Beiträge von Trono

Aha, that's nice to know! I was confused there myself of why I got those readings. Going to check this as soon as I get home from work today.

My car is built Nov 1993, don't know what color the sensors are. Any ideas where the module might be located on this?

Alright, thanks for your advices :)

I think I know someone who have an extra four spoke wheel laying around, so I guess the easiest thing to try first of all it to borrow that one. If that doesn't help I'll try to locate the SRS module.

Yeah, it seems to be a short circuit in the slip ring.

I just removed the steering wheel from the car and with the airbag removed I meassured the wires going through the slip ring again. I'm no electrical expert, but it seems to be giving the same amount of resistance from either pin 1(10) or 2(11) to both the pins on the airbag connector which I guess suggests a full short circuit..?

Thanks for your reply, been a while since I had time to work on this.

I fixed the horn, and as you said it had just taken a few bumps to the ground. Just needed replacement.

For the airbag I've now tried swapping the airbag with the same result, so I started checking the wires. I just started wondering about one thing. The airbag wire going through the slip ring has two connectors on the front side going into the airbag and a larger connector on the back side with four holes/pins.
    I noticed that I got a cross connection on both pin 1 and 2 on the connector. So both pin 1 and pin 2 gave a connection to both the pins on the connector going into the airbag. Is there supposed to be a paralell/cross connection here?

Have the Wokke chips installed myself and I love the difference on my car. I have what I think is the adaptive automatic which had a very unresponsive throttle (50% push on the throttle before engine started to rev) on the adaptive setting vs sports mode. With the chips installed the throttle is as sensitive in adaptive mode as in sports mode! Revs faster and bit more kick on the higher RPMs than before.

I had some problems with holding steady speeds in sports mode after the chips were installed, but have recived several mails from Wokke about this, so good chips and helpfull and good support afterwards :)

Thanks for your answers! I'll look more into them.

For now I've parked the car for the winter, but I've been out in the garage a few times just starting the engine and now it seems it be fine again. A bit rough the first minute when it's cold, but atleast both banks fires straight up. Weird enough.. I cleaned the battery poles earlier, noticed the +pole on one of the batteries was full of "goo", and I should have full batteries now though.
    I'll try again when it gets really cold outside and drop by the local BMW dealer as soon as spring arrives to get the codes read just in case though.

I've tried read the codes with carsoft, but for some reason it would only read the airbag and I think it was ZKE module. The rest didn't respond.

Btw, the engine has only travelled 140 000km, the car has been in very good care its whole life and all services has been followed. I know it doesn't really count for much when it comes to these faults, but maybe worth to be mentioned :)

Anyways, I'll keep you updated if the problem reoccures and what the error codes are when I get them read.

Seems the problem keeps getting worse.

Today the EML light came on once I started the engine and I had to re-start it three times before both cylinder banks finally started. I let it idle for a few minutes before driving off to the gas station just across the road. After filling the tank and starting the engine again Trans Failsafe popped up in the display for the first time.

Since it seems to getting worse over time I'm starting to think it might be one of the batteries that needs replacement. Going to check them both tomorrow and let it charge over night to see if that solves anything.

After this happened I drove to the closest exit, put the car into park, turned it off and back on again and the problem was gone. I revved the engine for a minute before putting it back in Drive and I was out driving for two hours afterwards with absolutely no problems.

Does it sound like a bad battery can be a possible cause to you guys?

Now that winter is starting to arrive and the temperatures are dropping down to the freezing point at night I've started to have some problems with my '93 850 when cold starting the engine.

The engine has no problem starting, but if I don't touch the throttle after starting it the RPM falls down till the engine almost stops. Like 200-300rpm and the battery light might start to flicker before it jumps up to about 1000rpm again. So far it hasn't died, but the RPM keeps jumping up and down and is generally ideling pretty rough.

The other and more concerning problem is that it seems to go into what I guess is limp mode if it has been standing still for a day or so. Only left side cylinder bank seems to start up or the right side cuts when the rpm drops. This has happened 6-7 times over the last weeks and two of the times I've also noticed the EML light coming on, but usually it stays off.

Just stopping and starting the engine again fires up both banks (and clears the EML light) and it only takes a few minutes idleing before it's completly fine and runs smooth. So I'm guessing it's not a big problem.

I'm about to put her into winter storage any day now, but if anyone has any suggestions over things I can check or what can be the issue please let me know. Would be nice to find the cause before I bring her back out for the spring :)

Hi, I really hope someone can help me with this.

On my 850cia the airbag light is on and the horn is not working. Untill now I've suspected the slip ring to be faulty. Today I took the steering wheel apart to check the slip ring before buying a new one, but to my suprise it was fine. Checked it on all connections with a voltmeter.

When I assembled everything back together I started noticing that one of the relays in the engine room is making a click sound when I press the horn, which I guess is proof that the slip ring is fine, and it leads me to think I got two separate problems here.

Now the horn is probably a minor problem. The alarm works fine, but I think I got two horns installed and maybe one of them is faulty. I'll check into that the next time I'm under the car.

The airbag problem confuses me though. I've run diagnostics with Carsoft and tried to delete the error several times. But the same error comes straight back.
    Error 2 - Ignition Circuit - Drivers side - Defective

Can anyone point me in any direction on as where to look and what to check next? Are there any relays for the airbag I should look at? :hmmmm:
    All the fuses are of course fine

Any help is appreciated here!

Edit: also if anyone can point me to where the main SRS controller/unit is located I could start checking connections from there to the steering wheel

Thank you!

I don't know if I'll be able to make it to any meetings this summer, atleast not down in Europe. First of all I'm going to spend some money getting the car in top shape. I'm planning a euro road-trip next summer though ;)

By the way, I know it's a far shot, but does anyone know it is possible to get the consoles in brushed steel? I would gladly trade mine for one :p

something like this

Hi all!

New user with a new car here!

I bought this beauty about three weeks ago. It's registered as a 95-mod, but from the papers I see it's built late '93. It was imported to Norway in 2003 and had one older owner since who've taken really good care of her.
    She's gone about 85k miles/135 000 km, so technically speaking she's still a young car, hehe ;)

There's a few minor problems I have to take care of though. The expansion tank started leaking. I left the car at BMW the other day for a pressure test and they ordered a new tank and water level sensor for me.
    The horn doesn't work and the airbag light is on, which I suspect is due to a faulty slip ring. I diagnosed the car it the error was ignition circiut on driver side. Going to check and fix this asap. There's also a few very minor rust spots on the sun roof which I hope to fix during the summer.

Except that she's in perfect condition. Just went through a technical test with no faults.

I'm going to do a few upgrades though. I'm thinking about getting the Wokke chips as I've heard a lot of positive things about those, and I'm going to either paint or replace the console. I don't like the wood/cork-ish look. If anyone knows if it's possible to get these anywhere please tell me :)

Anyways, here's pictures