spoiler and perhaps the hood.
    - New sunroof

Anyways, pics pics! The last one is how the rims looked under a year ago..

My original 850 with Wokke chips does about the same as Noggie's original setup.

Last summer I drove from Stavanger to Kristiansand which is 230km/140miles and averaging around 80-100km/h. I ended up with a consumption of just over 11l/100km. (25.5 miles/gallon(UK) or 21.5 miles/gallon(US))

It is seldom I get that low consumption on my car, but on that trip I used the cruise control a lot and just followed the traffic.

I think that's the regular bolts. There are three regular torx bolts and one tamper proof.

By the way. The hoses that are connected to the DKs were a pain in the a** to get off my car. I tried to heat them off, but no go. Ended up cutting off the end of two of them so I could just get the DKs out of the engine room. That made them to short to re-fit again, so I had to go off and buy some new hoses as well.

Zitat von Fatandre;75889

Those of you who have cleaned the DK? Is it hard to clean?

Most pdf guides are pretty easy to follow, but there's a big difference in how detailed they are. Only thing you gotta be careful with is not pulling out the whole commutator when pulling off the black metal housing. I used some wooden chopsticks I had laying around and put them in between the DK and the housing to keep the commutator in place while taking the house completely off. A few people also go as far as cleaning the gears inside the DK. I did not do that as I didn't have any noticeable problems before I started to clean them anyway.

For the tamper proof screws there might be some different types out there, but I used a small saw and just cut a slot for a regular flat screw driver. Took me about five minutes and it came right off. Then I took the screw to the local hardware shop and got some identical screws with a regular head.

Edit: It might be a good idea to buy some replacement gaskets for the DK -> Intake manifold. Mine felt like stiff paper and one of them broke in two. They cost like 2$ each.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/sho…&btnr=13_0180&hg=13&fg=15