Beiträge von Bob Beebe

Wow! I disconnected the ignition coil from the RH wing (LH bank, and the engine sounded the same i.e lumpy) Tried vice versa and engine wouldn't start. Bingo! try the dist caps and rotor arms. (PS - Thanks for the tips esp. on where the fuel pumps are!) I cannot believe that she could have run at all. the carbon centre brushes had totally eroded and the system was relying on carbon deposits to make contact. New caps and rotor arms being ordered tomorrow. Just shows what BMW servicing is worth - last week I called in at Knights in Stoke - on Trent (who were very helpful and gave me the last service summary minus client ident. -Insp 2 and other works for £2780! (This was just 4000 miles ago) Love and care pay off I reckon. I think I will order OEM caps and rotors unless anyone knows better.

Thanks for the posts in helping me out. This explains alot of issues on slow pick up at times

Cheers

Bob (Hope the pics come out)

What a beautiful day here today! I got in my 850 started her up after a pleasant lunch and lumpy at low revs also blue smoke and smell of unburnt fuel. Picks up when pressing throttle but something clearly not right. There is a strange clicking noise every second or so near the Bosch fuel pumps? Need to check fuel system components to understand operation, even if just ignition on you can hear the clicking. Nothing strange on dash and I filled up from being nearly on reserve this morning. Any ideas before I start working on her tonight?

Thanks
    Bob

I finally had a look at my steering shake problem and found several components that need replacing on the steering system. Here goes for the most expensive quoted items from my local BMW dealer:

Left rod with rubber mounting 31121139999 £128.08
    Right rod with rubber mounting 31121140000 £128.08
    Left Aluminium wishbone 31121138477 £220.82
    Right Aluminium wishbone 31121138478 £220.82

Does anyone have a recommended source for these that is of reasonable price or is this what we all have to pay? Second hand parts probably not suitable for this element of work.

Thanks in advance, any help welcomed.

Bob
    850CI

Has anyone got any instructions on the best way to remove the radio from the 850 please. I've been to my local audio stockist and we think that a modern replacement can be achieved? I just don't want to scratch any of the fascia whilst finding out. My speakers are shot and I'll be taking one from the door and rear as samples to see which best ones fit.

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

Hi Noggie, I think I am OK as Harry 8 has possibly found a good one for me. If Harry cannot get one then I may take you up on the offer. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Bob :top:

She runs like a dream with the new filters in, but I have had a longstanding problem with bank 1-6 being out of range for fuel/air balancing from diognostics. I reckon this is the issue. Looks like a few people are looking for a spare for me. I think someone has just replaced the unit without the current wire in it.

The ones referred to on ebay look distinctly different to the original. If I can find an original intact, I would feel better.

Cheers

Bob
    850CI

I feel more knowledgeable now about the Mass Air Flow Sensor and looks like a replacement would be the best option. Does anyone know where I could obtain one please. Tried ebay and nothing found. Guess I need a breaker somewhere to remove one? It is a 93 850CI if anyone knows where there could be one.

Alternatively, could the heated filament wire be replaced?

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

I was loading my new K&N air filters in today and noticed something not quite right. In my Air mass sensor on the RHS (13621733678 - no more made?) as you stand looking at the engine I noticed that inside (it was clean) there was no fine filament wire like on the other AMS ! It seems as though only the filament supports were there. Can anyone explain briefly the primary purpose of this device (I'm thinking air flow regulation control?) and what if any difference not having this will do? Is it a small pre-heat wire element?

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

I bought my oil today for my 850CI service and migration to Fully Synthetic oil. I finally opted for Castrol Edge 5W-40. I also got notification that sump gaskets are now in the island for collection tomorrow. So now i have everything...... will take some pictures.

I was looking around on the 8er forum today as there was interest in my engine internals and found this link if anyone is ineterested. I don't think I've seen a better photo session of the M70 engine strip down.....Enjoy;

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean…buildM70/M70rebuild_1.htm

Bob
    850CI

We don't have MOT's in the Channel Islands, we just get along with driving great cars forever. I walked down a road today in town past three cars together - a couple of old Mini's and a Morris minor together. Love it!

We do not have emission controls restrictions either so you can drive what you like as long as it has all the usual tyres and lights working OK :top:

As you say, the speed limits can be restrictive, when you go to the UK though with straight throughs on, the Guernsey plate gives it away as to where you are from. Mine is just a number... The authorities leave us alone. All our plates are black with silver numbers on..

Cheers

Bob
    850CI

Will do. I guess I'm 2-3 weeks away before I get a couple of 850 days to catch up on everything and service her completely.

I had another first this week, the low beam failure alarm check has been on for 6 months with the front fog light failed alarm as well. All looked OK but I did think that the nearside low beam was a little dimmer than the off side, marginal though. The lamp finally failed on Monday. I changed it and on close examination of the filament, it was in good order but the internal connecting wires had been hot, subject to high temperature caused by high resistance. Bingo! This was it some I2(squared)R! the OBC must have calculated the current flowing and noted it was above tolerance and raised the check alarm. Now for the first time, I have no alarms at all. Guess the fog light circuit must be somehow interconnected. Great feeling...

Will keep you posted.

Bob
    850CI :top: